Sooo... Who's walkin the plank??

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Cman68, Feb 14, 2017.

1. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

because as bad as revis played for us. he was still a better option then the people behind him. we don't' have any solid outside CBs. Skrine is good in the slot and the rest are just depth guys. we need to adjust our scheme IMO. revis is still a very smart player we need to move into a 4-3 and play more zone coverage. We don't have the CB talent anymore to man up bump and run every play like we did a few years ago. We have a good rush up front with wilk and williams. We don't have the 3-4OLBs to generate a rush either. we need to move into a zone blitz scheme. Bowles was running our defense like it was 2009 and we had stud CBs. Revis can be a highly productive player in the right scheme. He just isn't the #1 man lock down CB like he was years ago.

I agree you can't take past production into account but as our starting CBs aged (cro and revis) we never replaced them. Mcdougle was a bust, milliner was a bust, kyle williams was a bust. marcus williams and burris are depth guys. skrine is a slot CB. we don't have a 1 or 2 if w cut revis. We just need to scheme to our talent better. running the 3-4 and man defense is killing us.

and we didn't get conned. revis earned all the money he has gotten. he was the top CB in the NFL for like 5 years. He just isn't anymore, doesn't mean he can't contribute. Plus our safeties didn't play all that well. even sherman was getting burned this season. it's hard to play defense with the rules geared to offense and the star QBs out there. brady makes average WRs look like stars. No Cb was killing it this year and the top FA CBs seeking 15+ million a year aren't worth it

2. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

How can a contract be guaranteed if it is "voided?" That's my question, vided is not the same as terminated. In most law being voided would have the same affect as never having existed, hence no guarantees.

3. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

I agree with some of your points, especially the scheming part, but we will have to agree to disagree on the Revis being on the jets this season or being cut.

4. Jets_Grinch

Jets_Grinch Well-Known Member

Just asked a lawyer friend* and his explanation was that the contract would be worded similar to, "Any moneys being owed going forward from the time the contract is voided become obsolete. Any prior paid moneys will not be repayed to the original payee." For the Jets to recover any money paid before the date voided the wording would have to state something about reimbursing bonuses already paid. He also said that a lot of contracts in sports have similar clauses to allow teams to avoid cap hits for Aaron Hernandez type situations. Generally the teams will put forward something where they can get reimbursed and unless the player has a history of legal issues the agent gets it reworked to something similar to the above. So if they can void the contract before he is owed the $6 mil (they can't with the March 15th court date) they can save money. In this case they can keep him around and once convicted save any money going forward from the date he is or cut him, take the 6 mil hit and not risk further bonuses and pay to a player that most of us agree is declining.

*The friend is both an employment lawyer and a Fins fan so i respect his opinion this. I'm not asking some guy that fights speeding tickets all day.

#84 Jets_Grinch, Feb 21, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2017
    TonyFtLaud and HomeoftheJets like this.
  5. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

What are you not getting man??

Of Course we got conned

The same way Houston was conned by Ostweiler and a double con by Fitz

"Revis earned all the $ he has gotten" BS! Mevi$ should have been signed for half of the Contract he talked us into and even then it would have been too much imo

He peaked in 13--'14 ...Faked out stupid Woody and Mac in 15...then HUGH decline in skills for 16

Meanwhile the Jets take massive hits against the cap for this fool

6. Longsuffering88

Longsuffering88 Well-Known Member

I don't believe Revis was the best option. Did you see him try and play flag football all year?

I believe Bowles is a nut hugger pussy who always goes Veterans. No accountability, no earning playing time by performance. Two of the worst things that kill team chemistry.

Why pay so much for crap? I'd rather pay nothing for crap.

TonyFtLaud and NYJetsO12 like this.
  7. twown

twown Well-Known Member

Mmm... nut hugger pussy.

Sorry, what?

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  8. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

It's impossible to have a bigger hole than Revis was last year. You could probably pull someone off the street who had good speed, but has never played football before and he'd play better than Revis did last year. There's nothing to discuss or decide. Revis should go. He's a greedy bastard and his day is past. Good riddance.

Red Menace, NYJetsO12 and TonyFtLaud like this.
  9. Ralebird

Thanks. That makes sense.

10. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

The contract can't be voided untill his court case is complete and the NFL decides if he should be suspended. His guaranteed monies are due prior to when ever that suspension would happen. Therefore he must be paid .

11. Ralebird

While I think it's unlikely the team or league acts before his court case is more clear an article in the other thread says it's possible. Here's a pertinent quote:

"The deal (ed.- his contract with the Jets) states Revis could be in default of his contract -- and have all of his 2017 guaranteed pay wiped out -- if he is "fined or suspended by the NFL or Club for Conduct Detrimental" or "fined or suspended for violation of the NFL Personal Conduct Policy" or "engages in personal conduct reasonably judged by Club to adversely affect or reflect on Club."

