Tank is back On!

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Quinnenthebeast, Oct 22, 2017.

1. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

But statistics about how hard it is to draft a FQB also highlight that a lot of these teams don't pick up a QB by accident. Their GM's are leaps and bounds the best in the league, they evaluate well and can tell some QB's can make it in the NFL and others can't. This obviously cannot account for all situations because yes there is luck involved, there is also the very real notion that coaching and surrounding players play a role in how QB's develop. So even if Jets land someone, that's only half of the puzzle. I personally just don't feel as if Macc has done anything ground breaking. It also doesn't look great that he's whiffed on 2 QB's, one that was drafted high that couldn't beat out a career journeyman.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  2. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

It's not a "no brainer" because the cost may be too much.

3. grkmanga31

Big news that is relevant to the 2018 draft - Browns and Bengals came very close to completing a trade which would have sent AJ McCarron to the Browns. This to be is huge because seeing as the Browns will likely be picking #1 it shows that they don't like Kizer. Wonder if they revisit acquiring McCaron in the offseason or draft a QB, or even sign someone else

4. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

In the first place, no one drafts a franchise QB. You draft a QB that you hope becomes the franchise QB. The tag "franchise" has to earned.

5. Jedi mind tricks

Jedi mind tricks Well-Known Member

You're a madman!! I like it.. Back to back safety picks should be our new thing

Peebag likes this.
  6. thedrjay

thedrjay Active Member

7. ColoradoContrails

Thanks! It is interesting. Several initial thoughts...

Yes, other teams that needed a QB - Cleveland, the Niners, even Chicago - passed on him, giving some weight to the decision by Macc to question if Watson was really that good.

Still, when you step back and look at the entire Jets history and their lack of an impact QB since Namath, how could you NOT take a chance, especially given the near-certainty of the impact he would make on their moribund offense?

No one on the Jets is being quoted or sourced, but the "circumstantial evidence" adds up to Macc still hoping that Hackenberg somehow justifies him taking him with his second pick. That he decided to pass on Watson because he already had Hack is very damning evidence of his lack of sound decision-making and evaluating ability.

Personally, I would've taken Mahomes, and maybe that would've been the wrong choice too, but the way Smith is playing we're not going to see what Mahomes can do anytime soon. Still, I would've been thrilled with Watson too. If nothing else it would've shown me that Macc "gets it" - this team is beyond starved for a FQB, and that needs to be the priority. Adams is doing very well, but he's sure not winning games like a FQB prospect would. And again I have to ask: If they had taken Watson (or Mahomes) and skipped over Adams, and gotten Maye, would they be better or worse off? I think it's pretty clear they would be better off, now and going forward. Not to mention it likely would've meant that Macc realized that Hack was a bust and that charade could be ended. Now we're still sitting with a QB shambles, a poor-to-mediocre HC, and a huge question mark about whether the GM even knows how to build a winning team.

SOJs!

8. thedrjay

thedrjay Active Member

I think the explanation provided is sound. You have 2 "developmental" QB's on the roster and based off their internal report, Watson was not a day 1 starter. To allocate another roster slot to a QB who they perceived as not being able to run the WCO and the time and resources needed to continue to develop both Petty and Hack along with the glaring need at safety with a can't miss prospect, I see their reasoning and completely understand it. They took the 'safer' route no doubt, but the organization was in agreement that Adams was a can't miss prospect.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  9. ColoradoContrails

Oh I fully understand their "reasoning"...I just completely disagree with it. First,no one is "can't miss", and Adams is proving that. Yes, he's done well, especially as a rookie, and no doubt will get even better - assuming he doesn't get hurt - but he's not a transformational player like a potential FQB would be. Sure, that FQB could flop, but if you've done your homework the odds of that are lessened, IF you know what you're doing. And according the article, Macc and the Jets DID do their homework and liked Watson a lot. I just think Macc was already realizing he had f'ed up with Hackenberg and was completely risk-averse. But here's the thing: How can you "play it safe" given the Jets history? You don't hit homeruns by bunting, and the Jets need a homerun.

Will-I-Am-Not likes this.
  10. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

We need a RB ( Barkley is a generational talent )because Forte will be gone after this season and Powell who is 29 , is often injured , even when sharing the load with 2 other backs

11. TonyFtLaud

The schedule is looking much better than anyone would have thought. Tampa Bay with 2 wins , the Panthers minus Benjamin, 3 win San Diego. This team could easily win 8 and Finnish at 500 for the year or better. There are so many teams shitting the bed and this team is still playing hard.
    I honestly thought 3 wins was the ceiling for this team , and only if they cought some breaks but I was definitely wrong.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  12. grkmanga31

Yep, I gotta say I was wrong. Yesterday's win was the best I've felt about this team since 2015 when we were 1 win away from the playoffs. I don't want to get ahead of myself though because we have a lot of games left and the QB position is still looking bleak past this point, but we played tough, smart, and hungry yesterday and that's a big plus. We dominated the bills yesterday

NYJetsO12, JetsVilma28 and TonyFtLaud like this.
  13. MJK

MJK Well-Known Member

I would be careful how excited I would get over a Thursday night win..As fun as it was to watch Buffalo clearly didn't show up and played a part in how good we looked.

14. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

But Mac is not drafting based on the jets history,he is drafting based on what’s right for 2017 and beyond. I think he had a pretty fair grade on Watson and was smart to play safe. As much as we need a qb, this roster needed some holes filled and couldn’t afford a swing and miss with that pick.
    And you can’t bring up Mayes unless you can prove Mac knew he would be there after he made the Adams pick

15. TonyFtLaud

It's funny but I was extremely critical of Bowles in 2015. That team was much more talented but gave no where near the effort. The game planning was way to conservative and there we're too many times we let teams right back into the game. There are a couple posters here from the no closed nyjets.com forum that thought I was crazy.
    This team has way less talent but plays hard. The officials took the win from them vs NE and Morton made a rookie mistake at the end of the Miami game or this team would be first in the division one almost assured of a playoff spot.
    There's alot of football left to be played and anything can happen, but even without another win, this team has exceeded expectations.

grkmanga31 and NYJetsO12 like this.
  16. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

maybe soon the Jets will be in the Texans situation prior to the Watson draft, and would be able to afford such an investment in a QB. Look at the teams outside of the Bears that drafted QBs. Chiefs put Mahomes in a great situation, Watson not so much, but Watson does have some good weapons on the outside. A good defense to compliment Watson. Chiefs and Texans are 1 piece away from contending. Draft is all about situation and more importantly opportunity.

Jets got some weapons on the outside, hopefully the Jets put more work in on the offensive line (LT and C) and the QB will be in a comfortable situation.

TonyFtLaud likes this.
  17. FJF

Really this draft should be all about the qb. Either drafting 1 or shoring up the line for cousins. Outside of edge rusher the d is solid. This is the draft where Mac either shows he willing to go all in on a qb or he is just going to continue to try to catch lightning in a bottle

18. Laxg41

Laxg41 Well-Known Member

Is it worth considering barkley if the qbs are gone seeing as he is a Demi god

19. FJF

I think Barkley goes before the qbs but yes

ColoradoContrails and TonyFtLaud like this.
  20. TonyFtLaud

I think Barkley will definitely be in play , especially if Cousins is signed.
    It's still way to early to know what direction the draft will take.
    There are currently 14 teams drafting ahead of us which means little at this point because it can all change drastically by the end of the season.
    There will be alot of QBs in play this off-season. Brees, Cousins, Bridgewater, Bradford , Possibly Alex Smith and according to some Luck could even be traded.

ColoradoContrails and NYJetsO12 like this.