Super Bowl LII Thread - Philadelphia Eagles vs. Patriots

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by forevercursed, Jan 21, 2018.

1. johnny

johnny Well-Known Member

I think it also comes down to:

1) The INT (which was the biggest difference in the QB rating) was not his fault.

2) Foles caught the ball better :) - admittedly on a much easier chance.

FJF, tbruner12 and Patriot like this.
  2. playtowinthegame

playtowinthegame Well-Known Member

That definitely earns my respect, and I already respected him.

NYJetsO12 and Brook! like this.
  3. tbruner12

tbruner12 Well-Known Member

Be honest, on 3 occasions Brady was bailed out on critical 3rd down incompletions with a flag. 2 of which led to TD's after they would have had to punt deep in there own territory.
    Gronk flopped on one obvious play where Brady didn't even look his way. Without those calls, the Patriots lose by 21.
    The refs always extent Brady's drives to keep him pretending to be the GOAT, especially when the PATS are reeling.
    There is no way you can deny these, when your defense blatantly committed 3rd down penalties which were not called.
    If you are as unbiased as you claim, did you boo the no calls that the Pats benefitted from?
    No way you can say with a straight face that the Refs and NFL brass do not favor and lean toward the Pats.
    Or are you biased?
    Just sayin

NYJalltheway likes this.
  4. Patriot

Patriot Well-Known Member

My frustration is with its all about the QB argument in football. The glorification of Brady is over done and so will it be the glorification of Foles.

Does anyone think that either Foles or Brady would have had such a great game if the Jets offensive line was protecting them?

Many of you, not necessarily you Johnny, think that a QB will solve all your Jets problems. The line of scrimmage does matter and in my humble opinion the Eagles offensive line should get the MVP trophy. Brady and the Patriots offense are successful because of their offensive line just like Montana was great because of the players around him.

Had Brady not been strip sacked and the Patriots marched down the field for a winning score, we would be listening to the media for the next several months explain how Brady won the SB and is the greatest of the greats. Someone missed a blocking assignment and it cost the Pats the game. This is the real story. So be prepared to hear how Foles is great and how every NFL team should have him as a QB.

5. Patriot

Patriot Well-Known Member

Playing the referee card is what losers do. You obviously wanted the Eagles to win and you hate the Patriots. Does that not make you bias?

On almost every play holding could be called on offensive lineman. As far as Gronk goes on the holding call you can clearly see the defender grabbing his jersey. On the Gronk TD you could have argued he got away with a push like many receivers do. Both sides got calls and non calls from the refs. This is what happens in a close game so I think it is stupid to even go down that route. The fact you only care about the calls that favored the Pats suggest your bias. I did want the Pats to win but I am not going to play the cry baby game of other Pats fans who were not happy about some calls. Good teams overcome adversity which includes bad calls.

Overall I think the officials did a reasonable good job calling the game and they let the players play. Anyone who wants to go into how the refs controlled this game is simply out to lunch.

Bellows1 likes this.
  6. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

Brook! likes this.
  7. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

I think we can finally agree that Tom Brady is the goat after he lost the big game for his team.

dogg, NYJetsO12 and tbruner12 like this.
  8. langdon1975

langdon1975 Member

Very entertaining Super Bowl, but just like last year's game, not a very good one. Eagles couldn't stop the Patriots, although they still seemed to have some defensive players, unlike the Patriots who even made Bortles look like Montana. That defense had no business being in the Super Bowl. The only way the Pats got a stop was if Foles threw at Gilmore for some reason. So many missed opportunities to get off the field but no. If a QB throws for 500(!) yards and still loses, somebody needs to be fired. I can't believe Patricia will be the head coach of a team.

Hopefully the product on the field will be better next season. First time ever that I'm thinking about not paying for Game Pass, because the season was once again terrible. Protests don't bother me but mediocre/bad football does.

phubbadaman likes this.
  9. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

Defense wins championships.

Dierking likes this.
  10. langdon1975

langdon1975 Member

Definitely not this year.

