Sooo... Who's walkin the plank??

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Cman68, Feb 14, 2017.

1. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Technically he would be making $6M with $690k from his new team and $5.31M from the Jets, but yeah - I agree with you on this one.

I think he only signs somewhere else if he gets a chunk of cash on top of what is already coming to him. The problem is that the whole chunk has to come from the other team before he actually makes much out of the deal. If they give him $6M+ the Jets are off the hook and if they give him any less, well that doesn't get added on to the $6M the Jets are paying him. It just means the Jets are paying less, with the offset equaling the amount his new team pays.

It's possible that some team will decide to offer him a face-saving bump to get him to come in so they can look at him in camp but I'd be really surprised if there are any guarantees in the bump. That team is going to want the option of cutting Revis in camp and not being on the hook for any of the $6M guarantee the Jets owe him this year.

Belichik is certainly unlikely to be his savior at this point because Revis is exactly the kind of player that Belichik aggressively disentangles from after 30.

NYJetsO12, twown and Red Menace like this.
  2. twown

twown Well-Known Member

"Aggressively disentangles" is a very elegant turn of phrase, Br4d. Is that allowed here?

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  3. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

He should realistically fetched at least $4 million or more on a short contract. One or maybe a 2 year deal. If he gets $6 we owe him nothing. Too bad if he gets more he doesn't have to give it to the Jets. He owes us for last year lol.

Red Menace likes this.
  4. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Abruptly detaches from would have worked also. :)

5. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

I get you dislike him and I don't blame you, but clearly your hate for him skews your judgement. look at this article today

"
    Darrelle Revis might be willing to take pay cut

Feb
    2/26/2017 10:44:17 AM
    | More
    Interacting with fans on Instagram, Jets cornerback Darrelle Revis all but confirmed he's willing to take a pay cut to stay with the Jets, saying he doesn't deserve to be one of the 10 highest-paid cornerbacks, Rich Cimini of ESPN New York reports. That's stating the obvious, but it still amounted to a noteworthy comment, considering his career-long obsession with the bottom line.

The 10th-highest cornerback salary for 2017 is $8.5 million -- or $6.5 million less than what Revis is supposed to make. Based on that, you can assume he'd be willing to play for something in the $6 million to $8.5 million range.

That might sound like a bargain for a player of his stature, but the Jets have other factors to consider: age, declining skill and his legal issues. For the first time in their long relationship, the Jets have the leverage ... and they may not try to exercise it. He could be a goner, no matter how much of a discount he's willing to accept.
    "

revis is fully aware of what he deserves. i'm 100% for keeping him at 6 mil. we have too many holes to fill. If CB was our onyl issue and we had cap room then sure why not. but we don't have a proven QB, we don't have a starting CB either way, we released out LT, RT, and C so we need lineman. We can't fill all these holes in one offseason. creating another hole isn't going help.

6. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

what a crazy world we live in when someone willing to play a game for a mere $6-8m for a few months effort is seen as a bargain :)

7. TonyFtLaud

First, I don't hate Revis, he was once a great player for the Jets. He no longer is. In fact, he is not even a good player. He has no desire to play. He would not even attempt to tackle anyone last year, in the rare instance he was actually in position to do so.
    His being on the roster, will waste a roster spot. We are rebuilding, better to let a young player get the game experience than Revis. At least we will see effort.
    Second, you refuse to see the flaw in your logic. If Revis stays, he will cost the Jets a minimum of $6 million, up to $8.5 . If released he will not cost the full $6 million. He will get a chance to play someplace and any salary he makes is deducted from the $6 million so it would actually be closer to$2 million or as little as $0.
    Every $ the team can save is precious , especially since we are rebuilding.
    You said yourself he is not a starting CB but want to keep him as a number 1 corner and pay him as if he were the 10th or 11th best in the league. His decline started to show in 2015 against weak opponents. Last year he didn't even grade out in the top 50 corners. The bottom line is that, although you claimed Mac has shown we are in a reload to complete now position. We are in full rebuild. The earliest we should be expecting to be competitive is 2019. If a player is not performing, is a distraction and can not be expected in any way to complete now or in 2019 , they should not be on the roster.
    Mangold hurts because he was a Jet, a team first player. Revis getting cut doesn't sting since he was always me first. Hold out after holdout. Now he is trying to play humble in the court of public opinion, but I'm willing to bet behind the scenes. He is trying to get every penny he can. Just as I predicted he requested his court case be postponed past the March 9 deadline to force the Jets position and hope he could get the $2 million bonus.
    I could easily say, your love for Revis, skews your judgement.

