Strategy for Selling Tickets: Stubhub, etc.?

Discussion in 'Jets Experience' started by Digetydog, Jun 18, 2010.

1. MurrellMartin

MurrellMartin Well-Known Member

I will enjoy the Thanksgiving Day Game because the parking lots will be mostly empty until 6pm, at the earliest. I will really enjoy hanging out in a mostly empty lot from 3:30-6.

2. pats-hater

pats-hater Active Member

I love how Jets fans from LI can't make the commute to the game but I come down all the way from Western Mass in all sorts of weather for EVERY home game...

3. MurrellMartin

MurrellMartin Well-Known Member

That is some crazy/awesome dedication. :beer:

4. Hennessy2710

Hennessy2710 New Member

Thats completely false, majority of LIers make the commute to these jet games, idk what your talking about.

The stadium will be packed out and the tailgating will be full force. Not going to be even close to an empty parking lot, keep dreaming

5. dthomas53

dthomas53 New Member

It's the Lions, dude. The Lions.

6. Digetydog

Digetydog Member

Not only is it the Lions, it is in Detroit. As an American, I hope Detroit somehow recovers. Nevertheless, the economy in Detroit has taken the worst of the economic downturn.

Throw in a team that employed Matt Millon, draft Mike Williams - who couldn't play, Charles "White Powder" Rogers, and Roy "I am leaving town" Williams," any crowd in double digits is a miracle.

7. RowOneJetFan

RowOneJetFan Guest

When do we get our tickets mailed?

No one from LI is going to Thansgiving game, first of all traffice is insanely horrible that night and damm LIRR and NJ Transist late Sunday night schedules are a nightmare. That on top of heat you get from family and people like me whose company is not closed the next day makes it even kookier. I would rather have it be a late game on a plain old night.

That game is useless.

8. Hennessy2710

Hennessy2710 New Member

Ya I doubt anyone will go to this game, probably like 15000 show up. The tickets are coming in mid July im pretty sure.

All seriousness about the Thanksgiving game, there will be 86000 people there and alot of them will be from Long Island including myself and alot of other STH i know

9. Digetydog

Digetydog Member

Find someone with kids that wants to go. Growing up in Dallas (we weren't season ticket holders), people would take their kids to the game after eating. That way, they didn't get crap for being horrible parents.

If my child (coming in late September) was old enough to go, I would take her.

10. Section 227. Row 5

Section 227. Row 5 Active Member

You're 20 years old and looking at it from that perspective. And how many 20-year old STHers do you know, anyway?

Truth is, most people aren't 20 years old and can't look at this POS game from a 20-year old's perspective. 20-year olds sleep 'till 11am on Thanksgiving morning. Then they get up and take a shower and prepare themselves to sit down at the dinner table. They wouldn't know how to mash a potato if it bit them on the ass. They gripe about something as simple as having to set the table, for Christ's sake.

My point is, most parents have to get up early, prepare dinner, get themselves ready and either go over to the in-law's house or have them over, and make sure their lazy-assed 20-year old is ready on time. Sure it's easy to scoot out the door at that age and go to the game.

But for the AVERAGE season ticketholder, this game is a logistical nightmare unless he owns many, many seats and can invite all his inlaws. Otherwise, how do you do Thanksgiving dinner and go to the game without being a complete asshole, whether you're having dinner at home or going over someone else's house? "Well, thank you, everyone, for coming. Now could you hurry up and finish the pumpkin pie, because me and Charlie have to go to a Jets game." Or if you're over someone else's house, its "Hey gang, it sure was nice of you to invite us. Sorry we can't help with the dishes but me and Charlie have to go to a Jets game. I would have invited you all but we only have two seats and I couldn't sell them for shit on StubHub, so I have to go now. Hey Doris, can you wrap up some pumpkin pie to go for me and Charlie?" I mean, come on. 86,000 fans will be there?

11. pats-hater

pats-hater Active Member

Lets see, I remember the game last year when it snowed like a bitch and there was almost nobody there.

Yet as always I made the trip down, took me 6 hours to get to the game and 5 to get home.

Let me think, oh that's right, there have been plenty of games where the stadium has not even been close to full and there I am after making the average 8.5 hour round trip..

