Some players that the coaching staff might bring in

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BudJet, Jan 24, 2019.

1. BudJet

BudJet Well-Known Member

https://www.sny.tv/jets/news/which-...hes-look-to-bring-in-this-offseason/303086102
    Edge defender Robert Quinn, Miami
    The 28-year old Quinn was the Dolphins' highest paid player last season and is widely expected to be a cap casualty during the offseason. If he is, expect the Jets to show interest because he was one player who played hard down the stretch for head coach Adam Gase. While he only ended up with 6.5 sacks, 5.5 of those came in the final seven games. Earlier in the year, Gase jumped to Quinn's defense, saying creating pressure was more important to the way the Dolphins were playing than recording sacks.

Quinn also has a link to new defensive coordinator Gregg Williams, as he played three years with Williams as his defensive coordinator with the Rams. In 2014, Quinn went to the Pro Bowl up with 10.5 sacks despite another slow start. The Jets certainly have a need for an edge defender, and Quinn would provide an immediate upgrade at the right price.
    Wide receiver Albert Wilson, Miami
    As Gase's tenure wound down in Miami, several offensive players expressed frustration with their roles. However, Wilson was firmly in Gase's corner, referring to him as a genius. The 26-year old was on his way to a career year before missing the second half of the season due to injury. Even so, his playmaking ability was a key feature of Miami's strong first half.

Wilson, who describes himself as one of the league's best receivers after the catch, is under contract for two more years, but his cap number for 2019 is over $9 million, so perhaps the Dolphins could be persuaded to part with him for a draft pick. On the Jets offense, his ability to produce on short passes could free up Quincy Enunwa to play a more versatile role.

Center Matt Paradis, Denver
    The 28-year old Paradis is regarded as one of the top pending free-agent offensive linemen, although the Broncos have expressed a desire to try and retain him. If he shakes loose, the Jets should pounce after center Spencer Long suffered through an injury-plagued 2018 campaign. Paradis started nine games in his rookie season in Denver with Gase as his offensive coordinator.

Guard Ronald Leary, Denver
    Leary is two years into a four-year, $36 million deal and has a cap number of over $9 million in 2019. If the Broncos opt to make him a cap casualty, he should interest the Jets, having played so well for new offensive line coach Frank Pollack in Dallas.

Leary is still only 29 and has been a solid performer in Denver, but each of his first two years with the team has ended with him on injured reserve. They'll presumably be weighing up how effectively they could spend the cap saving if they release him.
    Guard Jonathan Cooper, Washington
    Cooper is another 29-year-old lineman who could be a target to provide some veteran depth. The former top-10 pick has had a disappointing injury-plagued career, but had probably his best season under Pollack in 2017.

Last season, Cooper signed with the 49ers but didn't make the team and was released in final cuts. He later signed with Washington, who was in the middle of an injury crisis at the time, only to once again end up on injured reserve himself. He's a free agent and shouldn't command much, if any, guaranteed money at this stage of his career.
    Defensive back LaMarcus Joyner, LA Rams
    The 28-year old Joyner is another player who played for Williams with the Rams. He's a pending free agent who played under the franchise tag in 2018 and could be a surprise big-money target.

The Jets already have Jamal Adams and Marcus Maye at safety, but perhaps will be tempted to bring in some quality depth at the position after Maye spent most of last year hurt. Furthermore, Joyner's ability to cover slot receivers could mean that the Jets would be able to run a lot of sub-packages with all three in the game at once.

Defensive back Briean Boddy-Calhoun, Cleveland
    Williams spent the last few years with the Browns, but they don't have many key defensive free agents. However, the 26-year old Boddy-Calhoun is a restricted free agent. If the Browns opt not to tender him at a second-round level, then the Jets could make him a target. Boddy-Calhoun has done a good job as a slot cornerback with the Browns over the past few years and can also fill in at safety.

almbleamal, Jets81 and Harpua like this.
  2. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

Mentioned before I think Albert Wilson worth a mid round draft pick.

Don't know much about the Cleveland nickel back but if G Williams wanted him that'd be good enough for me.

3. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

I would absolutely trade a mid round pick for Wilson, but do we incur the whole $9 mil or does Miami eat some of that because of bonuses? I also don't think the Dolphins would trade their best playmaking receiver at all, let alone within the division, so this is probably a moot point.

4. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

If we don’t sign a wr I would do a draft day trade for Wilson.
    Quinn could end up being the best edge rusher available after tags and extensions are handed out before free agency starts

boozer32 likes this.
  5. AJT73

AJT73 Well-Known Member

This list is an intersting one. Quinn is a nice piece. At 28 he'd be more of a pass rushing end to me. At the right price I'd add him especially knowing we are going to a 4-3. If he comes to the Jets that's another positive in the Gase column. Since he played for him. I think the Jets will be interested but he'll be a secondary type guy for the right price.

