The 6th pick can't be a receiver because...

Discussion in 'Draft' started by fansince90, Mar 26, 2017.

1. fansince90

fansince90 Well-Known Member

We don't have a Qb to throw him the ball. It would be like choosing Hack in the second round again...a pick that we wont get much use out of. We haven't had a homerun hitter since Curtis Martin, and even he didn't have the break away speed needed to go all the way sometimes. Fournette, Cook, McCaffrey. Any one of these choices would give us the immediate offensive production we need until someone emerges as a franchise Qb.

2. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

If we took Mike Williams I wouldn't shed a tear that's for sure. In my mind, the best way to bring along a young QB is with a ton of help around him. See: Eli, Carr, Flacco, etc.

tbruner12, Dom, TonyFtLaud and 4 others like this.
  3. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

i hate the we can't take x because we don't have y logic, it is such a short sighted view of what the draft is for.

JetLifeLo, ajax, Dom and 9 others like this.
  4. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

Using that approach the team should never draft anyone

5. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

d line man every pick.

CONN-JET.2.0.3. and The Waterboy like this.
  6. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

We're in a total rebuild, we can take anyone. If he's the best player available then no problem with it.

7. jonnyd

jonnyd 2007 TGG.com Funniest Poster Award Winner

such a ridiculous premise....so we cant draft a QB since we dont have a good receiver? And surely we cant draft an RB since we have no Oline. and why draft oline when we have no RB to block for or QB to protect

8. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

I've seen a few mocks and the only offensive player taken in the first 10 picks is that running back (Fur...something).

One mock had us taking a DB, the other a S. About 5 DE were taken in the top 10 but at least we weren't one of the them.

So it will be another year of taking Defense with the fist pick

boozer32 likes this.
  9. RubenDias

RubenDias Well-Known Member

i dont mind at receiver but not at #6

fansince90 likes this.
  10. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

Look again, I saw at least a few having us taking a DE....hahaha

Footballgod214 likes this.
  11. ChrebetCrunch

ChrebetCrunch Well-Known Member

You don't draft players with the current year in mind. You draft players with the future in mind. If a WR happens to be BPA, you take him. If it takes three years to find a franchise QB, you might just have a connection that alters the outcomes of games.

12. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

Depressing and it will do nothing to help the Jets rebuild. It also hasn't done anything for the Jets for the last decade.

kevda5n9ne and ColoradoContrails like this.
  13. SoylentGreen

SoylentGreen Well-Known Member

I'm not sure there's a WR worth taking at #6, but since they do take time to develop, if one were available you absolutely would pick them now.

boozer32 likes this.
  14. Kris 15

Kris 15 Well-Known Member

Why draft offensive linemen, we have no QB to block for!

15. Pags2112

Pags2112 Well-Known Member

I'm all for best player available and that includes a QB if that's what they have on the board. The Jets war room has more research and insight on these players than all of us combined. Personally I'd rather see what we have in our young QB's first.

Anyway, I agree that you draft based on talent, and avoiding drafting that player because "We don't have a QB", or "We don't have an OL" is foolish. If at 6, we have an opportunity to draft a player that is as close to "can't miss", you take him. If such a player is not there, given our current state, I trade down and add more picks.

If it were the other way around, and your building around a QB for example, to me that's acceptable to a degree. I still wouldn't avoid taking an "almost" sure thing just to fill a need with a player that may or may not play to his potential. To me that is what free agency is for. I want to add talent, and said talent on that rookie contract.

16. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Umm. Interesting. IMO Your strategy somehow defies logic when it comes to building a team for the future. If a WR is BPA on our board, even more so since we need one, we strike. If BPA is a RB we do likewise. To me there is no other choice. Perhaps next year we shouldn't pick a QB with the first pick if he falls on our lap because he wouldn't have a number one receiver to throw to. OMG.
    Let's hope we draft better than that.

NCJetsfan, TonyFtLaud and Pags2112 like this.
  17. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

Not sure there is a WR worthy of a #6.......the closest may be the TE Howard. Though if a trade goes down and the jets pick lower, then a WR would be fine. They should start coming off the board around 10.

18. fansince90

fansince90 Well-Known Member

Points well taken. I firmly belive a great qb can make a mediocre wr productive but a mediocre qb can make a HOF wr request a trade. Look at B Marshall from last year to this year. Once D coordinators realize their weaknesses the passing game becomes extremely limited. When its clutch time a mediocre qb rarely rises to the occasion. Therefore i stand firm on my choice of a rb at 6 over a wr.
    I believe our line was better than Forte made them look. We saw the difference with Powell. A great rb can relieve a lot of pressure off of a mediocre qb until we find what were looking for.

tbruner12 likes this.
  19. ChrebetCrunch

ChrebetCrunch Well-Known Member

How many different QBs did Mangold and Brick protect? Would it had made a difference if we had Joe Namath or Troy Taylor as our QB? You draft good players who can play for many years, and with many different teammates.

20. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Exactly. The only position that should not be considered is a 3technique/interior defensive lineman. That's it. Everything else is in play.

Get the best football player available.

TonyFtLaud and NCJetsfan like this.