Spartacus Blood and Sand

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by Mr Potato Fro, Feb 24, 2010.

1. ThunderbirdJet

ThunderbirdJet New Member

Jeto, it started off pretty badly. It's worth another look, but it certainly isn't quality film making. They had a story line that was pretty good, decent actors, but for some reason lost confidence that those two things could carry it. Enter the gratuitous nudity, sex and really silly CGI blood squirting all over the place.

Basically, I suffer through the stupidness, but can see at least some redemption in the more meaningfull aspects of film making that make it at least moderatately interesting. The acting is pretty good from at least several characters. Some others, not so much. The story line holds water.

I think the nudity, sex and CGI blood will actually hurt this effort, both from a pop culture standpoint and from critics. It's more distraction than anything else. Filler.

2. Chrisp22

Chrisp22 Active Member

After episode 6, the plot thickens. I can see this show going for a while.

3. Mr Potato Fro

Mr Potato Fro New Member

Lucy Lawless isn't Spartacus's wife.

The last two episodes of this show have got me hooked. I have a feeling some shits gonna go down next episode.

4. Scruggy

Scruggy Active Member

I just watched the first five.

AT first I thought all the excess and totally fake looking blood took away from the show, and almost led me to loose interest -- the acting is actually very good, and the ambiance of the scenes is strong. As the story progressed though, I noticed that that the voluminous amounts of blood were used a bit more stylistically rather than gratuitously -- specifically in some of the kill scenes in the arena.

Oh, and Lucy Lawless looks sooooo good! I think the actor who plays her husband, the owner of the gladiator school is doing an excellent job.

I'm really hooked. I'm glad to hear they're doing another season, but I think the guy who is playing Spartacus is going to get some major Hollywood roles. He's got "The Goods"

5. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

^ John Hannah was from the Mummy trilogy and is a damn good actor.

At times, he's carried the show. Smart move bringing him in.

6. ThunderbirdJet

ThunderbirdJet New Member

duh....:eek:hmy:

7. Mr Potato Fro

Mr Potato Fro New Member

He was in a movie called "Gabriel". Pretty much "Legion" without the suck. Rent it if you get a chance.

8. macbk

macbk Well-Known Member

Episodes 8 & 9 leaked online, but I think I'm going to wait for them to air on t.v. I could bet it's much more enjoyable on t.v. then it is from a website.

9. l3ol3o

l3ol3o New Member

10. macbk

macbk Well-Known Member

11. Mr Potato Fro

Mr Potato Fro New Member

Episode 7 wasn't as good as 5 or 6 but i'm still hooked on this show. Although i did enjoy the part where he threw that dude off the cliff.

I'm telling you guys icefilms.com
    Every movie and tv show they have is in great divx quality. Best site on the net for movies and tv shows, and it's not even close. They are down for ugrades right now, but you shoud really check it out when it comes back up.

12. macbk

macbk Well-Known Member

Mr Potato Fro, do you know when the site is do back up? I'm curious to check it out.

13. Scruggy

Scruggy Active Member

The end of Number 8 was downright BRUTAL!

I think that with all the modern music they use in the fight scenes, that gladitorial fighting is FUCKING METAL! See, it's not just about the Norse -- the Gladiators were metal too.

14. TommyGreen

TommyGreen Trolls

I miss the HBO series Rome.

How would this series compare? Debating whether or not I should buy the DVDs, or bother downloading past episodes.

15. Scruggy

Scruggy Active Member

I recommend it. I was pretty skeptical at first -- lots of fake blood. If you like Rome, I think you'll like Spartacus. The acting, IMO, is on par with Rome -- and it DEFINITELY moves a lot faster. Watch it online -- I think at least the first 2 are available at Starz.com (or whatever their website is). Don't get too turned off by the overabundance of phony looking blood, the show is good.

16. Miamipuck

Miamipuck New Member

No offense but Rome was a way more complex show. Spartacus is nowhere close to being on par with Rome. That doesn't make it a bad show, quite the contrary.

However you are comparing a show that had probably 10 times the budget Spartacus had. Rome had more story lines more actors, better actors so on and so forth. Rome was one of the top 10 pay cable shows ever. Again I am not disparaging Spartacus because I really like it.

17. Miamipuck

Miamipuck New Member

BTW>............................

Just in from USA TODAY's Gary Strauss: Andy Whitfield, the brooding hero of Starz' steamy series, Spartacus: Blood and Sand, is undergoing chemotherapy treatment for non-Hodgkin lymphoma, the cable channel said Tuesday.

"I'm receiving excellent care, and am feeling strong, positive and determined with an army of support behind me," Whitfield, 35, said in a statement. The cancer was discovered in early stage during a routine checkup.

Second-season production, scheduled to begin in New Zealand April 26, has been delayed. Spartacus, noted for hits nudity, strong language and violent content, premiered on the premium cable channel in January.

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/entertainment/post/2010/03/spartacus-delayed-as-star-undergoes-cancer-treatment/1

18. macbk

macbk Well-Known Member

Damn, cancer at 35!? Really happy to see he is in good care, more for his sake, but also for the shows (for season 2).

Season 1 is, what, 12 episodes long?

19. macbk

macbk Well-Known Member

Ilithyia's gladiator is a punk. He got what he deserved by Crixus and company.

20. Mr Potato Fro

Mr Potato Fro New Member

Homeboy better get better. There needs to be more seasons of this show. Kinda hard to carry on when you have to write the title character out of the show.

Last weeks episode was good. Crixus is turning into a little bitch.