Tebow 'not sure' if he'll ever start for Jets

Discussion in 'Tebowmania' started by CowboysFan, Mar 30, 2012.

1. CowboysFan

CowboysFan Banned

While everyone is trying to figure out if or when Tim Tebow will become the Jets starting quarterback, Tebow claims he is not worried about it.
    Appearing Friday on 1050 ESPN Radio, Tebow dodged questions about whether he wants to start. Asked if he thinks he’ll ever be a starting quarterback again, Tebow said expressed uncertainty.
    “I’m not sure,” Tebow said. “I don’t know what the future holds but I know who holds my future. That is something that has always given me peace and comfort. That’s why I don’t have to worry about the future. I can just worry about today and worry about becoming better as a football player and a person.”
    Tebow has been very careful to say all the right things since being traded to the Jets last week. He continued to dance around whether he hopes to take Mark Sanchez’s job. The Jets have said repeatedly Tebow will be Sanchez’s backup and used in a special packages.
    “My plan is to go in there and try to be the best quarterback that I can be,” Tebow said. “To try to improve every single day, to try to be someone that can help this New York Jet football team win football games, however that is, and reach my potential; be the best quarterback, best teammate, best football player I can be and just be someone that adds something to that locker room. That’s my goal.”
    Nothing tripped up Tebow in the interview, which was more than 20 minutes. He even praised Jets cornerback Antonio Cromartie for criticizing the trade before it was official.
    “I think just from the Cromartie perspective, that’s great,” he said. “It’s great because he had his quarterback’s back. That’s what you want. You want guys that are supporting your quarterback. I think that’s great. I commend him. I’ve been friends with Cromartie, even though he is a [Florida State] guy, for two or three years now since we met at the ESPYs (Tebow went to Florida). I have respect for him, and I feel like he has respect for me. He was sticking up for his quarterback and good for him.”

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/blogs/jetsb...er_start_Z1yt1a3UoJ6tQ1Lhh89PhP#ixzz1qe7xpQwA

2. Bannon

Bannon New Member

That's kind of a reach to get "not sure" headline out of that interview. It's a figure of speech which means he doesn't know what the future holds, not an expression of how confident he feels.

3. CowboysFan

CowboysFan Banned

Its accurate and I like how Tebow is proving everyone wrong again by not coming in and being all Machiavellian .

its an honest answer from an honest person.

#3 CowboysFan, Mar 30, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2012
  4. Mambo9

Mambo9 Well-Known Member

I'll give this to Tebow: he's a great guy and a great team-mate. It's not fair to judge him only for his religious beliefs... I don't believe in god but that doesn't mean I can't like him as a person!

5. Bannon

Bannon New Member

Headlines need to more than accurate quotes -- they tell a story all their own.

If people thought he would be Mchieavellian, then they deserved to be wrong. :grin:

6. CowboysFan

CowboysFan Banned

I have followed Tebow since I found about hm on ESPN when he was in high school. That might be the best answer he has ever given to a question .

And I get what your saying , they are trying to imply lack of confidence when in reality it's him being an honest person and a good team mate . Him being Tebow everyone will read it and understand it for what it is .

7. CowboysFan

CowboysFan Banned

Well said.........

8. pheasant

pheasant Undrafted FA

Tebow wasn't brought in to start. So unless Mark gets injured, he won't be taking all the snaps. I don't know why he's unsure. Sounds pretty iron clad to me.

9. catsigater

catsigater New Member

From the OP, it appears Tebow's response of "I'm not sure," was to the question, will he ever be a starting QB again, not just with the Jets.

Opinions will differ as to how iron-clad that is.

10. CowboysFan

CowboysFan Banned

You obviously missed the question.

The question was basically "will you ever start in the NFL again"

#10 CowboysFan, Mar 30, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2012
  11. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

Not sure who expected him to act with bravado. He's a class act on and off the field, we already know that. He's going to say all the right things, the rest of the team on the other hand...

12. CowboysFan

CowboysFan Banned

The ESPN hype machine was sure he was coming to annihilate Sanchez anyway he can etc

13. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

Fair. It's amazing how they can basically plant a controversy into a team with their headlines and articles. I think Tebow will cause major problems for teams in the Wildcat/Option and these plays will be akin to play-action, which will help him complete passes. He could be a vital weapon if used properly imo.

14. instaGATOR

instaGATOR Banned

The QB job belongs to the Jets, not to MS.

