The fab 5!

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Rockinz, Feb 6, 2018.

1. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

I watched every TD/INT for the fab 5 and it is clear to me that Josh Allen is the best prospect at the QB position. Here is my take on these 5 awesome college prospects.

#1 Josh Allen - His arm in unbelievable and really stands out. His throws lead the WR to open space and hits them in stride. Incredible accuracy on the run. Reminds me of Aaron Rodgers/Carson Wentz. Flaws: are he trusts his arm too much and needs to work through progressions quicker.

#2 Josh Rosen - The best combination of accuracy and arm strength from the pocket. Has unbelievable deep ball accuracy. He would of probably been #1 if he didn’t have so many injuries. Reminds me of Joe Flacco/Big Ben. Flaws: needs to stay on the field and get stronger.

#3 Sam Darnold - Quick release with incredible touch on the ball. Has good velocity and can make plays on the run. Hits wide open WRs accurately from the pocket. Reminds me of Matt Ryan. Flaws: looks vanilla sometimes and doesnt show much emotion or love for the game.

#4 Lamar Jackson- Pure athlete that can do it at a high level with his feet and arm. Accurate throws on the run and makes plays with his feet to bail his team out a lot. Reminds me of Tyrod Taylor/RG3. Flaws: not sure his game will translate well at the pro level because he trusts his feet/speed too much.

#5 Baker Mayfield- An absolute gamer. Makes plays happen with his feel for the game and RPO. Has decent arm strength and good accuracy. Reminds me of Andy Dalton on the field with Brett Favre intensity. Flaws: he’s short and has an average arm, could be a product of a system.

I can go on and on about the fab 5 I really dissected these kids. Hopefully they all make it for the franchise who drafts them.

2. NoodleArm

NoodleArm Well-Known Member

Nice analysis. Would you draft any of these 5 at #6? (I'm thinking of Jackson in particular -- do you think he's worth the risk?)

Don likes this.
  3. SolidGoldBowles

SolidGoldBowles Well-Known Member

while everyone is picking apart the free agent options lets talk about the available Qbs in the draft. 1st off the important thing to remember is none have taken a NFL snap obviously. and even 1st round Qbs have a less then 50% sucess rate in the NFL.

Rosen - seems to be the "top prospect overall" for QBs this draft. He's the most pro ready of the class. however he has major character concerns. he isn't a leader, his teammates don't like him. he's a partier and still very immature. a few NFL GMs have expressed concerns over this. He's been critized by his coachines dating back to high school. bringing him to NY can only magnify this and while he's more talented then manziel, he could have a similar career on his hands. You never want a QB that is all about himself and that his teammates won't respect

Darnold - last year he was considered to be the best QB for 2018 and best prospect since luck. However his 2017 season was a big down year. on top of that there have been reports of confidence issues and indecision. he's also turned it over quite a it with INTs and fumbles. he doesn't secure the ball well in the pocket. He also isn't "NFL ready" still to me I think he's got the best chance at success of the bunch

Allen - I'll probably get some slack for this, but he can be hack 2.0 he has the physical talent mac loves and a big arm. His accuracy, mechanics, and vision need a lot of work. his scouting report pretty much reads like hackenburg and we all know how that is turning out. I expect him to need to sit 1-2 years for sure before starting and the NY media and fan base isn't going to be happy with that

Mayfield - he's a smaller QB then the top 3 and lacks the arm strength as well. which could be an issue with playing half his games in NJ. He's accurate though and has great intangibles . Mechanics need a lot of work too. I think he just doens't have the talent of the top 3 though so could be limited in his career.

Jackson - The dark horse of the draft. Many jet fans don't want him for some reason but he's a very compatible prospect to watson last year. watson was slated as a "2nd round talent" yet was drafted in the top 15 and was lighting it up his rookie season. Jackson has a huge arm and is athletic as well. he isn't as big as the top 3 QBs but still has good size. he needs to be in the right system for his skill set and he does have accuracy issues as well

In essence none of these players are a lock. Allen is rumored to be the jets target because of what mac looks for in a QB. FWIW as it stands now pre-combine I'd personally take darnold still if he's there at 6. If not i'd look to slide back for extra picks and grab jackson. Mayfields issues scare me and allen has bust written all over him. Rosen isn't going to make it to 6 and i still think darnold is better then him not for 2018 but for the future.

Noam, westiedog1 and Brook! like this.
  4. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

Think these are fair. Though I would like Rosen more to Rivers than Big Ben.

Rockinz likes this.
  5. King Koopa

King Koopa Well-Known Member

Call me crazy but I’d be happy with any of the 5 top QBs....they all have their strengths and weaknesses but I really do believe that they all could be the guy if everything comes together

I am actually the most worried about Rosen in NY than any of the other potential downsides

Darnold I go back and forth on...his play at times was amazing and other times meh

I love Mayfield’s game and make-up the most overall...a little potential downside character wise but not worried about anything physically

Jackson and Allen are the 2 wildcards that can do things the other guys can’t do physically (Allen arm and Jackson legs)...Weird how Jackson is not wanted at all but hes pretty underrated as a prospect around here. Hes a damn good QB that can also run really well

Rockinz likes this.
  6. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Just like Jackson needs to be in the right system, so does Mayfield and maybe even Darnold. Rosen is the only QB you can plug and play in any system. That said, give me Rosen, Darnold or Jackson and I will be happy.

