Someone has to explain passing on Dalvin Cook to me

Discussion in 'Draft' started by JethroTull, Apr 29, 2017.

1. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I would also add that he supposedly hangs around with gang bangers, and he shouldn't have even been drafted. This is a pattern of bad behavior and reflects bad character.

2. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

PR nightmare my ass. The minute Dalvin Cook broke off a 50 yards TD run, no one would give a sh!t about his college rap sheet.

FJF likes this.
  3. NCJetsfan

Only low-lifes like you wouldn't care.

4. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

How'd that work out for Vick?

5. legler82

lol...why does this feel like displaced anger.

FJF and abyzmul like this.
  6. legler82

Don't think Vick and Cook is an apples to apples comparison.

7. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

I think the clear message with the first four picks is that Bowles thinks our receivers and secondary (with the possible exception of Enuwa) were a bunch of pussies that can't tackle or fight for yards after the catch.

All four picks were tough players with little or no baggage.

ajax, wampa, All Gas No Shake and 4 others like this.
  8. rsc1589

rsc1589 Active Member

Cook is a thug and has fumbling problems. That's all.

9. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Don't forget those injured shoulders, 3 ops already suggests he is unlikely to be around for a long career in the NFL can you imagine the uproar if he got done in week 1 and missed the rest of the season.

BamaDoc and ColoradoContrails like this.
  10. RubenDias

RubenDias Well-Known Member

i will be honest i didnt like the marcus maye pick because of adams but as to talent wise if you gonna take a chance on a RB with baggage i rather have mixon . He was the best player talente wise on the board for sure when we picked. Cook woudnt be a bad pick but his shoulder and fumbles not to mention is off the field scare me a bit . Joe mixon will be a great pro regardless of what happened he paid his dues and was honest bout what he did at 18 years old .

James Hasty likes this.
  11. ColoradoContrails

Why not? Both in fact mistreated dogs, among other similarities.

GreenWhiteandGold likes this.
  12. ColoradoContrails

You might be right, but Macc wasn't going to take him anyway. As much as I wanted to upgrade the offense with an elite skill player, at 39, there wasn't really anyone left once you subtract Cook and MIxon, and I'm okay with not taking players with that kind of off field baggage. I would've preferred taking more help for the offense - an above average RB, TE, OL - or the best pass rusher on the board.

13. GreenGreek

GreenGreek Well-Known Member

RB doesn't make sense now. They have a short shelf life & we're starting a multi-year rebuild. Forte & BP are fine for at least this year. A highly drafted RB has to be the last piece of an offense's puzzle.

BamaDoc and richieC like this.
  14. Ozymandias

Ozymandias Well-Known Member

Correct. Gilchrist, Pryor couldn't tackle and in some cases were completely lost in coverage.

wampa likes this.
  15. NCJetsfan

I disagree. IMO it makes plenty of sense. Yes, some RBs do have a short shelf life, but others last 8-10 years. I totally disagree that Forté and Powell are fine. Forté is 30 or 31 and doesn't have much tread left. He's not even as fast as Powell, doesn't have much power, and is at the age where he's more injury prone. Powell is 28 and showed in 2014 that he would wear down with too many touches. Neither is a workhorse-type RB, and neither is a power runner.

I didn't think that the Jets needed to add a RB in the first two rounds, but I did think that they needed to add one somewhere between the 3rd and 5th round. I'm glad they did, although the kid from Louisiana (I forget his name) is what I think they really need. He could help, especially as a return man, and receiver, but has no power, either.

I guess the Jets plan to just punt or attempt a FG on 3rd and short downs this season, as they have no power back to try to get the first down or score in the red zone.

16. ColoradoContrails

I think the 3rd pick should've been a RB - Hunt from Toledo or Foreman from Texas - neither were my favorites, but would've been upgrades and good insurance, and of more value than a WR,

17. richieC

richieC Active Member

The power back you want can imo be easily gotten. Once teams make cuts for final 53....Mac will get us the Short yardage back you want.
    1st year of multi year rebuild......running back is low priority.

JetsfanHBca likes this.
  18. NCJetsfan

I hope you're right about getting that short yardage back following camp cuts.

In a normal situation, a RB may be a low priority in a multi-year rebuild, but not imo when you're planning on starting a QB with little or no experience (Petty or Hack). IMO in that situation one should do everything possible to take pressure off of him and help that player succeed and build confidence.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  19. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

In simplest terms, when the new york jets were on the clock and cook was available the new york jets chose another elgible player.
    Hope that helps.

JetsfanHBca and Attackett like this.