The Blue Print?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Patriot, Sep 21, 2017.

1. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Good point in general, TwoHeaded, and I agree in principle, but I think whatever offensive system we run should be based on the QB that we draft. We should run a system that puts him a position to succeed and where his talents will be maximized, but also that hopefully fits the talents of the players that are already here. In terms of the QB position, I think Hack is better-suited to a downfield passing attack, but I think Petty could do well in that or a WCO. I don't know for certain but suspect that Darnold and Rosen could succeed in either. Morton looks like he could be a very good OC. It would be ideal if the new HC decided to keep him and we could keep that consistency and stability, but I'd be surprised if that happened. Once we get our new HC, then things should be stable for at least 3 years, and hopefully, for much longer beyond that.

I also think our D probably needs to switch to a 4-3, but would leave that up to the new HC and DC. I want systems that fit our players, not ones that try to fit square pegs into round holes.

2. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

First, I fully agree with Pulsejet: return to their roots as a high-flying offensive show with a decent, big play defense.

To get there, hire a President of Football Ops who knows who to build a franchise in the NFL and let him hire the GM (and I would give him the latitude to keep Macc if he thought he were the best candidate), and CS. He would ensure that players were obtained that support the "Jets Way" - high scoring offense; hard working, "gamers" who never quit. They would start with getting a FQB that would be the face of this new team. Personally, this year, I like Rosen so far, but Darnold might be good too. Whether by draft or FA, a stud RB; OL; Pass Rusher; stud WR; LB, CBs That's a lot of holes to fill but should be doable in two years at most, at least to get substantial improvement. I would be counting on a SB appearance by Year 3, and a championship by Year 4.

boozer32 likes this.
  3. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

Very true.

The beauty of having a terrible season followed by the firing of a coaching staff, hiring of a new coaching staff, and capped with a top draft pick: Your brand new coaching staff can evaluate the available QBs and pick the one that best fits the system they want to develop.

boozer32 and ColoradoContrails like this.
  4. RuJFan

RuJFan Well-Known Member

So......
    I finally got a chance to talk to some people "close to Jets FO". No, not Bowles, think higher.
    Nope, still a little higher.. :)

The outlines of the plan are thus:

This year ride McCown as far as possible. Basically, he is the sacrificial fitting that does 2 things: keeps backup QBs from getting killed and pretty much ensures highest possible pick.

Next draft pick QB with 1st pick, hopefully 1st overall. They are watching all top prospect, but I got a feeling the FO at the moment is hot for Rosen.

Next OS they're unloading most of the $$ bag on OL. I imagine if high OL prospect survives to 2nd, they'll take him and spend elsewhere, or save for next year. But the plan is to built up OL, big time.

Next season the QBs are Petty, Hack, draftee. Petty being default starter per current thinking, but this might change...

... might change because Bowles is being evaluated, and he knows it. McCown is the stop gap and is NOT a part of evaluation.

I imagine Macc doesn't talk to Bowles about his HC plans. Maybe he has a target HC in mind, maybe not. Will see.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  5. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

Great points but I think it has to start with the coach and his vision and abilities. The Patriots have drafted in the bottom of the draft consistently but yet they are able to field talent without real big splashy free agent signings. So that means they have gotten great play from coaching up their talent. That is what the Jets need more than anything. You can draft mediocre talent its what you do with it after.

6. ColoradoContrails

If what you say is legit, there is hope.

boozer32 likes this.
  7. RuJFan

RuJFan Well-Known Member

I hope it's legit. The person who told me didn't look like bullshit, but things change.

8. Patriot

Patriot Well-Known Member

Very well articulated and you make some excellent points. Your point about a cannon arm makes sense when you consider the winter conditions of New York. So with this type of offense would you want short fast agile receivers or taller sure handed receivers?

9. Patriot

I agree on the importance of an offensive line, but how exactly do you build one?

10. Patriot

The Colts have a FQB but the offensive line appears to have stunted his growth. Maybe this is a bad analogy, the offensive line for a QB is like soil for a plant. With out good soil no plant can grow! So no offensive line equates to no FQB. Do the Jets have an offensive line where a FQB can flourish?

TwoHeadedMonster likes this.
  11. Patriot

Excellent point about having just one system. So the question becomes what offensive system which then leads to what offensive coordinator should be in charge. The Patriots still employ the Charlie Weis system which has gone through some tweaks over the years. What is ironic is that Parcells was not a big fan of Charlie Weis when in New York.

12. Patriot

I am impressed and this is another well thought answer. How long is the lease for Metlife Stadium? Also Tom Coughlin was available awhile back, would he have fit the bill?

13. Patriot

The Jets could ask for a variance or waiver of the code couldn't they? In all seriousness, I think a big in your face Time Square parade with fireworks and military Jets in the sky would be appropriate.

Will-I-Am-Not likes this.
  14. Patriot

You make a great point here. So the offensive system employed is important as long as having a good offensive line. So from your response and others there appears to be a theme of the offensive philosophy being employed and its management are crucial. So are we all confident that the offensive coordinator Morton and offensive line coach Marshall are coaches that should be kept? Should the Jets also have a head coach that is more offensive minded?

15. PulseJet

PulseJet Well-Known Member

New England has worse weather, and has had both recievers. Short fast: Welker, Edelman Tall Big: Gronk

You need both.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  16. ColoradoContrails

If you have a true FQB, it doesn't matter what type of receivers you have, as long as they're sure handed - he'll get them the ball. Brady doesn't seem to have any trouble, regardless who he's throwing to.

17. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

Are you serious? Draft, free agents...etc...

18. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

I think the whole concept of whether a HC is "offensive minded" or "defensive minded" is overblown.

Brian Billick was a high-flying offensive coordinator with the Vikings, but won a SB with the Ravens record setting defense.
    Bill Belichick was a top-shelf defensive coordinator, but nobody has chalked his SB rings up to defensive prowess since the days of Teddy Bruschi and Mike Vrabel.
    There are plenty of other examples.

The point is, it doesn't matter if the guy is "Punting minded", but he needs to be a true leader and a man of vision.

Sadly, Rex has been the closest the Jets have been to that this millennium, and his vision (groud-and-pound offense + don't-give-a-yard defense) was not realistic under today's rules. I do think the collective bargaining agreement and the new limits on contact practices had a bigger effect on some teams than others, and the teams most affected were those who were trying to win in the trenches--this change is too often overlooked or underappreciated.

BacktoQueens likes this.
  19. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

I wish I had the opportunity to talk to Maccagnan this season.

I talked to him last season. Funny enough, it seemed like some of the recommendations I made were installed (of course most likely coincidental due to logical reasoning for problem resolution.)

20. ColoradoContrails

Excellent points!

Your point about "offensive minded" vs. "defensive minded" made me reconsider just what I mean when I think of those terms. When I say I want an "offensive minded" HC, I don't necessarily mean he has to have been an OC, but rather that he's open-minded, and can grasp the ENTIRE aspect of coaching a team. He needs to understand offensive concepts and be able to implement them and make in-game adjustments to them, just the same as he has to be able to do for the defense. Rex could make those adjustments for the "D", but seemed oblivious about anything when the Jets had the ball.

So, based upon your point, I would revise my shopping list to ask for a COMPLETE HC.