Usually, not always, the best QB in the pre-season will be the starter for the season.
    I'll be okay with the 'best' QB as starter, no matter if it's McElroy.
    ============

Jet's 2011 (more stats that don't matter,,, and that's why they record and keep them)

Rushing:
    S. Greene 4.2 ypc with 6 TD's.
    L. Tomlinson 3.7 ypc with 1 TD.
    (Tebow 5.4 ypc with 12 TD's to 6 LPF's in his 2 split seasons with 16 starts)

MS Passing - 11.3 yds/comp, 26 TD's to 18 Ints, a 1.4 to 1 TD/Int Ratio, PER 78.2

TT Passing - 14.3 yds/comp, 17 TD's to 9 Ints, a 1.9 to 1 TD/Int Ratio, Career (16 starts) PER 75.1

Add in Tim's 1st 2 seasons disadvantages, plus his rushing advantage,
    and he looks like a pretty good Jets addition to me. But then what do I know?

Tebow averaged 9.8 yds/play on 332 Bronco plays with 29 TD's to 15 Turnovers for a 4-14 team.
    And yet some still claim that he's proven that he's not NFL QB material,
    even after a Playoff win over the Steelers #1 in the NFL Defense.

What Coaches are saying this week about Tebow's outlook with the Jets:
    John Fox - Positive
    Chan Gailey - Positive
    Mike Tomlin - Positive
    Marvin Lewis - Positive

But of course everyone knows, NFL coaches all LIE LIKE RUGS,
    especially whenever Tebow's name comes up,,, even the Jets coaches???

15. Rawrk

Rawrk New Member

tebow should be the official jets locker room spokesperson.

or he should give lessons on how to handle the press.

"congratulations, see you in pittsburgh"

"SO EXCITED!"

16. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

ESPN is not 'everyone,' they are a combination of MTV and Fox News catering to sports. Stop watching it if you don't like their pathetic programming. I did.

17. TheMadHatter

TheMadHatter New Member

I wish i could tebow's PR guy, thats got to be one of the easiest jobs in sports haha

18. RevRick

RevRick New Member

The context of "not sure", has nothing to do with his personal goals, but rather being a good teammate and letting the coaches make that call.

19. CowboysFan

CowboysFan Banned

I am seriously considering your advice .

20. whichfan

whichfan New Member

I listened to the interview and that headline was a long stretch to the question that was actually asked. But there was a more interesting part of the interview I'm not sure anyone picked up on.

They were discussing him choosing the Jets, and it's pretty clear he had no final choice, but rather Tim gave a lot of info about what really happened if you listen carefully and have been paying attention to the whole trade from before it was even announced he would go to the Jets.

He said Jacksonville "could have offered a different pick" and that the "deal could have been different". I remember this coming out on ESPN before the trade even took place, that the way this was going to work, is that depending on what the team was going to use Tebow for, he would go for a different price.

In other words if a team planned on using him for a "back-up" he would cost X amount of money and picks. But if a team planned on using him as a day 1 starter he would cost a y amount of money and picks. It was weird when they were discussing this on ESPN, but that's what they said. It has to do with the "value" of a starting QB versus a "back-up" QB in the NFL.

Now when you consider the legal and financial aspects....chances are Jacksonville didn't believe they should pay more to get a player just because they wanted to use him a starter. They probably would have had to give up more than even a third round draft pick to make him an official starter. The Jets could get him for cheaper by declaring him a "back-up". By the same token, even IF the Jets plan on using him as a starter don't expect it to be public or for Tim to ever say it on air. In fact there are likely stipulations in the contract that he can't be a day 1 starter officially, maybe unless something happens, else the Jets would owe the Broncos additional money or picks.

So if someone can actually get the details of the contract...they would probably be able to figure if and when and under what conditions Tebow would be likely to start for the Jets. My bet is not unless Sanchez goes down or 2013. The only question is, if that's true, does he even have the opportunity to win the job in training camp? And if not and Mark knows about this, how exactly will Tebow motivate him anyway, if there are clauses to him becoming a starter? I know one thing, if that's how the contract was structured, the Jets probably have little interest in taking a chance on starting Tebow without seeing how Mark performs because they'd likely have to pay additional picks for that move back to Denver upfront. Not unless Tebow blows Mark away in training camp.

#20 whichfan, Apr 1, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2012