Super Bowl XLIX Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by The Dark Knight, Jan 29, 2015.

1. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I don't see one made. My first question:

How much do you think Dan Quinn having basically 2 feet out the door to Atlanta will hurt the Seahawks Defense? I imagine it could play a small factor.

2. SteveGrogan

SteveGrogan Well-Known Member

Not at all, I think the players are happy for him and want to give him a big send off party... I also think his performance in this game may have a lot to do with his contract - from what I understand even though there are nod nod wink winks - they really aren't allowed to discuss specifics until after the seahawks season is over.

Although I heard something about the "season" actually ending upon the close of the regular season so I'm not positive on that aspect.

3. SteveGrogan

This whole "take away your best thing" by Belichick is nice in theory, but if their best thing is manhandling you at the line of scrimmage and running around you and through tackles - there's really not much you can do from a coaching aspect. Green Bay did a really nice job of completely shutting down that offense for 95% of a game. But I will say I've never seen a team that could go to their running back and run a 2 minute drill basically entirely on the ground between the tackles.

I think in general the read option is garbage unless you have the speed on the field for it, and that may be the case here.

I think the real interesting thing will be if new england can get movement at the LOS when they're on offense and open up the A & B gaps - that could really frustrate and wear down a defense and from what I've read the Seahawks are thin in the middle right now.

4. phubbadaman

phubbadaman Well-Known Member

I think the 2 feet out the door won't make much of a difference, it was probably more his preparing for the interview and the actual interview themselves that would distract him.

As far as the game goes, I think it all depends on New England's offense. GB played better than Seattle for the majority of the game, but they couldn't really score to put it away. (obviously) If NE finds ways to score points, they are going to win the game.

I'm biased, I dislike the Patriots more than any other team, so it is tough to look at it fairly, but Seattle seems to be the better team. Denver was an offensive juggernaut last year and Seattle destroyed them. While NE's defense may be a bit better than Denver's was last year, I'm not sold that they will be able to score enough to win.

It will likely be close, but I would imagine Seattle will win this game. Who would have thought B2B super bowls for Russell Wilson? That guy is going to make some money!

5. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

I hate the SB logos, I wish they'd go back to unique logos for each SB.

6. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

I think the keys to the game are simple for both teams (outside of controlling the ball; no turnovers).

For the Patriots to win: They will need to keep Wilson contained inside the tackles on the option plays.

For the Seahawks to win: They will need to figure out how to monitor Edelman and LaFell...assuming Gronk will be double teamed inside the 35 all day.

JMHO

7. NotSatoshiNakamoto

I think blount could put a hurting on the seahawks.

8. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

I think if he gives NE any run game NE will fare well in this game.

9. SteveGrogan

It's funny because I think Wilson's actual monetary value is difficult to determine. He's making like $800k right now, and supposedly will become the highest paid QB in the league... but for what? The read option?

His speed won't last forever and I still consider him more of a game manager than a game winner, even after last week. Once they have to pay him, they're going to start taking hits elsewhere with respect to cap space.

I don't know which team is better right now, it's like comparing a monster truck to a Ferrari or something -it depends what you're going for. Seattle has speed, and you can't coach speed. But the Patriots can play a ton of man to man while stacking the box. They have a good hurry up short passing attack, but Seattle can stuff the line of scrimmage.

One thing to pay attention to early is the battles in the trenches to see if the offensive linemen from either team can get to the linebackers. Those combo blocks are the difference of a 3 yard run or a 15 yard run.

10. The Dark Knight

People don't realize the Colts Defense is the the opposite of the Seahawks Defense. It will not be similar at all for the Patriots. I expect more of a Jets Gameplan vs. the Patriots from the Seahawks. The difference is they have players who can pull it off. Instead of losing by 1 or 2 like the Jets this year, they can win by 10+ with the same game plan.

11. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

I want Seattle win but I don't really think they will. I had Lynch and Hauschka as my fantasy players in a league and I ended up watching a lot of Seahawks games. Brady, Gronkowski and Lafell was my players on another league and I ended up watching a lot of Pats games as well. If both teams play their average games, Pats will win. One unknown for me is the impact of non-deflated ball having on Pats running game and passing game. That's why I won't bet on this game at all.

Pats are my favorites but properly inflated balls are the X factor that makes me stay away from Pats.

12. SteveGrogan

Pretty spot on I'd say. I also think Special teams are where New England has an advantage, particularly punt returns.

It's going to be really interesting the condition of Richard Sherman's arm along with how the refs let them play in the secondary. Defensive backs are gonna need the game of their lives from either team.

13. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

If the Patriots contain, they win. Regardless of the other scenarios.

I said above and my former post to my ex-college roommates, both Patriots fans, at the beginning of the playoffs and stand by it.

The Patriots were the strongest team going into the playoffs. Seattle definitely found a second gear and that gutsy win against Green Bay showed they still can find a way to win despite turnovers.

Either way, I expect this game to be decided by less than 6.

14. SteveGrogan

It's just really difficult to both contain and close down the A and B gaps at the same time. Really difficult.

15. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

Straight from a football perspective, I think Seattle wins this game.

For one, we all know how they show up in the big game. Last year was a testament to that.

I think the biggest factor in this game will be Russell Wilson. If he performs like he did against Green Bay, they are fucked. There is no way you beat New England with 4 interceptions. Marshawn Lynch will be huge like usual and the big question mark will also be Richard Sherman. Does Brady exploit his injury? Likely. The question is how well he can perform with torn ligaments in his elbow.

This game is gonna be fun to watch. I can't imagine a blow out like last year. It will be close but if Wilson can limit his mistakes, Seahawks win. They are the better team, in my eyes. Better defense, better running game and coming off a season having been in the same position. I like Seattle a lot in this game.

Also will be interesting to see what happens with the footballs. If Brady really prefers and does better with a 12.5 pound ball, he might lose something with a higher inflated ball. Now, it likely won't have an impact, but there is the possibility of it. Something to watch out for.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  16. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

The league has always provided the footballs for the game. I don't see why they couldn't accommodate 12.5 for Brady since its a legal setting.

17. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

He has 3 championships all won with league provided balls. PSI should be a non-issue in warm Arizona.

18. Falco21

Yes, 12.5 is in the legal limit, but the question is, does the league fill it to the max to prevent it from ever dropping below that limit.

19. Falco21

He has 3 championships all won with video tape footage.

Now he's got no footage and an inflated ball to the max. Makes things interesting

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  20. The Dark Knight

This week had me asking: How did Eli Manning beat the Patriots twice? My mind is still blown. Back to this game though, Seattle would be heavy favorites if Russell Wilson wasn't so terrible in the NFC title game. That game made many jump off Seattle's bandwagon. Still, with all those mistakes they won. Imagine if they don't make any?