There is nothing that requires anyone to wait until the criminal case has run its course to suspend him but that would certainly br subject to a further lawsuit. It's also not clear if a suspension would have the affect of voiding the contract. Did I miss something else that makes you believe the contract issues are much more cut and dried than what I've read?

12. NYJetsO12

Jets get 6 million back ...which is less than 10 per cent of his 5 year 70 million deal...Best case scenario

Reality: Jets will eat the 6 million: lawyer gets Revis off and he sues PItt police dept for False Arrest and wins 6 million dollar case (this could happen per latest reports of trumped up charges)...Mevi$ grosses 12 mill off the 2 deals

Revis demands Public Apology ,,,,Jets feel sorry for him ...Gains The NYJ Ring of Honor...everybody happy

#92 NYJetsO12, Feb 22, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2017
  13. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

#alternativeEarth

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  14. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

I can't think of a legitimate argument that Revis should be a Jet in the 2017 season. His contract is absurd for his production, the criminal problems that have just risen, and quite honestly, the stench of excuses and a terrible season, equals a no go. Now, is he probably the best CB on the Jets roster, probably....which is beyond sad, but I also think this draft has a pretty good amount of CB talent. Perhaps Macc can trade Sheldon Richardson for a pick or 2 so we can actually address the gaping holes on this roster.

In terms of CB I think Darryl Roberts and Juston Burris are the most intriguing. I don't trust Marcus Williams

Red Menace and NCJetsfan like this.
  15. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

appreciate your opinion as well. So just one question If revis was to lower his salary to 6 mil (the guaranteed amount he gets even if we cut him) you wouldn't want him here at 0 net cost?
    talked us into? I think you give revis too much credit. he came off a season where he was a top 5 CB in the league, won a SB ring, and was a highly sought after free agent in a position of high need in the NFL. He got paid market value. If we didn't give him that deal, another team would have.
    then why was anderson playing so much and why was petty given the rains over fitz? why did lee play more snaps then harris? why did we have 2 OLBs playing most of the snaps in their 1st and 2nd season? We have given young players a chance.
    it's easy to say as a pissed off fan but you know deep down that isn't true. even to be a crappy player in the NFL you have to be in the best .00001% of athletes.
    because of the cap hit and our salary cap situation. the best case for the jets is revis agrees to take a paycut to 6 mil this year. which means we pay him nothing extra then if we cut him. essentially he plays for free to our cap and for revis he still gets 6 mil.
    Trading richardson for a draft pick and then selecting a good CB would be ideal. but it's a longshot at best.

16. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

If Mac shits the bed in FA (signs a bunch of older, expensive FAs) and the draft, I'll be walking the plank and won't care if the whole damn ship sinks!

17. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

The Dutchman can't sink. You can't sink what's already been sunk mate..

HomeoftheJets and NYJetsO12 like this.
  18. NYJetsO12

AHAHAHAHAH

I wonder if the Browns have a Flying Double Dutchman!

HomeoftheJets and Cman68 like this.
  19. TonyFtLaud

If your talking about K’Waun Williams being the Corner Back we offered a contract to, he was in demand, had multiple offers. He has not had any drug issues , and had one suspension. That was for getting a second opinion from an independent doctor , when he felt that there was something wrong with his ankle ,which was a violation of team rules per the Brown's. He was suspended for two weeks then released. The bears picked him up but found he required surgery on that ankle during his physical. His grievance will be heard in the coming weeks and the most likely scenario is that the Browns will have to pay his salary for 2016 as well as pay for his surgery and rehab.
    As far as your case for keeping Rikers Island, I understand your position . However Revis has lost a step or two and is a shell of his former self. The decline started to show in 15 , and he became a liability last season. The Jets need to move on from him. I can't believe you want to pay him an additional $2 million over his guaranteed $6. The logic that you keep a player because he will leave dead money against the cap is flawed. Released he counts $ 6 million, minus any salary he makes from another team. Keeping him also wastes a roster spot. As far as being out of shape last season, I agree, he was. Being out drinking till 3 AM this off season is sure to improve his physical conditioning. Revis has lost his confidence, hence playing 10 yards off every reciever, lost his desire to play the game. He was never a speedster or one you would say was a great athlete. He was a tactician but his skills have eroded and it is one year past the time to say goodbye.

Red Menace and NCJetsfan like this.
  20. TonyFtLaud

That language above is an example of a general NFL contact and not specific to Revis' contact.
    The League generally waits for the court case to run it's course before suspensions are handed out. Any guaranteed money paid,or due, prior to the suspension is not voided. The team, (club) could suspended him. However the exact language contained in Revis contract only has one line that could pertain to this circumstance and it is so vague that it would not hold up in mediation , and the Jets would then be on the hook for his full $15,333,333 vs $6 million.

Red Menace likes this.