Sons of Anarchy' spinoff, Mayans M.C.

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by The Waterboy, Aug 18, 2018.

1. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

It's been almost 4 years but it is almost here. Mayans M.C. premieres Sept 4th
    [​IMG]

CBG likes this.
  2. phubbadaman

phubbadaman Well-Known Member

My wife and I just watched SOA a few months ago and it was pretty good, although not great. I recently read Kurt Suttor wanted to do a 4 part series, with SOA being 1, Mayans 2, a prequel of the original SOA 3rd and finally it would close with Jax's kids. That makes me very interested, although I'm not sure how many seasons in total that would be.

3. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

I'm probably gonna get killed for this, but am I the only one who thought that 'Sons of Anarchy' was terrible? I thought there was a thread on the show on here where I said something akin to what I'm about to say, but I couldn't find it. Never sat through a season, and I only caught half an episode here and there over the years because I was flipping channels and it was there. My SIL loved the show and never stopped raving about it, so the old man binge-watched every episode of every season to appease her (during the final season). So, I got subjected to it on occasion by default. Needless to say, sometimes I flat out laughed. And I'm a laugher, believe it. Don't get me started even by accident, especially in an inappropriate situation, because trust me, you'll regret it. Probably the only way to stop me is if you put a pillow over my face and try to suffocate me to death. It's just the way it is. Ask me how it went in St. Kevin's Cathedral in Flushing when my Daddy started snoring during a Eulogy.

So here's my review on 'Sons of Anarchy'. First off, Charlie Hunnam as Jackson trying to look badass in those white skip sneakers. Haha, what? Plus, he couldn't control his English accent to save his life, and English actors are often beyond excellent with that. My God, awful. Plus, storyline-wise, how was he born here, his parents have an American accent, and he doesn't? It was as if he wasn't even trying. And forget about Hunnam for a moment, his idiot son was a million times worse in the acting department if you can even imagine that. Even the little girl squinting into the sun in the Italian made flick 'The Last Man on Earth' starring Vincent Price yelling, "Daddy! Cut the cake!" was better (fun film, btw, but also a huge Vincent Price fan). Every time his idiot son opened his mouth or just stood there looking like he was on Thorazine, the shrieking would start. The old man would have to pause and rewind until the shrieking subsided. Problem was, I'd have to see that idiot kid all over again, and the shrieking would resume.

The only thing remotely decent about the show was that woman, forget her name, who got stabbed in the head. It saved me from stabbing myself in the head to put myself out of my own misery. You know if I say, "Can we please watch NASCAR?", even as a joke, it's pretty bad. Most of the acting in general was dreadful. Drea de Matteo, just kill me and get it over with. And then there was the music. They'd play songs as people were flash-backing about things, we're supposed to get drawn in watching the characters get lost in deep thought, and the songs would go on forever and ever and EVER. This show never had any gas let alone it completely running out of gas. Too bad it wasn't canceled after the first season. And, they didn't kill the show when the going was 'good'. And it was never good.

The Chinese. Scottish bikers. Ugh, it was puke-worthy stupid. The cherry on top was Jackson weaving on the road to kill himself and there wasn't even any exploding body parts as a payoff. Then, because of this idiot show, idiot people startred naming their idiot children Jackson or Jax and it became a trendy name. It was like the name Crystal going through the roof because of that idiot show 'Dynasty' and the name Fallon after I forget what idiot show that was at the moment. My final analysis on 'Sons of Anarchy': F- for drama, A+ for comedy, a show putting forth some serious issues was a victim of generally crappy acting.

4. phubbadaman

phubbadaman Well-Known Member

I'm going to go ahead and guess since you knew the entire plot, you sat through more than a season. I also take no offense, as I thought there were good chunks of the story that dragged, were overly complicated, or were just boring.

5. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

Waterboy thanks for the headsup ,,,,I was wondering when this was going to air

6. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

Actually no as to sitting through more than a season. I'd say at the end of the day 20 episodes tops out of 100 or so? I guess adding them up to let's say 3 - 4 eps per season that the old man was binging at the insistence of his sister adds up to a "season" - season and a half? - if you want to get technical about it.

As I said, I sorta got forced into what I did see, mostly because it's not fair to hog TV choices all the time if you're not into something. I can see why people liked it, I guess, I just thought it was laughably bad and I explained why. I think if they didn't milk if for everything it was worth it wouldn't have devolved into making me laugh - as much - but who is to say. All shows no matter how brilliant have flaws or minor plot holes (see 'Breaking Bad'), but sometimes writers and creators have to know when to pull the plug. Who knows, maybe this will be better than 'Sons'. To each their own, enjoy.