Terror attack in Las Vegas and now Cali

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by Barry the Baptist, Oct 2, 2017.

1. typeOnegative13NY

typeOnegative13NY Well-Known Member

Right. But is it logical to blame objects just to make ourselves feel better

2. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

No, but it is logical to try to reasonably regulate the use and distribution of tangible items. That removes the government from making decisions based on ideology or mental state or some other completely subjective criteria that could be totally abused.

For example, and this is at least 59 percent tongue in cheek, based on your posting history, I think you’re a dangerous paranoiac who should be ineligible to own firearms. Why should anyone be able to decide that about you?

3. Greenday4537

Greenday4537 Well-Known Member

No one suggested taking action against legal gun owners. No one has, no one will.

Yes, many states have waiting periods for hand guns but there should be waiting periods for all in every state.

Come on, straw sales are a huge part of gun crimes. Look at Chicago. Why do the vast majority of guns used in crimes in Chicago come from a few different stores? When 2/3 of the guns sold by a store are used in crimes, why isn't that store being investigated? You don't get numbers that high unless you know what's going on and let it slide just so you can make money.

4. typeOnegative13NY

Lol, well played. But in my love for conspiracy theory, I've never adhered to anything that advocates the harm of others

5. Dierking

Fuck straw sales. This mope bought a new firearm every couple of weeks for a couple of years. If there’s no way to stop that there’s no way this won’t keep happening.

6. Dierking

Right. But if I were in charge that wouldn’t matter

7. Greenday4537

So we should not try to stop the vast majority of gun crime? Sounds kind of ridiculous to me.

8. typeOnegative13NY

Vast majority of gun crimes are not committed with legally purchased guns

9. Greenday4537

Then how are they being done? Say, someone who can legally buy one gets it from a store and then resells it to a criminal colleague?

10. typeOnegative13NY

Stolen guns, gun acquired in bulk by crooked means. For example... we had hurricane Matthew here last year. Power went out for about 2 days. A very large gun store got broken into and completely cleared out . They must have brought a truck because they got enough to arm a small army. No one was ever caught. But shootings are up since .

Guns find their way to the streets the same way drugs do. Bloods and crips don't go to the store and buy a gun.

11. Greenday4537

Ok but it's still a fact that straw purchases are a huge portion of guns used in crimes. And the majority of guns reported stolen get reported stolen AFTER the original owners are notified it was used in a crime.

I don't understand how you could be against laws that ONLY make it harder for criminals to get guns. Why would you be against stricter enforcement of straw purchasing laws? Or laws about storage of weapons so shit's not laying around to be stolen?

I don't know where you live, but some states have absurdly easy laws when it comes to purchasing. I could drive down to Florida tomorrow, buy a gun and drive it back to NJ by Sunday. Why? Why do I not need a background check? Why are people who associated with terrorists allowed to buy guns but not fly on planes?

It's absurd what we let people get with because of fear mongering.

12. typeOnegative13NY

I don't think you can drive down to Florida and buy a gun man. I think you have to be a resident With state license and you can't take it across state lines .

I'm not against common sense laws. not at all. There are things that can be improved . But I feel strongly that guns are not as much a problem as intent . We can pass all the laws we want, the majority of gun violence exists where the strongest laws are. People want to talk about guns after something like vegas , but how many people are shot in Chicago every week and gun laws never come up? Legally purchased guns are a drop in the pond compared to guns that make it to the streets with no serial numbers when it comes to gun problems in this country . The occasional shooter who snaps or even plans an act like Vegas isn't even a fraction compared to the daily gun violence in inner cities committed with guns that did not come through legal means. It almost seems like they are working harder for the common law abiding citizen to have a harder time defending himself against the criminal element . They want to regulate what I can have to protect my home , but do nothing about the backdoor stockpiles making it to the street so people can do home invasions etc. sounds like they want to put it in the same realm as their bullshit war on drugs.

FJF likes this.
  13. Petrozza

Petrozza Administrator

This is too funny. If you try to buy a firearm from a gun store in FL, you'll have to sign a form that permits FFL to run a background check on you. If you don't have a FL driver's license, they won't even talk to you. Lastly, there's a 3-day waiting period to buy a handgun in FL, which can be waived if you have a FL concealed carry permit.

FJF and typeOnegative13NY like this.
  14. Greenday4537

Counterpoint - Rifles aren't handguns.

I could buy an AR-15. Have to be at least 18 (check), no fingerprints, no background check, no permit, no waiting period.

So yes, I can very easily drive to Florida and buy a gun.

15. Greenday4537

We can't do anything because the NRA and the politicians they buy off won't let us. The extreme majority of gun crimes committed in Chicago come from a very small set of stores in Chicago. The store with the highest rate? 2/3 of the guns purchased there are used in crimes within 3 years. Current laws make it extremely tough to hold gun stores accountable if a gun they sell is misused meaning even when blatant misconduct is done by the store, there's nothing we can do about it.

16. Petrozza

Petrozza Administrator

Do you have a FL driver's license? You WILL have to go through the background check for ANY firearm.

17. Greenday4537

18. typeOnegative13NY

If you think that the majority of gun violence in Chicago is done with guns coming from local stores than I don't know what to tell you

19. Petrozza

Petrozza Administrator

Good lord

The Firearm Purchase Program (FPP) conducts background checks for the transfer of firearms by federally licensed gun dealers, manufacturers and importers.

the background check is conducted utilizing demographic data.

All legal US residents may purchase a long gun in the State of Florida provided the sale complies with applicable laws in the State where the purchaser resides

Where do you reside? NJ? You can't legally own an AR-15 in NJ and you magazine capacity is limited to 15 (standard AR-15 magazine is 30). So you'll be shit out of luck there. Regardless of what the state police website says, they won't even talk to you when they see a NJ driver's license.

20. Greenday4537

The background check still wouldn't stop me from buying the same day in Florida and I could just buy from a private seller without doing the background check.

And you can absolutely own an AR-15. Manufacturers make versions NJ compliant so magazines are modified to only allow 15 rounds. I know this because my first purchase will be a .22 version of it and I've looked up the .223 version. Manufacturers aren't going to stop selling in NJ because magazines have to be smaller. That'd be a silly way to miss out on sales.