That's crazy J Gruden cut last year second round draft choice

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by Ohnoit'sGeno, Aug 23, 2018.

1. Ohnoit'sGeno

Ohnoit'sGeno Active Member

Obi Melifonwu. The guy been hurt for two years, you would think they put him on Ir and give him another shot next year. ( give him a chance to get healthy) Gruden didn't think his heart was in football.
    I think he's sending a message to the players that it doesn't matter where you were drafted you don't perform you're gone.

2. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

I can think of plenty of 2nd rd picks the JETS shouldve done the same to :(

TonyFtLaud, FJF and Brook! like this.
  3. Rollo Tomassi

Rollo Tomassi Well-Known Member

I don't look at Gruden as a red shirt type of guy.

4. FrontOfficeFanatic

FrontOfficeFanatic Well-Known Member

Ideally you want to do everything possible to develop your draft picks/undrafted free agents, until they prove that they hit their ceiling with potential. These are how the good teams do things for the most part.

I am happy with the way our coaching staff has developed some of our younger guys that were not home runs off the bat (i.e. Josh Martin, Robby Anderson, Tre McBride, Derrick Jones, Doug Middleton, Brent Qvale) I'm not saying these players are perennial pro bowlers....but they are serviceable at the least and have grown from when we originally acquired them. This is a good sign.

Gruden was never one to be patient to develop players, but rather acquire talent that bought into the "Gruden Way" and can rock n roll immediately. This is a very expensive and non sustainable way to build a team in this league. I think he will have some early success, but 2 years from now that team will be in cap hell and have issues.

5. FrontOfficeFanatic

Spot on!

6. FrontOfficeFanatic

Hack and Devin Smith come to mind.....but I am not upset at our coaching staff for waiting things out. You don't like to see stories like Danny Woodhead or James Farrior

7. Rollo Tomassi

Rollo Tomassi Well-Known Member

To be fair, he's a new coach and wasn't the guy that drafted him.

As much as I hated the Hack pick, unfortunately, there was no way Mac was going to cut his own 2nd rounder so quickly.

But kudos for doing so when he did.

Too funny Hack couldn't last a week with Gruden.

8. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

I get that he's been injury prone, but that seems a little quick to give up on him. Has he been ruled out for the season already?

That almost makes Devin Smith and Stephen Hill look like great picks!

9. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

In a salary cap league there is nothing more important than getting production from your cheap players. That includes surprisingly productive veterans that you signed on the cheap (hello Nick Foles), but even more in the NFL it's players on their rookie contracts. Cutting one because he supposedly "doesn't have his heart in football" sounds exactly like what an egomaniac like Chucky would do. He's spent the last decade repeatedly telling the world how he's smarter than everyone, so it's hardly a surprise that he thinks that he can look into men's souls in the space of a month or two and see what their true commitment to football is.

ConcordeChops and KurtTheJetsFan like this.
  10. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

He hasn't been ruled out, don't think they really know what the injury is. Just that it's a lower body injury. Could be the same knee he had previously injured.