Spencer Long

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by rinvesto, Oct 21, 2018.

1. TouchyFeely

TouchyFeely Well-Known Member

Gassing it. This oline is much better than last years. Shell looks like he can be a long term starter. Winter is pretty good as well. The entire left side of the line needs work, particularly C and LG. Beachum is average at best at LT and only getting older, needs to be replaced.

Harpua, FJF, mrjet80 and 4 others like this.
  2. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Once the left side of the OL is upgraded, then Shell and Winters can and should be upgraded as well imo.

3. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

I think he meant to say defensive lineman (non pass rushing kind)

4. NoodleArm

NoodleArm Well-Known Member

While he’s competent at all other aspects of playing center, Long can’t freaking snap the damn ball in shotgun. (Not sure that moving Darnold under center would help because then Long might just hand the ball off to no one.) Just have to ride this season out.

Seeing Long play really makes me miss players like Matt Slaussen, who was a guard that happened to be able to play center competently. It also makes me think that, in addition to drafting talent, and despite his age (33), the Jets should get a guy like Iuapati who can play both positions. In any event, hopefully the Jets can land a couple OL prospects so they can move Long to guard (if they keep him).

5. All Gas No Shake

All Gas No Shake Well-Known Member

6. LF911SC

LF911SC Well-Known Member

Hes snapping with a broken finger. Its why hes having issues with snaps. Sucks because other than that I thought he was playing well and really helped stabilize the line

ukjetsfan and NCJetsfan like this.
  7. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

While winters is getting older and is oft injured, I think Shell has progressed nicely as a RT. He's not a all pro but he is better than just a serviceable part. We really need to replace the left side of the line and center, but the guys on the right are good enough. The bigger thing is not only improving the starters but also adding functional depth. Right now we don't want to see any backups in the game because we know they are terrible. We've seen more then enough of them to know they are not an answer. This line needs a big influx of talent.

FJF likes this.
  8. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

Sure we know better but does the smartest guy in the room = Mac going to change his philosophy ? Im not betting on that

9. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

I remember a lot of positivity about his play early in the season. If he can get healed up then hopefully that positivity will return.

LF911SC likes this.
  10. twown

twown Well-Known Member

Same DarnOld Jets:

I want to give you begrudging credit for realizing you can’t spell “same” without sam or darnold without “old.”

Now let’s agree to bury this family secret the same we agreed not to tell abyzmul he was adopted.

All Gas No Shake likes this.
  11. Rollo Tomassi

Rollo Tomassi Well-Known Member

But his adoptive parents also adopted Charlie Kelly at the same time so they'd never be lonely as kids.

All Gas No Shake and twown like this.
  12. Rollo Tomassi

I think Shell will be one of those the RT starters for a decade that you never really notice because he quietly gets the job done. Very steady, consistent--not a superstar but he is WAY more than adequate and I'd rather upgrade every other position on that line.

I think Mac mad a great move trading a 5th to move up for the dude.

All Gas No Shake and Harpua like this.
  13. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I agree that depth is a higher priority than upgrading Winters and Shell, but I'm not certain they're good enough. They may be, but I don't think we'll know for certain until the C and left side of the OL are fixed.

14. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

I agree about Being steady but not a superstar. T was a very good move to trade up for him. He’s not elite but good enough to win with. I feel the same about Winters when healthy, which is always a big If with him. They are guys you can win with and build off of. Not elite but not terrible.

I guess I’m being pragmatic about it. Replacing even three lineman in a single offseason is unlikely. Beecham is decent, but left tackle is not where you want decent, carp is near the end, and Long has not been very good for us. All three of those areas I see as much bigger needs than the right side.

15. Rollo Tomassi

Yup. Yeah you can't expect to have 5 Pro Bowlers on the line. Consistent adequacy is fine for RT if the rest of the line is improved.

Harpua likes this.
  16. JdotGriff

JdotGriff Well-Known Member

He was snapping like shit before the broken finger. The finger has just made it even worse. Long should not be playing center for us he was naturally a guard and I'm pretty sure only has a season before us under center.
    They need to swap Winters with Long and our Oline would look a lot better than currently.

17. JetsfanHBca

JetsfanHBca Active Member

Who is starting in longs place. Harrison or Dozier? The idea that we just plug winters in a center is flawed logic. We tried that in 05 and he wasn't very good. Not every O-lineman can play center, it takes a unique skill set. I remember a Winters scouting report from college saying. He will be drafted to play right guard but could stop gap at any position on the OL except center.

18. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

He's had the finger for a while now. It showed on the injury reports two, three weeks ago I believe. I didn't notice the snap issue earlier on but I might be mistaken. Whatever tho, It obviously is vital that Sam isn't distracted by that.

CotcheryFan likes this.
  19. JdotGriff

JdotGriff Well-Known Member

Ive been commenting on his snapping since week 2 the finger injury happened 3 weeks ago and it has definitely made it even worse. . His shotgun snapping is trash

20. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

Okay, definitely looked like he rushed a couple anyway. If they don't fix that there's no excuse.