Texans may the trade the #1 pick?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JETSFAN5180, Feb 26, 2006.

1. hydro51

hydro51 New Member

i highly doubt the jets wants to be the team that past's on bush. and from what i hear jets offcials love bush

infact theres quote from a insider thats down in indy at the combine

2. Electric Cedric 34

Electric Cedric 34 New Member

Maybe we're smokescreening to GET Bush?

3. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

I would love Bush and I wouldn't complain if we took him, but I honestly think franchise QB has to be the way we go.

Whether its Matt Leinart at #1 or Jay Cutler at #4...we need a new face of the franchise at the QB position...

4. PennyandtheJets

Again why would there be any smoke screening involved...The Texans wouldn't care who they wanted...they would make the Jets compensate them for having the choice of Matt or Bush.

5. AMJets

AMJets Well-Known Member

Why? We have the first pick, it's not like someone before us could take him.

6. PennyandtheJets

Exactly. I am not too sure why so many people are saying that we would be smoke screening. Are the Jets smoke screening themselves? Matt Leinart would be awesome at #1. I would be THRILLED to have a franchise QB who could potentially become a superstar. I would also be happy to stay at 4 and draft Cutler whom I like alot too...If a trade like this were to happen it wouldn't happen for a LOOOOONG time...

7. 1028

1028 Active Member

Hypothetical situation: if we get Leinart, does he start from day 1? Or does he take a year off to learn the ropes? Because IMO that would have alot of impact on the draft and FA.

BTW, for the record, I still dont know that this would be the right move for our franchise...but like I said, Ill support whichever direction the Jets brass decides to go :beer:

8. PennyandtheJets

Sit for at least half of a season. I wouldn't want him in day one. Give him some time to learn. I would play him after week 8 if we didn't have more than 4 wins.

9. AMJets

AMJets Well-Known Member

Leinart is the type of QB that COULD start from day 1, but I wouldn't want him to be killed by the OL.

10. PennyandtheJets

I am not going to disagree with you, but if we add a few players through the draft by the second half of the year they should be playing better as a unit to the point where they won't get the person beind center killed on every play. As long as the online showed improvement by week 8 I would plug him in if we didn't have a winning record.

11. MSUJet85

MSUJet85 ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I could live with either Bush or Leinart, both are worth it and it may have guaranteed that Chad's takes a pay cut because paying for Chad's cut and a #1 pick is death to our cap

12. AMJets

AMJets Well-Known Member

They wouldn't be all in sync and ready to play great pass protection from day 1, though.

13. 1028

1028 Active Member

As much as I love Leinart, and would love getting him, Im really questioning what it would take to get him. Lots of holes and as it is we have too few picks to fill em. We might just be better off trading down, and taking Cutler (if we decide to go QB) this year, or just waiting until 06. Its a tough decision, because if you trade up for Leinart, your going to have trouble surrounding him with any talent.

14. CapoStatus27

CapoStatus27 New Member

all this talk depends on pennington's health doesnt it?

15. PennyandtheJets

Haha...I thought I just explained that in my post? I said by week 8 they should begin to gel together a little bit to the point where they aren't getting the QB KILLED on every play. Thats when I would put Leinart or Cutler in.

16. PennyandtheJets

Not really. We know his health. He has had three injuries the last three years and the last two years the injuries have been on his throwing shoulder. Unless he takes a substantial paycut Pennington could be cut. If he does take the pay cut Chad will more than likely not be ready by the start of the season.

17. Dinobot 2

Dinobot 2 Active Member

Whatever happened to PennyandtheJets?

18. AMJets

AMJets Well-Known Member

I know, I said before I wouldn't start him from day 1, but he could probably play at some point during the season.

19. PRPitbull

PRPitbull Active Member

What the guy means is that we pretend to want Leinart instead of Bush, for fear of some other team wanting Bush, therefore costing a bidding war for the 1st pick. for example lets say we really want Bush and we know the Titans want Bush. We pretend to like Leinart, letting the titans think Bush is going to fall to them, so they wont trade up in fear of trying to draft Bush. We then draft Bush and leave them bamboozled. The whole idea is we dont let them know who we truly want until we have the pick because it might become competitive to get him.

20. brothermoose

brothermoose Well-Known Member

Hello Leinart

We need a franchise QB and Leinart is that man...
    Good RB's are a dime a dozen and not worth what it would cost.
    I would be enamored if we were able to get leinart and get rid of jabe in one fell swoop.