Surprising that the Jets made no roster claims

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by TonyFtLaud, Sep 2, 2018.

1. joe

joe Well-Known Member

Chargers used him as a 4-3 DL; he's better suited as a 3-4 OLB. His problem was staying healthy and giving the Niners a longer look.

2. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

Overeaction is right! Bowles and Macnuts are overreacting to the lack of a pash rush! TWELVE DBs on the roster. 1 more on suspended list (Robinson). Anothrer on PUP list (Miles) . Then TWO of the first four players signed to practice squad are DBs too (Clark and Bryant). That up to 16 DBs now the jets have around. Dumb dips.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  3. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

And the two of the first 4 practice squad signings were two more DBs--Bryant and Clark. Now they have 16 DBs hanging around! Give me a break!

4. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I think Macc and Bowles have inside info that the NFL is going to expand the number of players on the field to 22 - 11 of which can be defensive backs.

NYJetsO12 and tomdeb like this.
  5. jixxjr

jixxjr Well-Known Member

I was wondering if maybe they are keeping all these D backs to use on special teams? Maybe the coverage units? Special Teams did appear weak during the preseason.

6. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

Super Bowl Champion Eagles currently have 13 on their roster, Vikings have 14, Jags have 11, Broncos have 13. That is the top 4 teams in total D from last season, in a passing league that has increasingly seen more and more nickel and dime sets (65%+ last season) you need a lot of DBs

K'OB, themorey and LAJet like this.
  7. The Waterboy

Gesundheit
    Attaochu looked good coming out but dropped off quickly. I know he was bothered by injuries season before last, I wonder if he just didn't get the playing time last season or if the injury lingered. Can't be much worse than what is currently on the team.

8. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Guess we’ll see how a change of scenery works for Achoo.

9. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Probably 11 now with the signing of the OLB. I suspect more changes in the making. There might even be a trade in the making.

10. Rollo Tomassi

Rollo Tomassi Well-Known Member

I like this move.

I just wish there was some way to figure out how old he is, how big he is, where he went to college, what conference and his 40 time.

101GangGreen101 likes this.
  11. mr nyjet

mr nyjet Well-Known Member

then, he should have looked at , or tried to deala 7th for a backup ot from either the chargers or eagles.

12. mr nyjet

mr nyjet Well-Known Member

i am guessing some of those guys are still around just because of need on special teams.

13. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Would you give up your back up it for a 7th ?

Mr mittens likes this.
  14. Mr mittens

Mr mittens Active Member

Why you know someone giving us a 7th for Qvale. I’d be all over that

FJF likes this.
  15. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

It's a passing league. And many teams are using Dime packages as well as 3 safety looks. Maybe/Adams/Brooks or Middleton will be on the field quite a bit, especially now that Bowles maybe more comfortable having another cover corner in TJ to go along with Skrine and Claiborne

16. The Waterboy

All Gas No Shake and FJF like this.
  17. JetsfanHBca

JetsfanHBca Active Member

https://www.ganggreennation.com/2018/9/2/17810890/2018-new-york-jets-practice-squad-tracker

2018 New York Jets Practice Squad

1. Brandon Bryant, Safety. Undrafted in the 2018 NFL supplemental draft, Bryant had a strong ending to the preseason. Could be a factor in the safety rotation by next year.
    2. Frankie Luvu, OLB. Undrafted free agent in the 2018 NFL draft class, Luvu was a surprise cut. Had a strong camp, at times running with the starters. Might be in the plans as a situational pass rusher of the future.
    3. Deontay Burnett, WR. Undrafted free agent in the 2018 NFL draft class, Burnett had a very strong preseason with the Tennessee Titans, catching all eleven passes he was targeted on. Former USC teammate of Sam Darnold.
    4. De’Angelo Henderson, RB. A poor man’s Maurice Jones-Drew, and a personal favorite of mine, Henderson is a height challenged running back and a sixth round choice of the Broncosin the 2017 NFL draft. Henderson could challenge for playing time soon.
    5. Anthony Wint, ILB. Undrafted free agent from the 2018 NFL draft class. A smallish inside linebacker without much in the way of cover skills. Difficult to see this guy developing into a meaningful contributor. Perhaps could be useful on special teams.
    6. Jeremy Clark, CB. A giant cornerback bigger than any safety on the roster, nearly big enough to be a linebacker. Drafted by the Jets in the sixth round of the 2017 NFL draft, Clark spent most of the 2017 season on the sidelines injured.
    7. Nico Falah, OL. Undrafted free agent from the 2018 NFL draft class. An undersized center/guard and another USC teammate of Sam Darnold. Falah spent time in the Tennessee Titans camp this preseason.
    8. John Wolford, QB. Undrafted free agent from the 2018 NFL draft class. Got some playing time in the fourth preseason game, and also attended Jets rookie minicamp. This one is a puzzler. Wolford showed nothing in the preseason game, was not highly regarded coming out of college, and in my opinion there were a number of significantly better QBs that cleared waivers.
    9. Dieugot Joseph, OT. Undrafted free agent from the 2017 NFL draft class. Joseph is a bit undersized, raw, athletic, long armed left tackle project. Originally signed by the Chicago bears, he also spent some time with the Baltimore Ravens and the Minnesota Vikings. A lottery ticket with some raw athletic tools to try to develop into an NFL left tackle.
    10. Bronson Kaufusi, DL. A third round pick by the Baltimore Ravens from the 2016 NFL draft class. A bit of a tweener in the Jets defense at 6’ 6”, 275 pounds. Missed the entire 2016 season with a broken ankle. Played three games for the Ravens in 2017

18. DefenseWinsChampionships

The bold is untrue. Many of teams have gotten rid of very good to great Kickers in order for salary cap relief.

The Jets released Nick Folk despite after becoming our most accurate FG Kicker of All-Time while coming off an excellent 2016 season with an 87.1% success rate.

Another example are the N.E Patriots and Adam Vinatieri, who after the 2005 season (10th year in NE), the Patriots chose not to place the Franchise Tag on Vinatieri (as they had the year before); allowing him to become a free agent at the age of 33-34 and later signed with Indy. .

Adam Vinatieri 13 years later and @ the age of 45 is still kicking for Indianapolis.

19. Rollo Tomassi

Rollo Tomassi Well-Known Member

Interesting no Antonio Garcia. Thought he’s stick on the PS.

20. joe

joe Well-Known Member

Dropping someone from a roster may or may not involve cap considerations but (read this slowly): it does not exclude circumstances where a more promising alternative (i.e. replacement) comes on the scene.

It's why Nick Folk lost his job in Dallas to David Buehler.

It's why David Buehler in turn lost his job to Dan Bailey.

Nick Folk "hit the wall" starting in 2015 (missing half the year) followed by a decline in 2016 and a full-blown, career-ending collapse in 2017. The 2016 season 87% rate is totally misleading because Folks attempted 24 FGs between 20-39 yds and only 3 from 40-49; a very disingenuous ommission on your part. Jets may've saved cap space releasing Folk but they (correctly) cut a washed up kicker so your "in bold is untrue" comment is disingenuous at best....just like all your phony aliases PhillyStaxx...or is it KnicksFanFromQueens?....or is it TampaBayJetsFan85?....or is it......

[​IMG]

101GangGreen101 and FJF like this.