The argument for taking a QB at 6

Discussion in 'Draft' started by JethroTull, Mar 12, 2017.

1. John

John Active Member

draft watson at 6 pls

JetLifeLo likes this.
  2. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

c
    I agree with the philosophy, but would prefer Mahomes...I would take Watson if Mahomes was already taken though.

3. JethroTull

JethroTull 2018 Least Knowledgeable Poster

McCagnan drafted Hackenberg. Anyone who followed that program could tell you that he wasn't making it in the NFL. I know the jury is still out but year 1 made it seem pretty likely he's not the answer.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  4. alleycat9

alleycat9 Well-Known Member

where do folks see kizer coming off hte board? i like him alot and think he has the smarts to play qb in the nfl. most guys have the arm, not many have the smarts and toughness. i think that kid does.

5. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

I think Kizer and the Browns are a match. Not sure on which pick though, definitely not the #1.

6. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

I love all the TGG posters who scream and shout about how "QB is the only position that matters!", then, when the Jets trade up for a QB (Sanchez) or wait until one drops to them (Geno), those same posters scream and shout about how those QBs are set up for failure because they have a terrible supporting cast.

You can't have it both ways, folks.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  7. Pags2112

Pags2112 Well-Known Member

As it was written long ago .. May the Powers that be of the NFL Universe complete the prophecy and send forth the chosen ones that will bestow upon us a bounty of Day 1 and 2 picks and shower upon us a multitude of Day 3 picks.
    As it was written .. May the Powers that be instill those in the War Room with unfathomable wisdom and insight, thus making each selection and decision made .. perfection absolute.
    This we humbly ask and shout the sacred oath ..
    J E T S JETS JETS JETS

[​IMG]
    The Powers That Be

[​IMG]
    Chosen One A- Joe Robinson
    [​IMG]
    Chosen One B- Sashi Brown

#47 Pags2112, Mar 14, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2017
    Red Menace likes this.
  8. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

I know combines don't tell the whole story, however he had a bad combine showing.

If teams really use that as a large percentage of their evaluations he will be available in the 2nd round.

alleycat9 likes this.
  9. ColoradoContrails

Straw man arguments.

First, no one says "QB is the only position that matters". What many of us say is that QB is the position of greatest impact. NOT CB, NOT Safety; NOT Edge; NOT ILB: NOT NT. Love defense all you want, but you won't alter that fact.

Second, when they traded up for Sanchez at the time they DID have the supporting cast, for the most part. It was when they let that cast walk away, and expected a mediocre QB like Sanchez to carry them like Joe Namath that things fell apart. That wasn't Sanchez' fault, that was Ryan and Co. Then they compounded that by bringing in Tebow.

Third, Geno should never have been drafted because of your point: He didn't have enough talent around him to mask his inefficiencies. Frankly, if he had the Patriots around him you couldn't mask his shortcomings.

But supposedly the Jets have seen the error of their ways, which is why they're shedding pieces. Supposedly they'll be adding newer, younger, more talented pieces. And the best way to do that is to get your QB in place and select the players that will complement him. QB is the position with the greatest longevity, so it makes more sense to add him, and then add the other pieces than the other way around.

But no matter how great your defense is, you will never make up for a lack of a decent QB and offense, which the Jets are lacking at this point.

Pags2112 likes this.
  10. Boomboom

Boomboom Active Member

I agee with ya. I'm really starting to get behind the idea of Mahomes in the first. My dream scenario would be to trade down into the teens and then get him and get an extra 2nd rounder.

I don't really agree with tanking just to get darnold or rosen. There are so many things that could happen in another year. And how many "can't miss" QB's wound up being terrible. And that's if they declare

The Jets are in a good position this draft and should take advantage of it by grabbing Mahomes

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  11. alleycat9

that would be wonderful. i really think the kid has a ton of upside.

12. TwoHeadedMonster

No one says that, huh? Funny, I only had to scroll back one page in this thread to find a post where someone literally said "...QB is the only position that matters..." (Post #22). I guarantee there are others.

Tell me again how that's a straw man argument?

NCJetsfan likes this.
  13. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

This would be an ideal scenario, get our QB and recoup the the pick wasted on Hack. Now we just gotta get Mac on board and a team to trade up.

14. ColoradoContrails

"I love all the TGG posters who scream and shout about how "QB is the only position that matters!"

You didn't say "some" or "many" or "A few", what you said was ALL. So, yeah, that IS a straw man argument.

And I didn't say "No one" because I know there are people who have over-reacted as posters are wont to do at times, and exaggerate...just like you did.

15. SOJAZ

SOJAZ Well-Known Member

AS others have stated there are to many holes, trade down, get picks and fill holes.

Pags2112 likes this.
  16. Br4d

I don't think he makes it down to the 2nd. He's got the pedigree from Notre Dame as a 2+ year starter there and he's the guy with the size and the arm this time around just like Bortles was in 2014. I think the Browns either take him on the 12 or trade up to get him if his stock rises before draft day. I would not be surprised if they traded for him after somebody else took him.

alleycat9 likes this.
  17. TwoHeadedMonster

All of the one ones who scream and shout about it. Even if that is one, it's still ALL. Do you need a Venn Diagram?

18. TwoHeadedMonster

Except you DID say "No one".

19. alleycat9

thanks br4d, i have to admit i am a fan so my opinion might be skewed. thats why i prefer to hear others thoughts on a guy like him.

Br4d likes this.
  20. Br4d

I'm just as skewed as you are on this. I see 6'4" 233 with a strong arm and then all the spread QB's out there with less appealing physical talents and Kizer seems like the no-brainer first QB chosen. However Wentz would have gone above Goff based on that scale last year so it's very possible I'm wrong.

alleycat9 likes this.