TEs in FA Who Would You Sign?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NCJetsfan, Feb 23, 2017.

?

Which FA TE Would You Sign?

1. Martellus Bennett, Patriots

4 vote(s)
    21.1%
  2. Jermaine Gresham, Cardinals

5 vote(s)
    26.3%
  3. Jordan Cameron, Dolphins

1 vote(s)
    5.3%
  4. Vernon Davis, Redskins

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Jared Cook, Packers

3 vote(s)
    15.8%
  6. John Phillips, Saints

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Larry Donnell, Giants

1 vote(s)
    5.3%
  8. Brandon Myers, Buccaneers

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Anthony Fasano, Titans

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. Mychal Rivera, Raiders

5 vote(s)
    26.3%
  1. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I would have included an option for "None of the Above" but it wouldn't allow another choice, so you'll have to type that in if that's what you think.

I'm assuming that Morton will want to make use of the TE position and that Mac will want to shore up the position before the draft.

There's no question that Bennett, Gresham, Cook, Fasano, Davis, and maybe Cameron could really help a young QB. All are competent two-way TEs. The problem is that Bennett is 30, he won't be cheap, and he probably wouldn't sign with the Jets. Gresham is 28, Cook is 29, Fasano is 32, Cameron is 28, and Davis is 33. If the Jets were playoff contenders, any of these players could help the team. The problem is that the Jets won't be playoff contenders this season, and may not be next season, either.

Since Morton knows Phillips from the Saints this past season, the Jets may at least try to sign Phillips. Supposedly, he's a serviceable blocker and receiver. He's 29, however, and not that good.

Larry Donnell is 28 and pretty much only a receiver, so imo the Jets have no use for him.

Brandon Myers is 31 and is only serviceable both as a blocker and receiver, and I don't think would help the team that much.

The player I think they ought to sign is Mychal Rivera. He's only 26 and could conceivably help the team for at least 3-4 seasons. His first two seasons with the Raiders, he was a pretty big part of their offense, but less so the last two seasons. He's only started 15 out of 61 career games with the Raiders, but has averaged 9.7 yards per reception which is pretty good. He has caught 10 TD passes in 146 receptions. The two areas of concern are that he has fumbled 5 times out of those 146 receptions, and he is only 6'3".

Following is a link to Rivera's NFL stat page on which there are some videos of some of his TD catches.

http://www.nfl.com/player/mychalrivera/2539995/profile

boozer32 likes this.
  2. Cook & Cameron. Add them w. ASJ & we have a decent 3 depth chart w. guys under 30. None are spectacular but all can block & all have their specific strengths to help on game day. None will break the bank either.

Mogriffjr likes this.
  3. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

Mickey Shuler Sr.

boozer32, ajax, xxedge72x and 2 others like this.
  4. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

Give the retards a #4 for Gronkowski

5. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Draft oj howard

6. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I would only sign a FA TE after the draft if I didn't someone I liked. I don't think Macc will take Howard with his first pick, and he'll be gone before his 2nd. There are some other TEs in the draft that would be better than an OTH, overpaid FA.

7. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Whoever is youngest and cheapest..

So i am guessing Rivera

8. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

You can't go into the draft having to draft a player at a position. It puts too much pressure on you, and every other team knows then you are gonna take a player at that position. The Jets need someone proven that can give them some production. Not signing a FA TE would not be wise imo.

I agree with you about not overpaying or taking an over-the-hill TE. That's why I said I wouldn't sign Cook, Gresham, Bennett, Fasano, Davis, Cameron, or the other older guys. Rivera is only 26. He isn't over the hill and he has some talent. You wouldn't have to overpay him much, if any.

9. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

don't think I would sign any of them.....MAYBE Philips.....would keep ASJ and try very hard to draft howard.

10. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

Two guys I'm thinking of that aren't on this list are Jack Doyle and Ryan Griffin from Houston. Doyle had a nice season with Indy (60 catches) and could be expendable with Dwayne Allen under a huge contract and another TE up and coming on their roster. Griffin also had a relatively productive season and, of course, likely has the connection to Maccagnan as he was on board when he was drafted.

11. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

none really. i'm ok with ASJ

12. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

I would take Jacob Tamme if he is available. Really like Howard in the draft.

13. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

This draft is deep at TE so you can see a TE in the 3rd/4th round be good enough to make a solid contribution this year...id give ASJ another run, draft one and grab maybe a Rivera.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  14. James Hasty

Sure, pass on the pro bowl / potential HOF tight end for a guy later in the draft. Its not like our offense could use him.

15. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

We need to have an actual plan to involve a TE in the game, you look at other teams and see the solid job most of them do for the team and then you see some of the top end TE's making plays and winning games and then you look at us :oops: I thought it was going to change when we signed ASJ but no

#15 K'OB, Feb 23, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2017
    ColoradoContrails likes this.
  16. James Hasty

We changed offensive coordinators. Things could get better or they could get worse but we should not assume that our offensive plan will be the same as last year.

17. K'OB

I did say "we need to have an actual plan" ;)

But by christ they couldn't get any worse surely ?

James Hasty likes this.
  18. James Hasty

K'OB likes this.
  19. K'OB

12% seems about right to me :):)

James Hasty likes this.
  20. Greenday4537

Greenday4537 Well-Known Member

This is the correct answer.

James Hasty likes this.