11. tbruner12

Overall you questioned the TD by Philly where 2 refs signaled TD, and the Ertz play was just like what happened in Pittsburg.
    You did come here to the JETS site to say these things and you did so softly. Even if softly, you were headed to lunch but not crying... Just sniffling. By the way if you deny that Gronk flopped, I'll stop right there.
    By you saying a call could be made on any play tells me all I need to know about your bias. You are still in denial about NE getting help.
    Damn straight I wanted them to lose, you have that right atleast.
    Get ready to return to the old days of PATS mediocrity. The dynasty is over. J-E-T-S..Jets, Jets, Jets!!

12. langdon1975

langdon1975 Member

Did I miss Brady announcing retirement? Was it over when their D was terrible few years back and the Broncos beat them?The Pats just lost a Super Bowl where they didn't punt once and threw for 500+ yards. They get Edelman, Hightower and their high draft pick who got hurt preseason last year back to start the next season. On paper their team is better than it was this season.

13. Bellows1

Bellows1 Well-Known Member

Yeah, I wouldn't say Brady is done just yet. Not just because of him, but I don't see any one in the AFC who' gonna knock out the Pats in a playoff game.

The nightmare ain't over Jets fans.

14. tbruner12

Actually I was being asinine.
    With the refs not reversing Ertz's TD when they were close to doing so I'm sure, means that the NFL brass and refs who are controlled by them , will stop helping NE.
    The play in the Pittsburg game was similar. The Pitt TE had two feet down, his knee hit the ground as he poked the ball through the imaginary plane at the goal line, then his hands hit the ground and the ball moved.
    Two feet and a knee, are just like 3 feet and a dive. Both were truly TD's.
    NE was helped in Pitt by the refs.
    On the big stage and the world watching, the refs were afraid to help NE on the Ertz play.

As for truths sake pertaining to next years NE team....
    Their defense is not that good.
    Brady isn't getting younger, and there is only one of him on the roster.
    Gronk is considering retirement according to the NFL network interview.
    The NFC is the best conference in football right now, and most of their teams are younger. It will be hard for any AFC team to win SuperBowls moving into the future.

15. tbruner12

How long you think Brady will play? I'm curious.
    Jaxs had them beat, got major penalty help in the 2nd half against the Jax secondary, and they were a wildcard team. AFC teams are not getting further and further behind, they are getting closer.
    NE is a Brady injury away from being done, as well.
    NE gonna win it all next year?

16. langdon1975

langdon1975 Member

Oh this is one of those "they only win because of the refs". Imagine those two calls today being Pats touchdowns and everyone would be screaming rigged. Which would be stupid. Also thinking that Pittsburgh wouldn't have gotten bounced in the playoffs if they won that game is funny. I thought Ertz TD was different from the Pitt game, because he had a two step running start with a ball in his hand and then he got touched. so that was clearly a TD because he became a runner. Still a stupid risk to reach for the goal line.

Now the throw to the end zone was curious. That's a call they reverse 9 times out of 10. But again, those plays weren't the reason for the loss. Pats were pre-Revis bad on defense, mostly because of injuries. They get Hightower back and lost Rivers to injury preseason and Ninkovich retired. That's three starters right there that they weren't able to replace. The biggest issue in the secondary was Butler. He was terrible the whole year. Gilmore started off slow but really improved and was clearly the best defender in the Super Bowl.

Pats lost a Super Bowl without punting once, so that tells you how bad the defense was this season. Even without adding anyone they should be much improved defensively just by getting injured players back. I'm not worried about their offense even if Gronk would retire. Problem with Gronk is that they won't ever get 16 healthy games out of him, so your gameplan changes all the time.

17. zace

zace Well-Known Member

I think we draft a guy, tb gets fired and we get an offensive coach..... Would not be suprised if it's bates

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

18. zace

zace Well-Known Member

19. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

If you told me the Eagles were going to win when Brady threw for 500, 3 touchdowns, no INTs and the Pats only had 1 penalty and didn't punt I would tell you to get off the weed. What an insane game.

20. RPOZ51

RPOZ51 Well-Known Member

I already received an e-mail from Amazon saying that I can buy the DVD/BluRay of yesterday's Super Bowl.

I know this is loser talk - but - as the tee shirt says, my favorite team is the Jets, and whoever is playing the Patriots. The smug, cheatin' thievin' bastids that they are.