7. Brook!

Brook! 2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

@SolidGoldBowles

Thanks for your take on these 5 QB's. They are already being discussed in Draft Forum under another thread. I will combine the two.

SolidGoldBowles likes this.
  8. 101GangGreen101

because fans aren't watching him play. They get their information from Mehta and awful Kiper mock drafts. They buy in to the stereotype. I've seen awful comparisons like Terrelle Pryor and RG3

9. SolidGoldBowles

too true. jackson to me seems a lot more like watson. If we can't get darnold i'd take jackson over the rest of the bunch and we can slide back and get him. seems he can be had in the 10-15 range for sure. watson was drafted 12th last year. if we slid back to 10 we could land jackson and an extra pick

10. 101GangGreen101

Jackson, I think is more explosive. Lamar has an effortless release and a stronger arm. Watson, a little more polished in terms of footwork and mechanics. Because of that he's more consistent in terms of accuracy.

I said it before and I will say it again, if Lamar played at Clemson, he would be a top 5 pick, hands down. Probably the first QB taken. His #s would've been even BETTER, but he wouldn't of had the same tutelage in terms of learning concepts of the pro style offense.

Cardinals at 15 are key. If Mayfield gets to 6, the Cardinals can have Mayfield at 6 as long as the deal is right and we get more picks. We take Lamar at 15 and perhaps in the process we get a 2nd rounder to play with. It's a gamble though ... I like Lamar enough to just take him at 6.

Same DarnOld Jets likes this.
  11. BomberJet

BomberJet Well-Known Member

As I have said many times about Jackson, if he pulls the "running back /QB" routine and all the highlites I've seen of him show him running the ball more than passing it , he wont last 2 seasons in the NFL 'cause he'll be on IR faster that you can say Devin Smith.

And again as I have mentioned, he is NOT Mac's type of QB to take such a risk at #6 to draft. He's just as risky as Allen for this very particular reason.

12. 101GangGreen101

The bold is your issue. Also, he will not run nearly as much at the next level. He isn't as risky as Allen, that's just hogwash. Far better player in the pocket.

Josh Allen doesn't do that, instead he runs around and chucks it down the field. Macs type of QB is going to be the type to get him fired.

13. SolidGoldBowles

jackson has a much stronger arm then watson for sure. I also think he's more athletic. Watson as you said though is more polished. To be fair. watson has hopkins and was throwing up jump balls and hopkins is just an unstoppable force with the ball in the air.

almbleamal and 101GangGreen101 like this.
  14. SolidGoldBowles

yeah i initially made a post about us grabbing jackson at 6 a while back and people here were lets say not very happy with it. The more and more I think about it ideally we could land cousins, slide back, draft jackson in the 10-15 range. get an extra pick or 2. and essentially be set at QB for the next 10+ years with great play in 2018. jackson can sit for 2 years and learn from cousins and at that point when jackson is ready we could trade cousins and probably get a 1st rounder in return.

15. 101GangGreen101

Yeah he had Mike Williams, but regardless a very good starting cast. Lamar had a far worse supporting cast. But when people watch Lamar play, they need to watch him on each snap, not just highlights ... you dont learn anything from highlights ... I really like Watson too, but just felt his arm wasn't going to be New York Material. I think Lamars will.

16. 101GangGreen101

I think McCown could be a great example for Lamar Jackson. McCown is very athletic, can teach Lamar what not to do via his McCown-copter experience. Lamar probably you don't have to sit him for 2 years, you can probably have him play by mid-season, or next year at the latest. Just needs to improve his footwork. Strength is an aspect that gets improved over time.

if we get Cousins, I'd rather take the pick and improve the team. Unfortunately, we can't have our cake and eat it too ..

17. SolidGoldBowles

I really see no reason why we can't do both. it all points back to SD and GB both drafting Qbs high despite being set at the position. Even Gb was able to trade a 39 year old favre for a pick. The one thing we have an abundance of is cap room. no reason not to use it to improve. we can grab cousins and jackson easily and still have the same amount of draft picks.

18. BomberJet

BomberJet Well-Known Member

Sorry but I don't agree base on what footage you decide to choose - I viewed several highlite films on him and most of it are him running around the field like a running back. Seen enough of both and I would take my risks on Allen if he's there at #6 instead of Jackson. Allen showed and proved what he can with a good players around him at the Senior Bowl going 9-13 and 2 TDs. Why didn't Jackson show up? Probably because he couldn't fit in with the schemes they were running? He's a project.

Lets be realistic, you really believe Mac is going to chose Lamar over Josh if both are there at 6? I certainly wouldn't bet on it.

Jackson will be picked by a team that likes to use QB option plays lol.

19. Rockinz

I think there is a chance that Allen, Rosen and Darnold are gone by 6 (along with Barkley and Chubb) this will leave them with a decision on Jackson or Mayfield.. In NY the better option is Jackson imo because I feel mayfield doesn’t have the arm strength Jackson has and that is important at the meadowlands. If it falls that way I have no problem taking Jackson.

20. Rockinz

I’d like Cousins but I don’t think he’s got any interest in coming here... That’s the only really viable option unless Jimmy somehow becomes available.

Allen actually has very good mechanics that’s not his problem at all. His progressions were too slow and lack of talent around him (especially his OL) was sub par. He will sky rocket up the draft after the combine just like Rivers did.

almbleamal likes this.