Tank Tyler DT North Carolina St.?

Discussion in 'Draft' started by IIMeanDeanII, Jan 11, 2007.

1. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

I have never seen this guy play (If anyone has any highlights links, I would be VERY thankful). My buddy was telling me that he was a beast, and would fit well in a 3-4 scheme. I am really curious about this guy, and I am assuming he is not as well known due too being in the shadows too his former teamates Mario Williams, Manny Lawson, and John McCargo. Apparently he had a monster SR season.

Would he be around for the Jets 1st round pick, and would he REALLY fit well in a 3-4 scheme like Mangini has implemented? Are any of you high on this guy?

All I know...

Strengths:
    Three-year starter with a lot of experience. Has excellent size. A good athlete with great quickness.Very strong and powerful. Is stout at the point of attack and can hold his ground. Will deliver a blow and drive blockers backward. Able to penetrate and disrupt the action in the backfield...Pursues and chases when he's not tired. Disengages from blocks well. Still improving & had his best year in '06.

Weaknesses:
    Tends to get out of shape and stamina has been a problem. Does not have very good timed speed and lacks a burst to close. Needs to play with more consistent leverage and keep his pad level down. Needs to use his hands better. Only an average pass rusher. Work ethic, intelligence and intangibles are questionable.

Notes:
    Nickname is "Tank". Played on the same defensive line that produced three 2006 first round picks (Mario Williams, Manny Lawson and John McCargo). Was briefly moved to the offensive line as a sophomore. Really broke out as a senior in '06 and elevated his draft stock a great deal which is all the more impressive when you consider that he wasn't surrounded by as much talent as he was in previous years. Will still take too many plays off but there is no denying the talent and he has the tools. A boom or bust type who could excel with a more consistent effort

Any information would be helpful. I cant find any highlights on him at all. Thanks..

2. MParty7441

MParty7441 Well-Known Member

Why does your sig say #24? Houston is 34.

3. jetman8094

jetman8094 New Member

I watched him in a few games and was very impressed. ESPN has him going before the Jets pick in the first round.

4. vilmatic

vilmatic Active Member

What I understand is that he's a one-gapper. Never seen him myself, so I don't know, but the impression I get is that he is a great athlete, but not very disciplined and not great technique-wise. That says to me that he's not a good fit for the 3-4, but I don't konw.

5. Coach K

Coach K New Member

i havent seen much of him, but his negatives are very very disturbing. of course, some guys have issues, whether it be conditioning, attitude, technique, or ethic. but all of those are in question? I"ll pass, especially since technique is FAR more important for a front 3 instead of a front 4.

Sure people whove seen him and his potential would say Mangini could whip him into shape and get him disciplined. I think Mangini would regret a pick like this if theres any validity at all to this scouting report.

6. Brooks Brady

Brooks Brady New Member

Well he doesn't have the size to be a NT here, but they could draft him to use him as a DE. However, I think there are too many negatives in this case, and I don't think Mangini will gamble on him. He's definitely not a "Mangini guy."