I'm not bitching about my situation, I'm all about it but don't tell me about empty stadiums dude, I've seen plenty of them FIRST HAND.

#31 pats-hater, Jun 24, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2010
  12. pats-hater

pats-hater Active Member

Hilarious as always.. lol at Charlie..

#32 pats-hater, Jun 24, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2010
  13. MadBacker Prime

MadBacker Prime THE Dead Rabbit

With this as with everything else ticket based it's a matter of opinion.

My Pops is 56 and can't wait, as are the 40 somethings we tailgate with. We haven't heard of one person in our tailgate back out yet. All our tailgater's travel from NJ and Rockland County though.

14. GrindHouse

GrindHouse Member

For all those long time STH's out there. Can somebody give me a breakdown to how empty or full the Stadium been through the years (@Jets games). Is the home opener the only regular season game that will have a full crowd?

15. Section 227. Row 5

The only way this Thanksgiving 8:20PM kickoff makes any sense at all is if you either:

(A) Bite the bullet, do the responsible thing and sell your tickets for whatever you can get for them and stay the hell home and watch it on TV with your wife and kids and entire family, or

(B) Buy extra tickets and invite everyone who would have been at your table and make a special "Thanksgiving To Remember" out of it. You pre-cook the turkey and all the fixin's and you bring it all to the parking lot and do the whole enchilada right there in the parking lot... warm mashed potatoes, gravy, cranberry sauce, pumpkin pie, the whole 9 yards.

Those are the only two options, otherwise you're an asshole. You can't leave the table and go with Charlie in the middle of the afternoon. It'd be like, "Bye kids! Me and Uncle Charlie are goin' to the game and gettin' drunk as usual. Sorry you can't come but these damned tickets ARE expensive, you know? Hey, make sure you watch us on TV and look for us in Row 23... we'll be the ones wearing green and white and drinking beer. No, don't worry, I'll be the one driving since Uncle Charlie had that second DWI. Well... have a nice time eating your pumpkin pie and make sure you give mommy a hand putting the dishes in the sink, okay? SEE YA!"

16. RowOneJetFan

RowOneJetFan Guest

Depends, on weather, how good jets do and schedule. This ain't Viking fans

17. Section 227. Row 5

Well there you go.... option B. Sounds like a great plan.

18. Section 227. Row 5

Season openers are well attended. Always plenty of irrational exhuberance and over-the-top optimism following our customary off-season, newspaper article-enduced anticipation for a winning streak and Superbowl run.

This year's no different, I notice. In fact, we're going to win the Superbowl this year, I'm told. so yeah, the stadium will be packed early and often, especially because it's the new stadium and all.

But typically, attendance follows performance and there's no other team whose attendance rises and falls based on performance more than the Jets. If we go in the tank, the new stadium may carry the attendance better for the first few years because of the "newness" of it all and the hype. But it will eventually settle into the same old pattern, I think.

If we're winning, the attendance will vary from good to average depending upon weather, the opponent and the time and convenience/inconvenience of the game time and day. If we're losing, it can be downright dismal, like the Kansas City game several Decembers ago. I mean, pitiful. I went down to the 50YL in the Lowers and watched Kellen Clemens shit up the field. There were empty seats all over the place. The crowd was chanting, "C-H-A-D, Chad, Chad, Chad" for Pennington to come back into the game. Good thing hardly anybody was there because it couldn't be heard on TV, that's how poor the attendance was.

19. alleycat9

alleycat9 Well-Known Member

really the question is... are there 86000 people with so little couth that they completely disregard their loved ones so that they can be completely selfish and do what THEY want to do.

then again the family structure in this country and this area of the country is so completely fucked that it really isnt an issue.

there i go preaching again :)

20. GrindHouse

GrindHouse Member

Very good points and all of them make sense. I will skip the Giants game, hit the Skins, Ravens and Patriots game and probably attend 70 percent of the remaining 6 regular season games. Its just good to know that for the most part the new Stadium and Woody's PSL's will bring in a good amount of fans. I am like you man, I hope we win the Superbowl this year! That's one thing that I think will make us Jets fans forget about the PSL's that Woody brought on us.