The case for Sam not playing anymore in 2018

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Cman68, Nov 14, 2018.

1. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

David Carr had a 10 year NFL career and made around 50 million and he wasn't that good.

2. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Yeah, after getting his ass smashed for the majority of those 10 years. Only so many hits a normal human will take. Sam needs an oline or he needs to sit until Macc stumbles into one. If Sam really is a FQB, then we need to protect him or get ready to draft our NEXT FQB after Sam gets seriously injured eithet mentally or physically.

JetsNation06, twown and NYJetsO12 like this.
  3. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

I think most of you guys thinking on whether he goes out there and plays are divided down the middle by entertainment value vs safety imo

Whether its Sam Josh or Davis out their it will be a slaughter given the 6 teams we are due to play: New Eng, Tennessee, Buffalo, Houston, Green Bay and the finale with the Pats ...except for Buffalo all are Playoff Contenders and will be all mean business on the field

Hmmm...let see at 40 points a game against us and about 10 points per game scoring by Jets that will be a grand total of 240 to 60 humiliation:(

So unless you a complete machocist or drunk there is no entertainment value here ..I bet almost all of you will be on here bitchin after each lopsided loss

Oh and of course there is nothing to protect your FQB ...go figure

4. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Carr came out of a small time program and was destroyed. Sam isn't getting hit at close to the level that Carr was. He's not getting hit at close to the level Wilson and Rodgers are getting hit at. NFL QB's are so much more protected it's not even remotely the same thing. Carr was getting slammed down to the turf, speared and hit in the head routinely. Sam is playing flag football by comparison.

#64 Biggs, Nov 18, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2018
  5. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

The Alex Smith injury today just reiterated what I've been saying

As big a Darnold is , JJ Watt falling on top of him 12/15 won't be a picnic

6. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

The other line of thinking is Sam can head into 2019 saying "I played JJ Watt. I played a Belichick defense twice. I played a tough Titans defense. I played a tough Bills defense. I played against Aaron Rodgers."

Experience counts. That is where my vote goes. No doubt there is risk playing him. That is obvious. It's football.

7. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

As long as the risk is an acceptable level of risk, ok. There's a difference between an acceptable level of risk and foolhardy risk, and I'm not sure that things might have already crossed the line and be too risky. We will just have to hope that he will not be damaged mentally or physically.

8. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

He shouldn't have started this year to begin with... We can send him back to the bench and protect the kid.

9. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

10. jerseyjay14

jerseyjay14 Well-Known Member

if he is healthy he needs to be out there. we will have anohter top 5 pick and need to know if we need to consider drafting a QB or not

11. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

Unless Darnold's injury turns out to be potentially career-ending there is zero chance that the Jets are using a top 5 pick (or, for that matter, any pick in the first three rounds) to draft another quarterback in 2019.

12. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

The person you quoted started a Darnold = Sanchez 2.0 thread many weeks ago.

13. I mean how far are we gonna go w this? Theres an overabundance of subpar OL play going on in the NFL right now..should every single young QB be sitting as a result?Rosen & Allen both are dealing w crappy OLs just as well.

For every David Carr theres Peyton Manning & Troy Aikman who survived early behind terrible OL play. Are we saying that Darnold is some kind of special case?Guess what hes not.

Everybody is screaming for the team to draft OL next year.Not a bad idea but should Sam sit all of next year too then? If the team starts a youth movement up front theres a very good chance theyll be WORSE than this year’s OL over the short term as cohesion & development take shape.

Im just trying to make sense of this prevailing opinion bc i see some holes..and thats not to say i think Darnold should be playing just how far does this fear of him getting hurt reach?

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  14. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

If Darnold is healthy then he should be in there as the starter. It's good for several reasons. It shows his leadership, gets him the valuable reps he needs and gets him to work on some of his mechanical issues in real game action.

The Jets O Line isn't even the worst in this town. That honor belongs to the atrocious Giants line. Sure we want to protect our investment. But as someone else pointed out this is football and Darnold needs to be playing unless seriously injured. No need to get all helicopter parent and be too overly protective of the kid. Get him out there and evaluate his performance.

stinkyB likes this.
  15. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Dude.

16. Cman68

He will also learn how to lose..

17. Just like Aikman & Manning did?

CotcheryFan likes this.
  18. nyjetsmets89

nyjetsmets89 Well-Known Member

It’s better he sits this season out so he doesn’t pass Rosen in INT and hurts the feelings of his fanboys out there. Seems about right

19. Cman68

Perhaps.. Not sure if those teams were competitive. its one thing to lose, quite another to get your ass handed to you weekly. Not sure what lessons one could take from a weekly ass kickin.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  20. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

True but it's all part of the process. He can handle it.