The argument for taking a QB at 6

Discussion in 'Draft' started by JethroTull, Mar 12, 2017.

1. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I've been on record as rooting for Mahomes or Watson with the #6 pick, but after digesting a lot of the assessments, not just of those two, but many other players, I'm starting to reconsider. I still believe that getting their FQB is a priority, and they can't simply "tank" for a high draft pick next year, even if they would even consider doing that, which I don't believe they would. And I would be really disappointed if Mahomes and Watson were both taken before the Jets second or third pick, especially if they proved to be the FQB I believe both can be. BUT...

There is growing consensus that a few of the Big 5 QBs will fall out of the 1st round, and Mahomes might be one of those. And while I would hate not having him on the Jets, there are two other QBs who I think have a lot of potential to start for the Jets early in their career (unlike Pettenberg):

1. Davis Webb - see review of his here:
    http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2017/03/14/nfl-draft-davis-webb-first-round-quarterbacks-obi-melifonwu

2. Nate Peterman -
    http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/profiles/nathan-peterman?id=2558191

I think it's likely these guys will be there in the 3rd round, so taking a QB at 6 wouldn't be so critical, and from what I've read and watching the Combine work I think both could start for the Jets pretty quickly. So a trade down - GASP!!! - from 6, ideally no farther than 13, and picking up another 2nd rounder (or more?), would enable them to probably grab a stud with their 1st pick (Maybe Cook falls to there, or McCaffery - I know NC you hate them both, but I think they would both take pressure off the QB), and also pick up more quality through their first 4-5 picks. I don't think OJ will still be there at 13, but Melafonwu might be, and while I favor going "O" early, Obi would be a great addition.

2. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The consensus on the draft at this point is that no QB is worth a top ten pick and several prominent analysts believe there is no 1st round quality QB in the draft.

Given that playing field I think the Jets are likely to see the heavy talent gone by the 6 pick, which is no disaster given that three of them at least are on the DL.

I think a trade down looks really good if it's possible to do that however the Jets need to be prepared to take a very solid player on the 6, somebody who will contribute as a starter on the field next year. I'd be looking at guys with 3 years playing experience and size and speed on that pick.

3. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

Jets will be absolutely kicking themselves a few years from now on if they have a shot at Howard or Fournette and don't take it.

A strong argument can be made for Hooker too.

cgrec likes this.
  4. Martin&theJETS

Martin&theJETS Well-Known Member

Adams and Fournette will be gone. The pick should be Hooker, Howard, Williams, Foster, or Barnett. A trade down would be beautiful where we could grab a skill player and a OT. But, I just do not see it happening.

The top of the draft will probably unfold as such:

1. Browns: Garrett
    2. 49ers: Thomas
    3. Bears: Adams
    4. Jags: Fournette
    5. Titans: Hooker/Allen

Hopefully the Titans take Lattimore or something. I would like one of the S to fall to us. However, I would be completely content with Howard, Williams, Foster, or Barnett. If we take Lattimore I will fucking choke myself out.

Br4d, 101GangGreen101 and Red Menace like this.
  5. JethroTull

JethroTull 2018 Least Knowledgeable Poster

Lattimore is a stud. Not sure why you would be so upset. He's probably the best CB prospect since Patrick Peterson.

OSU plays a ton of man to man defense and QBs only had a 30 QB rating when throwing at him .

6. Martin&theJETS

Martin&theJETS Well-Known Member

He has played only 1 full season in college. Lattimore battled injuries throughout his college career and his hamstrings were so fucked up he had to have surgery. On top of that the glass man injured himself wearing shorts at the combine...

Lattimore has a hell of a time staying healthy, this issue will not cease in the pros. He is Dee Milliner 2.0 and would cause me to admit myself into an institution if he is our 1st round pick...

Red Menace and ColoradoContrails like this.
  7. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I don't hate either. I have concerns about Cook's character, and McCaffrey I see more as a receiver than RB and too similar to Powell. If we didn't have Powell, I'd be more inclined to take McCaffrey, but I really think we need more of a power back and/or a workhorse type back to be the starter and carry the majority of the load. At Forte's age, I just don't think there's a lot of tread left. I like Powell alot, but he's no spring chicken either, and I don't think he could handle a very heavy workload. That's why I'd rather see the Jets with Fournette, Foreman, or Kamara from U. Tenn.

As for QBs, if Mac takes a QB in this draft, while I would love Mahomes, I think it will be one of the two you listed above.

