Star Ledger

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by gafher, Mar 1, 2006.

1. gafher

gafher New Member

Pennington determined 'to be a Jet'
    Quarterback optimistic deal can be reached
    Wednesday, March 01, 2006
    BY DAVE HUTCHINSON
    Star-Ledger Staff

Over and over again yesterday, Chad Pennington said his contract standoff with the Jets is strictly business, nothing personal. He said he understands the Jets have concerns about his twice surgically repaired throwing shoulder and hopes the club understands his stance.

Yet, Pennington's loyalty to the Jets and his desire to remain with the team kept coming through with his every comment. For better or worse, a piece of the quarterback's heart will always be colored green and white when the Jets make a decision on his future by Friday.

"I want to be a Jet," Pennington said in a conference call from Bradenton, Fla., where he's working out daily at the IMG Academies. "I want to finish what we started.
    Advertisement

"I'm an optimist. If everything works out the way I think it can work out, I'll be a Jet. If that doesn't happen, that's okay, too, because I've enjoyed my time here. This isn't anything personal against me. The Jets need to do what they think is necessary to take the organization to the next level.

"I just have a certain peace about the situation," Pennington continued. "The reason why it (negotiations) has taken so long is I have had to really evaluate where I am in my career and what I need to do for my family. Whatever happens, it was meant to be."

Pennington, due a $3 million roster bonus on Friday, has been asked to take a pay cut from $9 million to $1 million next season with the chance to reclaim the money in incentives. Pennington and his agent, Tom Condon, flatly rejected the offer.

The two sides met last weekend in Indianapolis at the NFL scouting combine and Condon made a counteroffer seeking $4 million to $5 million in a base salary or guaranteed money plus incentives. The Jets have moved off their original offer and negotiations are ongoing and headed in a positive direction, according to someone close to the talks.

"I believe in a win-win situation and I believe there's a middle ground here where we both can agree upon," Pennington said. "I think things have taken a positive step. If I wasn't comfortable with that, then I wouldn't be negotiating. I would've cut it off cold turkey.

"I've always felt really good about the situation. Although it has been a soap opera in the media, I've never felt that way. I understand where the Jets are coming from and I also understand what I'm trying to accomplish as an individual. ... The Jets are going to come in with the lowest possible offer."

If the two sides can't reach an agreement by Friday, Pennington will likely be released and would count a whopping $12 million on the salary cap. An impending extension of the collective bargaining agreement is expected to give teams more salary cap room this season and increase the chances of the Jets working out a deal with Pennington.

Pennington, 29, said his rehab is going "great" and expects to start throwing "fairly soon." Time, he says, is on his side and he doesn't have to rush back like he did following his first surgery.

He said he expects to be on hand for the start of off-season workouts on March 20 and participate in minicamp. He expects to be full throttle by the start of training camp in late July.

Pennington, saying he has bounced back from injuries before, said he and new head coach Eric Mangini talk often and are on the same page.

"I really respect coach Mangini," Pennington said. "I think the greatest thing we've done together throughout the whole process is we've been open-minded, even through the negotiation process."

Mangini hasn't promised Pennington the starting job and there's a chance the Jets could select Vanderbilt quarterback Jay Cutler with their first-round pick, fourth overall, in April's draft. The club also plans to sign a veteran quarterback.

"I feel good about the situation," Pennington said. "I'll try to make the best decision for me and my family and my career. I'm hopeful the Jets are included in that and we can get something done. My goal is to stay in New York."

2. 28rogerblaze51

28rogerblaze51 New Member

I dont mind him staying as our back up, because in all honesty i think his shoulder is done. After his first surgery he said he was ready wether he lied or not i dont know, but what we all know is that it ripped again, a second surgery and he says the same? Then it will rip again. He needs either a whole other year to heal and be a backup, or get cut and not be able to play again.

3. O'Brien7

O'Brien7 New Member

Chad has a lot of character, and fits the mold of Mangini's regime. He would be a tremendous leader in the locker room and on the field, and a good example to follow for the rookies and younger players. I hope he stays because he gives the Jets a great deal of class.

4. Jets3-4D

Jets3-4D New Member

I have to agree, Chad's a proven leader and he always gives it his all. I hope he stays and fully recovers from the shoulder injury. Agree or disagree one thing is for sure is that Chad will give it his all to come back and be the QB he was before the injuries.

5. RDriven3

RDriven3 New Member

The above is why you gotta like the guy and you pull for him to be back healty and playing well, we have only seen a glimpse of what he can do then 3 freak injuries have reduced him to who knows what. I understand a lot of people on these boards feel little or no loyalty to him becasuse hell we all want to win and many of us feel Chad is not the guy anymore. But I do hope in some miracle, which I think is what he needs, I mean physically you know it's not good, he comes back, plays well and ends his career with the Jets.

6. JetsFan

JetsFan Well-Known Member

If we draft a QB then Chad needs to go. It's bad enough for a rookie to come in and start from day one, but even worse if he has to look over his shoulder all the time. Chad will never be happy as a #2 yet that is all he will ever be good for. You can no longer count on him for a whole season.

A #4 pick will demand at least $6-$7 million a year, and anyone that gets that much money needs to be a starter from day one, no question.

If we get a QB at #4 we need to show the rookie he is and will be the team leader. Confidence is a big part of being an NFL QB and Chad has lost his.

7. O'Brien7

O'Brien7 New Member

GO CHAD !!!
    :jets:

8. Section 227. Row 5

Section 227. Row 5 Active Member

A running back coming off back-to-back hip-replacement surgeries would show a lot of class if he wanted to remain a Jet too. Yes, Chad has class.

But back to business, shall we? Other than saying his rehab is going "great" and he expects to start throwing "fairly soon," Chad says nothing else about what he feels he'll be capable of contributing. Nothing. Ninety percent of what comes out of Penny's mouth (and most other interviews I've read lately) pertain to the negotiations and what he needs for his family, etc., etc. He respects Coach Mangini (what else is he going to say?) and wants to remain a Jet. Sure, I'd like to remain a Jet too if my agent were talking a GUARANTEED $4-5 million plus "incentives" to wave a few towels around on Sundays.

I'm not opposed to keeping Pennington. I'd like to have him here as a backup and mentor. And I'd like to do that for around $1 million or so... maybe $2 million tops. But just for the record, I consider anything over $1 million to be "good will" compensation or "hush money" and even "get over it" money. The other problem I have with paying him more than $1 million is, it sets a bad precident for all other future negotiations. If Martin needs a hip replacement, I suppose we can still pay him a hefty guaranteed salary and he can sit on the bench alongside Chad and compare how "classy" they both are.