Thank You Eagles thread

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by forevercursed, Feb 5, 2018.

1. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

Congrats to the Eagles. Both Pats fans and Giants fans butthurt as a result, kudos.

2. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

If they had just kicked the field goal to win with no touchdown, 35-33, my wife would have won $500 in her pool, and a good friend (who was also at the SB party I was) would have won $1000. How do you think we were rooting?

3. sackexchange

sackexchange Well-Known Member

The thing I don't hear people talking about is how the Pats are just a whisker away from being the Buffalo Bills. By that I mean without some MIRACULOUS breaks they don't win the SB against the Seahawks or the Falcons and they are losers of 5 straight SB's !!

I know that's a lot of revisionist history but just goes to show how thin the margin is between greatness and "meh" sometimes.

Sam Hammer likes this.
  4. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

Kelly is relieved of that title. Right now it only applies to Brady.

5. LeonNYJ

LeonNYJ Well-Known Member

Kelly lost 4, Brady lost 3. Not sure how that works. Also Brady has the most QB wins. Chalk it up to what you will, but you need to give Brady some props for what he accomplished in his career.

On another note, Terry Bradshaw, Joe Montana, Troy Aikman, Bart Starr, Jim Plunkett, and Eli Manning all have a 100% win percentage (with multiple SB starts). Additionally, Bob Griese and Ben Roethlisberger both have a better winning percentage than Brady. Brady is #9 in all-time SB win percentage for QBs with multiple starts. He also has the most starts by a large margin (4).

6. forevercursed

forevercursed Well-Known Member

To be fair they were whiskers away from beating the Giants too. Guess it balances out.

But they have had enormous luck against the Falcons and Seahawks. Also the Lee Evans drop and then missed FG. Heck just two weeks ago vs. Jacksonville. I've seen a lot of great teams. Steelers, 49ers, Cowboys. Lots of sustained success. But none of those teams got the calls and the luck of the Patriots.

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  7. sackexchange

sackexchange Well-Known Member

Yeah I totally agree. They could have won either Giants game. But I have never seen a team win so many nail-biter games the way the Patriots have. There may never be another team like them. Brady and Belichick are hands down the greatest QB-Coach combo and I will throw a party the day they both leave the Patriots for good.

I remember feeling similar thoughts about Marino but this is 100x worse.

8. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

Oh, right, another reason I'm glad the Cheats lost is because Matt Patricia is a slob. What kind of hobo shit is that? Who dressed him? Not his Mom, obviously. Shave and clean yourself up you filthy pig. Gross.

9. forevercursed

I used to think for a long period of time that he was some backup offensive or defensive lineman on IR who's just milling around the sidelines. Then I was like...wait this guy is a COACH?

That's Belichick's defense all the way and Patricia is a puppet. If you actually watch a lot of times during the season Brady will be doing his thing, Belichick will just turn around and talk to the defense and not even watch what's going on on the field. And yes of course you can have that kind of trust now that you've been gifted somebody the calibre of Brady to be your QB.

Belichick has always been overrated as some sort of genius or guru. His benching of Butler yesterday was beyond outrageous. Many many times the Patriots D has been utter crap only to be bailed out by Brady or the officials

10. boozer32

I will never give props to known cheaters. I retrack my losingest comment and instead apply it to the New England Paatriot franchise. They lost more SB than any team in football. Giants twice, Bears, Eagles and Green Bay.

11. forevercursed

That Bears Super Bowl was hilarious. They really were a force of nature. By late 3rd quarter I thought the Bears were going to put up 60.

Jets played the Bears tough late that season.

boozer32 likes this.
  12. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

Matt Patricia's defense played like hot garbage in last year's Super Bowl too.

Thankfully this year the Eagles were able to slam the door shut on NE.

13. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

Nope. They're tied for most losses (5) with the Denver Broncos.

14. KWJetsFan

KWJetsFan Well-Known Member

Obviously hate the Pats. I'm indifferent to the Eagles, but damn, Pederson must have needed his balls to be wheeled in on a semi at the press conference. So glad to see a coach aggressively play to win.

boozer32 likes this.
  15. boozer32

Yeah we haven't had one like that around here since...ever. The only thing aggressive in Jetsville is hiring lousy coaches, Holtz, Kotitte, Walton, Edwards and Bowles.

16. forevercursed

It's not about playing aggressively, it's about understanding situational football.

Last year the Falcons lost because they played aggressively. They didn't use up the whole play clock in between plays. They were throwing the ball in ridiculous situations. Taking monster sacks to knock themselves out of field goal range instead of just centering the ball for Bryant. Where did that aggression get them?

Eagles moved the ball at will on NE all game, but their D was also getting destroyed (maybe feeling the effects of the flu) Eagles never had a lead that they felt safe with so they kept pressing on. And why shouldn't they. NE couldn't stop them

When Philly got that fumble late in the game in FG range, you didn't see them taking deep dropbacks or throwing risky passes. The refs would've been eager to call holding and knock them out of FG range. They went with the safe runs and set up a fg to go up 8 late and made NE use up all of their time outs. Having no time outs really limits what you can do that late

17. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

ehh... I see what you are saying but idk about that.... I would counter with looking at their previous drive, which even though they took the lead, they still made some HUGE situational football mistakes!

--

Eagles down 33-32 with the ball at the NE 11 yard line, 2:30 left, 2nd and 7. NE just called their 2nd timeout. Situational football calls for at least one run play there to get NE to either call their last time out or use up the 2 minute warning stoppage. 2 run plays and/or a first down accomplishes both. A run for a first down and not a touchdown pretty much ends it, provided their kicker doesn't miss a chippie.

but they threw 2 passes! one incomplete and the other a TD to the end zone. Giving NE the ball back, down 5 with 2:21 left and 1 timeout!!! Which is why even though they threw a touchdown pass to take the lead their winning percentage amazingly went DOWN!

So they almost made the same mistakes Atlanta did the year before and the same mistakes a lot of teams make with NE- giving Brady the ball with time and a chance to win! It is even worse when you consider their defense sucked ass all game. The only difference here is that that defense, amazingly, made a play and bailed them out

18. LeonNYJ

LeonNYJ Well-Known Member

I was saying this during the game. I was like, all Philly needs to do is run the ball here to cause NE to burn their final TO and then go for the first down on 3rd down. Game would have been down to the 2 minute warning with no NE TOs. Then they could have just taken the knee for 3 plays and kick a field goal with a few seconds left to clinch the game. Worked out well for them anyway.

BrowningNagle likes this.
  19. Royal Tee

Royal Tee Girls juss wanna have fun