South Korea, the future of the United States.

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by Zach, Mar 10, 2017.

1. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I was stationed at Yongsan, went to a lot of restaurants in Itaewon and they were all basically the same. Ate at a lot of street tents that were actually better than the restaurants though.

The some of the restaurants in Seoul were pretty rad though.

2. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Kaegogi is more like once-a-year kind of a deal. I saw that dish consumed usually during hot season. Like Dog days.

And Yes. Bulgogi is much superior. So is beef Galbi. [That is ribs for ya.]

Didn't know you were stationed in Dragon hill. [Hailing from Cp. Bonifas.]

3. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

I was at Camp Colbern. 304th sig. About 1hr SW of Seoul. Still addicted to cheese egg ramen witha hotdog.

4. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Sounds fantastic.

That's the magic of Korean ramen. [Can't do that with Japanese one, for sure.] It goes well with nearly anything in the fridge. Egg, sausage, ham, cheese - you name it. [LOL]

P.S. Looks like we've got quite a bunch of vets on this board? [Glad to know you served in the neighborhood as well.]

Cman68 likes this.
  5. Cman68

I was there during Tienanmen Square. Those were scary times my friend. Top was a Vietnam vet and he had our asses on alert must have been for several months. We had those Seoul University students screaming for reunification and jumping any GI's they could find by themselves. If memory serves, 2 SoKor soldiers were hacked to death in the DMZ while I was there too. Coldest place I've ever been in my life as I had no idea Diesel fuel turns to jelly! We used to live for MOP drills cause those suits were warm as hell!

Still partied our asses off when we came in from those field exercises. I Tae Won was quite the strip. I actually completed a Thunder Run down Hooker Hill before I left! :)

One of these days I'm gonna get my hands on a bottle of Soju and make some jungle juice for old times sake! Probably this upcoming Jet season... :)

#25 Cman68, Mar 17, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2017
  6. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

You are VERY old, sir. Very old. [LOL]

DMZ was pretty fucking cold - I could see my own breath coming out of my mouth in May one time or another. It was pretty disgusting up there. After 5 mile run in the morning, the whole platoon could be [smoking]. I shit you not. I didn't know human body was capable of smoking till I got there.

And yeah. Speaking of soju - we had this brutal hill on the road march/5 mile run route. We'd call it SOJU hill. You literally need a bottle of soju in your canteen - and it will get you by the hill by the time you get there. [I learned I could pack soju in my canteen AFTER I got there. Good old times. Hah!]

Cman68 likes this.
  7. abyzmul

Yeah, my first week there me and a couple of guys in my unit were winding it down from the bars and waiting for a kimchi cab to roll by in Itaewon to take us back to the main gate, and I saw this little dog tied to a doorhandle outside a shop all by itself. I went over and gave it a few pets and saw these Koreans inside looking at me funny.

My buddy strolls over and says "dude, don't pet that dog. That's the breed they use for food."
    --

Man I loved Yongsan, I was in the Air Force, stationed there on a joint intel assignment, we had it pretty good there.

Kind of felt sorry for the army guys doing PT every morning while I was standing at the bus stop drinking my coffee.

8. Cman68

60 is the new 50 you young whippersnapper! Now get off my lawn!!! :)

9. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Yep. I would have been one of that "poor army guys" if I did my PT run down south.

I went down to Yongsan about twice - for my first issue of items, and return of the said items. [Yes. I ETSed after that. It was fantastic stuff - the entire compound was on alert and I was chilling. "I cleared. Do what you gotta do. I ain't doin' nuthin." Hahaha]

Yes, sir. Whatever you say. :)

10. abyzmul

We had different acronyms than you guys, I have no idea what ETS means, but I'm guessing it's similar to our PCS (permanent change of station).

11. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Ah!

Yes. It's same thing. ETS stands for "expiration - terms of service."