8. ColoradoContrails

I hear your concerns about Cook's character, and they bear consideration, but he's got off the charts talent and his type of game would mesh well with the Jets. With McCaffrey I also see your point. but he's such a competitor, and willing to do whatever it takes to win, I just think he wold be a great addition to the Jets all around. Given your concerns about character, I would think you might weigh his more favorably.

As for Foreman or Kamara, I wouldn't take them with the first pick even at 12, 13, 14, probably not until the 3rd round, and if they weren't there, I have confidence others or equal ability would be.

9. Br4d

Mr. Glass.

101GangGreen101 likes this.
  10. Br4d

If a trade down cant be worked out then yes the Jets need to grab the best player at 6. Fournette is a risk because he's already missing games due to wear and tear injuries (ankle ligaments) at the college level. That won't get better at the NFL level.

11. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

This guy is the sequel and we all know how sequels tend to pan out ...

Br4d likes this.
  12. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

I agree about Fournette being a risk but it's a risk worth taking. If the Jets are serious about trying to get something out of Hackenberg, Fournette should do wonders for opening up the offense for Hack.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  13. NCJetsfan

I disagree that Cook's talents would mesh well with the Jets. Perhaps once they upgrade their OL, but not now. He can't break tackles, and I'm not sure he can create on his own when the blocking isn't adequate.

Both Kamara and Foreman are rated by the media as 2nd round picks. We'll see where the NFL GMs rate them, but I'd be very surprised if either dropped to the 3rd round. The 1st round is too high for them, but not the 2nd imo.

14. JetLifeLo

JetLifeLo Well-Known Member

and if he passes on Watson and he makes an instant impact, rookie of the year, multi-year pro-bowler, maybe even SB champion one day.... looks worse on Mac's resume and continues the SOJ mantra.

15. JetLifeLo

JetLifeLo Well-Known Member

Yes you can... build a team first then draft a QB.. Dallas literally just did it.

16. LeonNYJ

LeonNYJ Well-Known Member

RB, WR, TE, OL stack them up then draft a QB... unless you happen to get a top pick and a complete stud is coming out that year.

17. Br4d

The Cowboys built a team for Romo and then lucked out with Prescott.

It's very possible that they thought they'd get a good QB out of the draft in the near future but they were going to have to work very hard to do that because of their likely draft positions with Romo plus the build around him.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  18. ColoradoContrails

Good point. The Jets are not in the same position as the Cowboys. Dallas had what it thought was their FQB, whom they've had for a while and added pieced around him not the other way around.

If possible, get your QB, then build around him because:

A. You want to add guys that complement your QB's strengths.
    B. The QB is typically the player with the longest career, so you start him him and add the pieces with the shorter shelf life afterwards.

19. ColoradoContrails

We'll have to agree to disagree with Cook. He's not a power back, true, but he's so shifty and elusive, and his pass catching ability makes him a dual threat, and can score on any play. This is something the Jets have lacked, well, forever. If all they want is a "pedestrian back", those are a dime a dozen, but Cook's talents are rare. He's not a good blocking back, but that's a shortcoming that can be worked around. Again, I prefer Fournette, but if they traded down and Fournette isn't there, Cook would be a good addition. IDK if Kamara or Foreman are that much better than some others that will be there in the 3rd and later rounds. Maybe I need to see more tape or analysis on them.

20. NCJetsfan

LOL It's not the first time we've disagree, my friend, and probably won't be the last, but that's cool. No one ever said that we had to agree all the time. That would be boring.

Cook is shifty and elusive, but I don't think he's on Barry Sanders' level. The problem with Cook is that he has almost zero ability to break tackles, and he goes down very easily. If his character were ok and the Jets' OL a lot better, then I'd agree with you that he'd be a great choice for the Jets. I think chances are that he will do very well on another team. I just don't think as presently constructed, he would be very effective his first year or two on the Jets, and would probably take a pounding, which could cause him to lose some speed, desire, and maybe even be injured.

I definitely want a RB that's a HR threat and can score from anywhere on the field. I don't want another CuMar type back that has to get 30 touches a game and is not a threat to break off long TD runs. I know that you prefer Fournette, as do I.

I think that Kamara is very close to being on McCaffery's level as a receiver and is a better RB. Foreman may be a notch below that, but the thing that he brings to the table is power ala Fournette, just not the speed. IMO the only other RB in the class that I've seen play several time and/or have seen substantial vide on is Mixon, and I wouldn't take him at all.