The argument for taking a QB at 6

Discussion in 'Draft' started by JethroTull, Mar 12, 2017.

1. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

1. I've been saying QB matters a lot. [You know it.]
    2. I hated trading up for Sanchez. [You can check it.]
    3. I hated Geno pick with passion.
    4. I absolutely hated 2014 draft, when Jets let real good QB prospects [Derek Carr/Teddy Bridgewater/AJ McCarron et al] just slide by.
    5. If Jets didn't trade up for Sanchez, or drafted someone else in place of Geno, they surely will have more pieces around, no? Minimum 3, I say.

Red Menace and TwoHeadedMonster like this.
  2. BomberJet

BomberJet Well-Known Member

It's not so much as limiting ones self with other positions; it's more that trying to evaluate that QB pick within a short span of time. Impossible!

No NFL team worth their salt does that - not even Dallas with their lottery find QB of Prescott that was quite unexpected only when Romo got injured.

Revolving door QB's.......... a new concept only the Jets can invent.

#62 BomberJet, Mar 14, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2017
  3. BomberJet

omg, trade up for a QB in one of the worse QB drafts known recently? Glad your not a Jet GM,:rolleyes:

4. DSL97

DSL97 Member

I think you misinterpreted his message. He wants a team to trade up to OUR spot (aka we trade back) and pick a QB at whatever pick we traded back to.

5. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

Well being that you haven't even mastered basic reading comprehension I'm glad your not Jets GM either.

6. BomberJet

" and a team to trade up".....that can be read 2 different ways...... it should be written " and a team to trade down to".......lets have some better written grammar, lol......but I agree with your idea.

7. pdxdrew

pdxdrew Well-Known Member

Macc will take the PPA and I can't say I blame him. We have so many holes on this team and I wouldn't mid tanking for Darnold. We aren't going anywhere for a while.

8. BLottZ

BLottZ Member

PFF has us trading up to #2 for Trubisky. (plz nooooooooo)

9. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

Well done!

As long as you're not advocating trading up for a QB, or trying to draft 6 of them every year, as though they were VLT lottery tickets, I've got no complaints. Good calling me out, though. I should have clarified that I meant those who advocate selling out for QBs, then whining about the price paid, rather than anyone who simply acknowledges the importance of the QB in today's game (anyone who doesn't isn't paying attention or is actively trolling).

I'm right there with you on all your points, except that I didn't really hate the Geno pick at the time, the team needed a QB, and he was drafted below projected value. My problem with it is that the team let his presence keep them from pursuing Bridgewater the following year.

10. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

Trading up in this draft would be a very poor decision, especially for Trubisky.

Sent from my KIW-L24 using Tapatalk

TwoHeadedMonster likes this.
  11. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

Unless of course Trubisky turns out to be that elusive franchise QB we been searching for for the past couple decades. Then no one will care that we traded up for him.

12. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

Sure. But if you were GM, would you take that gamble the year after whiffing on Hackenberg? If you make that pick, you admit to whiffing on Hackenberg.

Not so simple when you are in the hot seat.

Sent from my KIW-L24 using Tapatalk

13. JohnnyP123456

JohnnyP123456 Well-Known Member

Even if Trubisky ends up being a FQB chances are high that we would be similar to Andrew Luck and the Colts. An excellent QB and holes everywhere else on the roster.

14. Pags2112

Pags2112 Well-Known Member

Considering the Hackenberg pick and all the holes on our roster (though I think we have something already to build on) IMO, MM really try's to wheel and deal this pick, but will select a QB, in the later rounds. Lets see who's stocks rise or fall .. and perhaps some franchises might already be satisfied with their QB situation and avoid going QB in round 1(Cleveland, Bears, Frisco) if the value is there, I can see us selecting a QB in round two. With MM stating, "He was the highest rated player on our board at the time"

15. Pags2112

I read a lot of different opinions on him .. some rate him high some don't. There is talk about his poor performances and being benched effecting his stock. I liked him at first but after doing a little research and looking at his and other QB's film .. the more I'm liking the other QB's declared for the draft. Trubisky .. yes Trubisky, if he's there, at 6. Pat Mahomes is a tough call taking at 6, but there's something about him that draws me in, but is he ready to play day 1. In the later rounds I'd take a guy like Nate Peterman, though he isn't a flashy pick he comes in with plenty of Pro Style Offense experience. I can see Peterman surprising everyone in camp.

nicg4360 likes this.
  16. LarryAlRalph

LarryAlRalph Well-Known Member

Why spend a #6 on a guy who won't play? We have too many other pressing needs to do that.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  17. Jedi mind tricks

Jedi mind tricks Well-Known Member

I've said I'm fine with them taking a QB wherever they want but I hope it's not Trubinsky. Kid couldn't even do a hard count correctly on Gruden's camp. Really don't like the thought of drafting anyone who's only started one year that high (includes Hooker at S)

NCJetsfan and Pags2112 like this.
  18. nicg4360

nicg4360 Well-Known Member

Peterman is such a Mac type of pick...High football IQ ...Knows pro style offence and available in 2-3 rounds....I would almost say bank on it.

Pags2112 likes this.
  19. Pags2112

Shoot I forgot about Gruden Camp .. thought it was canceled .. are all the prospects on the show? I'm going to binge watch tomorrow as I have a day off. Thanks for posting that

Scratch that .. the damn show's season hasn't even finished airing yet lol.

#79 Pags2112, Mar 14, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2017
    Jedi mind tricks likes this.
  20. Pags2112

If we don't pick up a QB with an early pick I can also see it happening. What scares me about Mahomes is that he comes from an Air Raid offense and there has been practically no success with QB's from that system. Goff will probably be the Rams Geno.

Red Menace likes this.