The Empire will be gone in 1 year!

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by Rockinz, Mar 10, 2017.

1. strngplyr

strngplyr Well-Known Member

Lets just say you're right about BB and Brady retiring, if the Patriots are turning down the entire Browns draft for JG shouldn't that give a hint of how good they think he is?

Plus you can no longer pay the narrative of NE not having anything at the skill position, they're loaded.

Probably a top 5 WR trio in JE11, Cooks, and Hogan, a very promising 2nd year player in Mitchell, and Amendola for depth. I may be drawing a blank but Gronk/Allen is likely the most talented TE duo. (This is assuming Cooks/Allen grasp the offense). Lewis and White is easily the best receiver threat duo from the backfield in the NFL.

If JG is half of Brady the offense won't slow down much due to NE's addition to the skill positions in recent seasons, something largely unaddressed for most of TB's career due to lack of need.

I think Brady has at least two seasons, personally, and if JG isn't traded (I'm starting to really think he won't be), then he will likely be franchised next season.

If Hightower can be retained and Butler extended (team has 30+m in cap space still (Gilmore's monster deal is shy of a 9m cap hit this season), the #1 defense (ok, fair enough, wasn't the most grueling offensive slate, still was a top tier defense) in the NFL is arguably stronger as well heading into 2017 and beyond.

This is a team that is prepared for life beyond Brady or BB, minus both will be tough, but regardless of who is playing QB the team is stacked at just about every position with the exception of lead rusher.

2. CJLang

CJLang Well-Known Member

The Pats have never had this amount of cap space in the past. Also, with the cap so high I don't think you can wait until teams blow their cap load and get bargains. Too many teams are flush with cap space.

They control Cooks for two more years, Ealy is a decent contract.
    They did give up a their 1 for Cooks, but the 3rd they are giving the Saints is only 15 spots below the 4th they are getting from the Saints.
    They got Ealy for basically nothing. They let the Panthers move up 8 spots in the pick swap.

Now you have to wonder if JG or Butler get moved to get a couple of picks back.

TonyFtLaud likes this.
  3. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

There does seem to be an atypical lack of foresight. This is by all accounts the deepest draft in a while and they don't have a pick in the top 2 rounds. Something's fishy.

4. strngplyr

strngplyr Well-Known Member

Agreed, but the Pats roster is stacked with high end talent at almost every position. Draft always important, but this is a roster more in need of quality depth that can be found later. LB/RB are biggest needs. I expect/hope HT resigns significantly helping the LB need, Pats haven't paid an RB 2m+ in nearly a decade. Late round pick + someone like Mike Gillislee could fill that role.

5. CJLang

CJLang Well-Known Member

Mike Reissā€¸Verified account @MikeReiss 14h14 hours ago

Patriots draft-pick reset: 3a (72nd, from CAR); 3b (96th); 4 (118th, from NO), 5a (163th); 5b (183rd); 6 (200th, from IND); 7 (239th).

In a deep draft the Pats can fill depth issues in a deep draft in rounds 3-4-5.

• I still get the feeling Butler or JG may get traded for some picks.

6. Have it your way!Congratulations! Your post has sent me over the edge. This will be my last post ever on TGG. You've onvinced me the NFL exists solely for Patriot fan enjoyment. WHy bother watching if they are so prestine and so "stacked"? Well that's easy...so Patriot fans have pin cushions to boost their ego along the way...

No more...

Enjoy your cheat-fest & 10 god damn more rings.

Good riddance..I'm done.

Yay rah rah Patriots.

ERR and DDM like this.
  7. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

May we be so blessed to have the Jets falter on the brink of ring 6.

Five was the record and history. Getting 6 is irrelevant. There won't be anything sweet about not seeing them get 6. They've already won historical bragging rights until the Jets surpass them.

8. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Did you say "till the Jets surpass them"" ?

WTG Blue

9. New England Patriots

New England Patriots Well-Known Member

This thread is going to bring years of joy, thank you!

Woodhead likes this.
  10. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

Did that cross the absurdity threshold?

11. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

AHAHA

Ill take just one more SB in my lifetime

TonyFtLaud likes this.
  12. PickSix

PickSix Well-Known Member

You can't trade a player you've made a tender offer to until they sign the tender. That's why Butler wasn't included. Wait and see what happens after he signs it.

13. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

True.. he is a very small piece to that puzzle for one last run TBH but I get your point.

14. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

they are loading up to try for the perfect record they choked away. maybe tom walks away if they pull it off but i don't think this load up is for a last gasp. its to right what they perceive as the big blemish on their resumes.

15. thankyourevis

thankyourevis Active Member

My point was simply rooting for someone to lose a million dollars when they have a billion is pointless. But i sympathize with your point now i know you live in new england. you live behind enemy lines and might have a little ptsd. Its a tough life being a jets fan in patriot country.

#35 thankyourevis, Mar 11, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2017
  16. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Dynasties like the Pats aren't predictable. When they go they catch everybody by surprise and then nobody can figure out how to put Humpty Dumpy back together again. Management is usually under tremendous pressure at that point because the fans expectations can't be met and you get a blowout management cycle followed by a group that is trying to rebuild, usually unsuccessfully.

Think the Braves of 1991 to 2005 or so as an example. Excellence every year followed by good but not best in the division ever followed by not good.

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  17. felker

felker Active Member

A lot of truth in your posting. One of the things I think football fans underestimate is the impact of ownership on a team. Good ownership is a major component of having a consistently good team. In any sport. The Patriots were nothing until Kraft bought them.

I think the Jets will not be able to compete for championships until their ownership changes.

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  18. PickSix

PickSix Well-Known Member

While I agree with your assessment of the impact of ownership (specifically Kraft's 8 SB appearances in just 23 years of ownership) , there have been instances where a franchise's fortunes change when a meddling owner finally conceded and turned over the reigns (Yankees-Steinbrenner, Bruins-Jacobs, etc). It is possible for a franchise to finally excel under current ownership (49ers-York next?).

19. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

The Patriots have the best QB of all time on their roster and a hall of fame coach. I really don't think the ownership plays as big a role as you believe. The Jets just need to luck into a good franchise QB like you guys did. Without Brady on the roster, the team doesn't have near the same leeway for trading away top notch players like Chandler Jones, stockpiling picks and signing elite players for dirt cheap as they have over the Brady era. Yes, the team is run well, and yes I hate Woody, but I don't think they play as big a role as getting that elite QB.