NCJetsfan, grkmanga31 and Red Menace like this.
  8. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

A pay cut from him is like getting ice in the winter

dump this guy already

Jets69 likes this.
  9. GasedAndConfused

I haven't read anything that said we can recoup the 6 mil but I'm open if you have any links to it. Revis will fetch 6 mil easily on the open market so if we don't have to pay him anything then I'm fine cutting him. My only point was paying 6 mil to someone and not having them on the roster is no good for your team. and we are already paying fitz 5 mil the season as well. Thats 11 mil this year on 2 players not on the team if we cut revis. 11 mil with 0 return. That's more money then the steelers are paying for bell under the franchise tag and he's possibly the best RB in the NFL

10. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

Tony, I agree with your post except the court case, The court case being postponed has nothing to do with Revis scheming, the legal system is so backed up with cases that they normally push cases back, the prosecutor who was assigned to the case probably has not had a chance to read the file and is in the middle of finishing up other cases.

It's law 101, even Revis attorney needs time to read the file and start game planning for an end result that will be in his clients best interest, no one can do that in a month.

It just looks like it was planned but I guarantee you it was just a coincidence.

#130 Red Menace, Feb 28, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2017
    FJF and TwoHeadedMonster like this.
  11. GasedAndConfused

Another big thing, before the jets couldn't cut revis before the 9th because our cap situation, with all the moves made, we can cut him any time now of they choose to do so

12. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

I would not keep Revis even on a paycut at this point. I did not see the effort last year. There's a difference between not being a good football player and not caring, Revis did not look like he cared last season and that is troubling. Cut your losses and move forward

13. SOJAZ

SOJAZ Well-Known Member

Just cut bait and move on ...we need to go with youth movement.

Jets69 likes this.
  14. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

His contract has offset language so any part of $6m another team would pay comes off what the Jets owe him.

Don't see anyway he is not released before the 9th or at latest the 11th when his roster bonus is due, they want him to have all the time possible on the FA market

TonyFtLaud likes this.
  15. TonyFtLaud

Actually the cuts made have no impact on the salary cap for 2016. If a player has a signing bonus, the money is spread over several years. If cut, that money accelerates to the season they are cut. Revis is due $333,333. There was room to cut him , prior to other cuts. I'm not sure if any player cut had money due that accelerated and ate the $600,000 we had left from 2016.

16. GasedAndConfused

if true that would be helpful (not saying your lying but just haven't seen anything myself that says so)
    but he could pull a dick move on us and say if we release him he'll retire. then we are on the hook for the 6 mil

17. TonyFtLaud

I agree with you, but this is a pretrial hearing that Revis' attorney requested be postponed. His actual trial won't likely start for several months.

Red Menace likes this.
  18. GasedAndConfused

No there wasn't. The rule requires teams to be under the cap for the start of free agency. The jets were 9 mil or so over the cap. before we cut folk, breno and mangold we didn't have enough room to cut revis. Proof here
    https://overthecap.com/thoughts-revis-contract-future/

"The Jets do not have enough cap room to cut Revis in 2016, which will technically run through the start of free agency. So unless they tweak his contract by paying him a bonus odds are he won’t be released until after free agency starts and the Jets will have to count his $15.3M cap hit up until the first day of free agency."

@The Waterboy
    same article here confirms what you say, so yeah we could cut him and seemingly only owe him a million or so or possible nothing so yes cutting revis does become a lot more attractive now, But i still believe we are better off cutting his salary to 6 mil and keeping him. Also apparently if he retires he makes nothing and we save all the cap room including the 6 mil so he can't play that card. Big mac did a great job structuring this deal

19. TonyFtLaud

He will most likely be released on March 9 the. There is a window between 4 pm when the 2016 league year ends and 1159 pm when the 2017 league year starts. That's the period cuts can be made with out impacting the 2016 cap and not triggering the 2017 roster bonus. If Revis is on the team at midnight March 10, he is due the $2 million bonus.

Red Menace likes this.
  20. TonyFtLaud

He could, but that would effectively end his career. He will look to cash in again after the 2017 season. He is all about the $ and I doubt he wants to end his career on such a low note.