Tebow 'not sure' if he'll ever start for Jets

Discussion in 'Tebowmania' started by CowboysFan, Mar 30, 2012.

1. RevRick

RevRick New Member

I can't imagine that being the case, interesting to learn the details if it is.

2. #1 Jets Fan

#1 Jets Fan Guest

I think this is telling us the jets plan on using him a lot more at another other places then QB.

3. whichfan

whichfan New Member

It's all speculation but it makes since to me considering everything that's going on and the confusion surrounding it without anyone being able to clarify it.

Of course the other possibility is that Jacksonville did also go for a "back-up" trade, which was cheaper, in which case Tebow would have had the same stipulations in Jacksonville to where he would not be able to be named a day 1 starer and Jacksonville or Tebow didn't like that. It's possible Jacksonville didn't have a plan for by-passing those stips, and the Jets obviously did. Hence the "wildcat QB". With the Jets taking on the co-quarterback approach he gets guaranteed playing time because it won't cost the Jets anything as long as Sanchez remains the official starter. If that is the case I imagine the Jets and Tebow to continue to do a lot of side-stepping and tip-toeing around the issue any time it comes up. It also means both Tebow and Sanchez are guaranteed to not go anywhere for however long those stips might be in place. Co-quarterback would have not flied in Jacksonville on the other hand.

But since Tebow repeated it ultimately came down to the FO and used the words that "Jacksonville could have offered a different deal", my bet is that's most likely what happened. Jacksonville would have needed to offer more than a 3rd round pick for a "starting QB" and they were not willing to do it. Denver didn't just take a lesser offer for Tebow out of charity. The closest similar trade I can think of was when the Pats got a 2nd round pick for Matt Cassel when he went the Chiefs after his first year as a starter when Brady went down. My bet is Jacksonville offered the Broncos a 3rd round pick and have them dropped the stipulations with them being able to use him for whatever they want, and the Broncos declined feeling the value for that position is worth more. Perhaps the Broncos also hoped to play hard ball and felt Jacksonville would have budged to a 2nd and ultimately they didn't. It's also worth nothing Jacksonville DID mention how much they valued their draft picks on numerous occasions after the trade. So maybe Tebow would have had a choice had they met those requirements. Which also goes hand in hand with Tebow perhaps feeling more wanted by the Jets. If the Jets signed Sanchez to his extension, who did lead this team to two NFC Championships, and were still willing to offer that much for a "wildcat quarterback" why didn't the Jacksonville step up and offer more when all they had was Gabbert? Even if you take popularity out of the equation, Gabbert showed nothing to convince anyone he's better than Tebow. I wouldn't feel very much love there by Tebow either.

That's why a lot of people are confused as to why the Broncos would turn down a better offer, and immediately assumed Tebow made the choice. But when Tebow came out and refuted that, that no longer made sense, and when he said those words in that interview it immediately reminded me of that. I'm not sure if it was on NFL Live or Mike and Mike in the morning, but I remember clearly they were talking about this before his trade. It stuck in my head because I thought it was ridiculous a team could do that.

I don't think it's fair business practices for the players and certain teams but apparently these types of stipulations are typical in the NFL. It falls in line with pay-back performance incentives teams often pay back if the traded player reaches certain milestones. Makes little sense to me honestly if they can extend that to these types of major stipulations, but apparently they can. If you trade a player, you shouldn't be able to maintain that much control over how another team wants to use your player. Imagine a car dealership charging you extra if you bought a truck to use it for a business rather than recreational purposes. Or as a primary car rather than a secondary car. I'd be livid. That's what this basically comes down to. Tebow would have been a very "cheap" starting QB in Jacksonville because of his contract if they were to let him go there. He's a very expensive "wildcat" QB in NY.

#23 whichfan, Apr 1, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2012
  4. instaGATOR

instaGATOR Banned

Very confusing to me.

Denver KNEW that a 9-7 raw rookie QB for a 4-14 team was not NFL starter material.

Every team in the NFL KNEW that Tim was not 1st Rnd material, much less starter material.

KNOWING all of that, I still wonder why Denver didn't just cut him and their losses and move on.

What I KNOW, is that ALL of those involved should be GREAT at LIARS Poker..... :grin:

5. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

What losses, he took them to the playoffs and I'm not sure how long it had been since they had been there.

6. TheMoops

TheMoops New Member

Tebow is the ultimate competitor. He wants to start. Any doubts? Read his book, Through My Eyes.

7. VanderbiltJets

VanderbiltJets Active Member

Blind faith = Dogma.

http://harvardsportsanalysis.wordpr...stical-analysis-of-the-miracles-of-tim-tebow/

http://harvardsportsanalysis.wordpress.com/2011/12/06/tebow-is-still-producing-miracles-an-update/

8. catfish

catfish New Member

9. VanderbiltJets

The analysis supports what's most important: Tebow's sample size is too small and his greatness or suckiness has yet to be determined, thereby solidifying his role as 2012 backup pending any Sanchez implosion.

10. catfish

catfish New Member

100% agree with that, I dont think he should start at all. I hope it isn't coming off like I think he should. Sanchez is the guy, he should get this year to prove it. Hopefully he rises to the occasion and Tebow improves enough that what he flashes in the preseason/backup time will score the jets a higher pick than they spent on him if the wish to trade him or if he stays till his contract is up an opportunity presents itself for him to start on another team. I have no ill will towards Sanchez.

11. VanderbiltJets

I only quoted you on the links to advance the discussion.

12. catfish

catfish New Member

no worries, as a Tebow homer I am just trying to be extra respectful of Jets fans. Glad I wasn't misunderstood. With tempers hot you never know how posts are being read. Thank you for posting the articles

13. instaGATOR

instaGATOR Banned

Blind = Can't see what's in front of you.

Dogma monger = Stupid

And your village is still looking for you.... :rofl2:

PS

I have not once advocated that Tebow should start, only that the coaches follow up on what 'they said' his roll would be.
    It's up to all of the Jets QB's to earn their playing time, so if it turns out to be McElroy, I'm also just fine with that.
    He wouldn't be the first So-So Bama QB to play for the Jets....

#33 instaGATOR, Apr 4, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2012
  14. VanderbiltJets

You essentially called me an idiot and went on to misspell "role". Well-played, sir.

15. catfish

catfish New Member

he was quite obviously referring to tebows choice of bread with dinner. the coaches were discussing the merits of sourdough vs. kaiser

16. VanderbiltJets

http://www.foodspotting.com/places/284298-hapa-sushi-sake-bar-denver/items/411286-tebow-roll
    EDIT: Never used this emoticon before. Seems like an ideal time to start :rofl2:

17. jestak

jestak New Member

What's going to be funny is in the preseason, McElroy will look pretty good and make the occasional mistake and Tebow will look not so good and not be able to move the offense.

18. Potzer

Potzer New Member

^^^^

This is truth.

I can't believe people can't just hold this opinion and hang on for the ride.

Its gonna be a blast!