The case for keeping Hackenberg in 2018

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by GasedAndConfused, May 11, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Why use a roster spot for a coach? It's not like are not a few other needs.

2. Jay Bizniss

Jay Bizniss Well-Known Member

I'd rather McCown the coach be there than some extra Corner who will see the field 5 times this season. And god forbid something happens to Darnold, McCown can come in and at least be serviceable.

ColoradoContrails and NCJetsfan like this.
  3. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

How many player slots is acceptable to use up for someone who will be coaching? I say none. The answer is to have good coaches who are only coaches and use every roster spot for actual players who can contribute on the field. Why can't the Jets just find great coaches to coach?

4. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

If it gets you max return on their biggest longterm investment in years......

FJF likes this.
  5. Rollo Tomassi

Rollo Tomassi Well-Known Member

And there is a fair likelihood, while it’s nobodies preference, he may actually be the most competent QB coming out of preseason.

And I don’t even like they guy (so please don’t accuse me of defending him or promoting him) but if Teddy is not healthy and they have any hesitancy to start Sam off the bat, he would be, in fact, not a coach but the starting QB of the New York Jets.

6. Jay Bizniss

Agreed. I have nothing against him and would love for the rookie to start, but if he is the guy Week 1 he is the guy and I am 100% OK with that.

TwoHeadedMonster likes this.
  7. Rollo Tomassi

It’s funny that children here jump to the conclusion that the Jets hired McCown for $10 million to be a coach.

The Jets paid McCown $10 million MONTHS ago because (i) they didn’t have Teddy, (ii) the had no idea they’d be drafting Darnold, (iii) there were no other experienced NFL QBs on the roster and (iv) $10 million for one year for a starting NFL QB is pretty below market- as mediocre as McCown is.

Again, not a McCown fan and I’m not defending him but the Jets had to lock him up or someone like him going into FA.

They didn’t give him $10 million yesterday.

8. Jay Bizniss

They paid him that knowing they would draft someone, but he is the insurance policy in case the rookie isn't ready. The added benefit to this, is that he is WILLING to coach up the rook. He knows his place on this team, and knows that Sam is the future. Is $10 million a bit high for someone of his caliber? Yes. But when you have the surplus of money, its all good. They made the right move paying a little extra to keep that continuity in the locker room. I am very happy with our QB room (McCown, Darnold and one of Teddy/Hack)

9. Rollo Tomassi

And again, lest I be accused of “defending” McCown because I’m not, but what do you think is a better value?

$10 million 1 year for McCown with $0 cap hit next year or the $15 million we paid Fitz in 2016 with the $5 million cap hit last year when he was playing for TB.

Not saying two wrongs make a right but McCown is not a coach and he’s not just taking up a roster spot.

As distasteful as it sounds, he’s the starting QB of our New York Jets until Teddy proves he’s healthy or Sam proves he can handle it job.

10. Jay Bizniss

I am with you bud. I think McCown is the better value by far between the two. I have zero issues with McCown starting half the games this season if Darnold isn't ready. I do think Darnold is going to light it up though, and the coaching staff will have no choice but to start him Week 1. He is the best QB in that room hands down. Now it's a matter of getting the mental part down.

11. NotSatoshiNakamoto

Is it time to lose the Geno avatar yet?

12. Jay Bizniss

Probably when I see a shot of Darnold in the tunnel Week 1.

13. RobA

RobA 2005-2007 TGG.com Most Optimistic Award Winner

Not a fan. Honestly, if Teddy isn't ready, I could see us only carrying 2 QBs on the roster this year. Or better, he is ready, lights it up in the pre-season and we ship him off to a team desperate for a starting QB.

14. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

Just heard that this case was thrown out of court ,,,just sayin

15. BudJet

BudJet Well-Known Member

I think McCown starts the first 4 games due to schedule 3 of 4 on road & I believe we play 3 games in 10 days (monday, Sunday & thursday) that's a lot to ask of a rookie. I think the perfect game to play Sam is home game 6 vs the Colts. Game 5 is vs the Broncos and their great pass rush.
    Let him start against a weak Colts team, giving him a chance to win & 10 more games this year to break him in for the '19 season. I would be happy with Sam starting 11 games this year. That would be enough time to get use to the speed of the NFL & pick McCown brains and learn the nuances of being a starting QB

#75 BudJet, May 17, 2018
    Last edited: May 17, 2018
  16. Jay Bizniss

Wouldn't be mad at this. I would love to see Darnold vs Mayfield Week 3 though.

17. LF911SC

LF911SC Well-Known Member

They signed him and others, like Teddy, as soon as they were informed by Cousins agent that he would visit Minny first and wouldn't guarantee he would get to us. Macc decided right then and there to go to plan B which was a draft QB and FAs.

18. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

19. Jay Bizniss

20. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

Wait, is your avatar a poverty shop of Geno's broken jaw?

I must have missed this.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.