The Dalvin Cook Conundrum

Discussion in 'Draft' started by BroadwayAaron, Apr 28, 2017.

1. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

If GB doesn't select him and no team trades up for him, Dalvin Cook should be sitting in our laps tonight at 39. He's arguably the best RB in this draft but he's got noted character issues and doesn't have the best support system around him.

He can end up being a stud for ten years, he can end up flaming out after 3. With as many holes as we have, do you pull the trigger on Cook if he's there? And do you think Maccagnan will pull the trigger considering he's made it clear he's not looking for any troublemakers?

Personally... I say take the risk. You need a homerun hitter and your offense needs an identity. Cook gives you both.

2. Jets_Grinch

Jets_Grinch Well-Known Member

Depends what Mac has learned behind the scenes. I can only imagine how much info they have on this kid and the amount of risk reward analysis they have done. If he is there for the taking and they don't i suspect his true character flaws are too glaring to overcome as appose to just needing some better PR and a little mentorship.

3. Peebag

Peebag Well-Known Member

Why not take a chance? This team's a dumpster fire anyway.

matt robinson 17 likes this.
  4. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

I'd take him he's a steal at 39

5. joykilla

joykilla Member

As a lifelong FSU fan and someone who has watched every snap this kid has as well as interacted with him multiple times. This kid will be a stud. Can I guarantee he will stay healthy with his hammy? No. But he can do it all and would be a huge playmaker on our team.

I hope he is there.

6. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

He's worth the risk. I think he's a serious game changer as a runner and receiver.

TonyFtLaud and matt robinson 17 like this.
  7. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

We have to play offense too, some offensive picks should be coming, how about a TE , God forbid

JetsNation06 likes this.
  8. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

He's good man but this draft is loaded with running backs. I would pass simply because you could probably get a Semaje Perine in late round 3 who is almost as good as Cook.

use this pick in the early second round to get yourself a type of talent that wont be around later... like say a proven Tackle in Cam Robinson, one of the good corners left, or even a WR like Smith-Schuster

9. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

I'd probably pass. There's an abundance of high quality talent available. If there weren't I'd grab him and not look back but considering they can get someone else who will be a solid starter I'd weigh the off the field stuff just a bit heavier right now.

Sent from my KIW-L24 using Tapatalk

10. RubenDias

RubenDias Well-Known Member

I doubt robinson passes the seahwaks but he has versatility all over the line from tackle to guard only not at center

Jets_Grinch likes this.
  11. sackexchange

sackexchange Well-Known Member

I don't hate the idea of taking Cook because there's good value. But I would prefer a CB here or possibly Cam Robinson-OT or Tim Williams-LB.

Wondering if TE Jake Butt-Fumble will still be there in Round 3.

Jets_Grinch likes this.
  12. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

No conundrum. Pass. Off field concerns, ball security questions, and surgeries. Pass, pass, pass.

Give me Forrest Lamp.

13. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

I'm taking him no question. Love his ability.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

14. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Jeeze, look at the responses here. I guess conundrum is a perfect word to describe it.

I personally take him and run because I don't know that you're going to get that level of talent in the third. There are other good RBs, but I don't think they'll be there and they don't have the star potential Cook does. That being said, if we somehow end up with Kamara... I'm fine with passing on Cook.

15. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

another thing I worry about with cook is the amount of touches he's gotten. FSU ran the shit the outta him. Over 300 touches last year. I believe that kind of workload has an effect on running backs in both the NFL and college.

Red Menace likes this.
  16. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

No, imo there is no conundrum. I wouldn't even consider him. Mac doesn't want character issues. The team is rebuilding and they should be seeking to develop an identity with the right kind of players with good attitudes and character. IMO Cook does not fit that mold regardless of how fast, how elusive he is as a runner, or how good he is as a receiver. He has injury issues and serious character issues. I hope he's not even on the Jets' draft board.

17. #28Martin

#28Martin Well-Known Member

Cook is a no brainer. There were some who initially liked him more then Fournette. Would be an absolute gift. They can't ignore the offense.

tomdeb and TonyFtLaud like this.
  18. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

I also agree there is no conundrum. If he is there, which I doubt you take him. Unless of course Mixon is on the Jets board, then you take him over Cook.

19. Jay Bizniss

Jay Bizniss Well-Known Member

Can't take Mixon as the circus isn't worth the potential talent. If they take Mixon that is all you will hear about for the next 8 months. No thanks.

20. Jay Bizniss

Jay Bizniss Well-Known Member

Would be thrilled to start upgrading the offensive line.