Teams contacting Jets about trading for Petty

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BroadwayAaron, Apr 27, 2018.

1. twown

twown Well-Known Member

But... but he's "average."

2. apjbfc

apjbfc Well-Known Member

Petty tried calling teams back

He overthrew it and was intercepted.

Now he'll be released

Sent from my SM-G610Y using Tapatalk

3. twown

twown Well-Known Member

There is an equal or greater number of posters that become emotionally attached to players as soon as they put on the Jets decal. This group likes to preach patience, but Parcels wasn't patient. Belichick isn't patient. For every late bloomer, there are 25 JAGS who remain JAGS.

4. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Somehow ancient Josh McCown was able to do it. Petty sucks. Move on.

Harpua likes this.
  5. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

yeah, that's it. The Jets elite cadre of coaches transformed McCown into a Hall of Famer. It's a wonder they have now wasted all those picks on Darnold when McCown is there to take them to the promised land.

6. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

This is not even close to what I said. But go Petty.

7. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

I can only guess that Petty and Hack remain on the roster until Bridgewater proves he can't play. Then one of them (Petty) walks the plank.

CBG and almbleamal like this.
  8. themorey

themorey Well-Known Member

Petty will probably go for a conditional 2019 pick if anything at all.

9. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I’m hoping the Jets put this story into the atmosphere to try to get someone to bite and send us a pick for him. Because if we were offered a pick and anyone in the organization declined they should be fired.

6-10 once again likes this.
  10. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I know that Parcells wasn't patient, and that's one of the reasons I couldn't stand him even when he was the Jets' HC. I thought he was a jerk and an asshole.

Just because some posters preach patience doesn't mean that they're "emotionally attached to the players." That's just nonsense. Some probably are, but not even most. We just want to try to maximize the worth or value of every draft pick. It's stupid to cut bait too early and see the player go to another team and thrive.

I don't think your statistics are accurate, either. Do you have a source for them, or did you just make them up?

11. twown

twown Well-Known Member

Nothing wrong with disliking an asshole, but when it comes to coaching, you must have a ruthless streak to be successful because heavy roster turnover is part of the game. Parcells' success with talent evaluation speaks for itself.

You're underestimating emotional attachment. It doesn't have to be some strong personal connection. It can be subtle. You draft a guy, you obviously want him to work out for many reasons. You've seen his face. You've heard his story. You've imagined his success. You want your GM to be right. You want your team to look smart. There's all kinds of emotional attachment already there the moment he's drafted.

You say "we want to maximize the value of every draft pick." I say we want to assemble the best roster, period. I don't care how it happens.

Every year there are 90 guys in every NFL camp and only 53 make the team (+p-squad). Of the guys who don't make the team, how many end up making big contributions to playoff success at some point in their careers? I don't believe this is easily quantifiable, but it's not a big number.

You're a very knowledgeable guy, NC. You could probably make a list of Jets who were cut and went onto "thrive" with other teams. But for every one of those guys, there are PLENTY more that were cut and never heard from again. They're forgettable for a reason. Keeping them around because of a patient outlook looks great on the rare occasion that it works, but there are literally 1,000 guys that showed up to NFL camps looking for a job. A third of them are still looking. They're hungry. The diamond in the rough could be out there.

Keeping your pet player around because you're hoping he works out when your eyes tell you he probably won't is what sounds "stupid" to me.

12. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Thanks for the compliment. That's high praise coming from you. I don't think we're that far apart.

I agree that HCs have to be ruthless to an extent, but Parcells went overboard with it. It took little to wind up in his doghouse, and few players ever were able to climb out of that doghouse. I can't remember names at the moment and it's not really worth the time researching, but I'm pretty sure that there were at least a couple of Giants and a couple of Jets whom Parcells treated like crap, put in his doghouse, then cut and they went on to become good players for other teams. I think one area where we do disagree is Parcells' talent evaluation. IMO he sucked as a talent evaluator. For all his complaining about buying his own groceries, he did a pretty piss-poor job of it.

I hadn't thought of emotional attachment in quite the terms you are. We aren't very far apart here at all. In fact, we're pretty close. I don't care how we put together the best roster, either, as long we do it, but one of those ways can be not giving up on a player too soon.

Yes, there are plenty of guys who get cut who never do anything in the NFL. IMO there's a difference however in how players are treated. With Parcells if a player screwed up once, that was it. The player was usually in Parcells' dog house and never was given a chance to get out of it. Players are human. They're gonna make a mistake. Some players are more talented than others, and deserve a little more patience and time, especially if they're being asked to play a position or play in a different style/way (passive read and react type D vs. an aggressive attacking D or vice versa, or an aggressive attacking offense that seeks to impose their will on opposing Ds vs. taking what the D will give you) than they ever have before.

We all know that there's a real shortage of QBs in the NFL. Part of that is because teams have not been patient with them or they've tried to force the QB to play in an offense or in a manner that doesn't match his talents and abilities. Part of it is because they haven't given them enough time to fix their flaws, and build some confidence before forcing them on the field and throwing them to the wolves. That said, GMs and HCs shouldn't have "pet" players. I presume you're referring to Hack as the "pet." The problem is we haven't seen Hack or the players in practice every day. We get to see some players only in preseason and other than that we have to base our opinions upon what the beat writers say, and we know that our beat writers all suck and aren't very knowledgeable. He's also young and could still develop. Petty is one thing. He should go. He's had his chances. I think Hack should be given one last chance in OTAs and TC to prove he deserves to stay. If he doesn't show massive improvement and give them a real reason to believe that he can at least be a very good backup QB in the NFL, then he should be cut. Even if he does show a lot of improvement, at best I think he should be on the PS, not the roster, unless Teddy just isn't healthy or McCown goes down with an injury in TC.