Albert Wilson will only be signed if the Dolphins release him. I don't think he'll be traded. Before getting injured Wilson played great for Gase. He even blamed himself for them not being better. I think Gase game planned for Wilson and he benefitted. If he is released I wouldn't be shocked if we signed him. He's quick, 26, special teamer would be a nice addition. If released I can see him coming here.

Paradis I think will be a top priority for the Jets. They'll let Carpenter walk, slide Long to guard and have Paradis play center. I think he'll be a day one priority for the the Jets. He'll help secure the line and Long played better at guard.

Leary and Cooper will only be signed at the right price. Quinn will have a little more priority than them. Leary if he is released will still want to start so the Jets might be a hard sell. Cooper I can see coming here a the right price and knowing he played well under Pollack. He'd be a good backup for us. Good swing guard.

LaMarcus Joyner in my opinion will be too expensive. I don't think it'll happen unless he can be a slot corner but with Adams and Maye we'll pass.

Boddy-Calhoun. I don't know much about him. Sounds like a slot corner. The Jets will need two. Maybe we resign Clairborne again. As a number two corner he isn't great but gets the job done. Skrine will not be back. If Greg Williams wants this guy and he can take Skrine's position that's a good signing. Wonder if Parry Nickerson gets a shot at slot corner or if he is a fill in player who plays special teams.

March 13th can't get here quick enough. Can't wait to see what this team looks like and how we spend out money.

6. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Quinn and Paradis would be huge to start the off-season. I would love Quinn on the Jets, he had a great game against Shell. I doubt the Jets get any of the big time pass rushing FAs (Lawrence, Clowney, Ford). So Quinn paired up with a young pass-rusher via the draft would be great.

I wonder if the Jets will part ways with Carpenter and Long? I think Long was decent at guard last year, Carpenter had a down year but it really depends on the blocking scheme.

Peebag, Yankjetfan and Harpua like this.
  7. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

Carpenter is a UFA so its not a matter of parting with him as much as do we resign him and if so at what cost? He's been up and down for us and has a injury history. Long should be an easy cut. He was flat out terrible last year. Even Winters has no dead money attached but I would bring him back before the other two.

Quinn is a nice option for us, and I think we need to thorw a blank check at Paradis and pray he takes it. Seeing as the big name edge players rarely don't make it to UFA Paradis would be my number 1 hope for this off season.

Red Menace and 101GangGreen101 like this.
  8. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Oh sheesh, I didn't know he was a UFA, thought he had another year. Thanks for clarifying that. Well he's not coming back then. Long has no dead money left in his contract and the 6M or so is just too much money for below-average to average play (he was average at G). It's a business.

Paradis is my top FA signing as well, Jets need him desperately. I don't think there's another C out there that will be good on the open market. Also get Quinn. Proven production and a good veteran for a young EDGE.

Harpua likes this.
  9. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Not a bad Post Bud..but dont you think some of these guys mentioned are a little old? Most of them 28/29 so I would stay away. More intrigued with the 26 yr olds : A Wilson WR and Calhoun CB

10. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

The 26 year olds are not UFAs. If a 26 yo hits the market they are likely not much of an impact player. The reason the best FAs are in the 28 to 30 range is they have a few good years left but teams a worried about paying a player who may fall off, or they have done so well he has priced himself out of the teams cap.

You plug holes in free agency, you build a roster through the draft. none of the guys we sign this summer will be long term answers, your just trying to go into the draft with as few true needs as possible.

11. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

This post should be required reading for everyone before free agency starts.

12. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

I kinda sure I post something like this 3 or 4 times a year right around now lol.

FJF likes this.
  13. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

It should be stickied.

FA is about plugging holes in the roster for the present, the Draft is about obtaining talent for the future.

Simple concept, but somehow always gets brushed aside as people start projecting mid round picks to fill needs and start day 1.

Jets69, Mogriffjr and FJF like this.
  14. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

Can't see Miami releasing Williams. He is possibly the only receiver on their roster they will retain.
    Also don't see the Browns letting Calhoun walk. He's beat out some quality players in Cleveland , played very well, I'm sure both Dorsey and Kitchens will want him back.
    Paridis should absolutely be a day 1 priority.
    Quinn scares me from an injury standpoint.The back, shoulder and especially the brain issues. If the Jets do sign him, I hope they are very thorough in evaluating his condition.

15. AJT73

AJT73 Well-Known Member

Wow I didn't know about the tumor. That is crazy. Just read this article. https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/nfl/miami-dolphins/article207904049.html

Definitely have to check that health is good. If so for the right price he could be productive for us.

16. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

17. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

26 yr old's not impact players?? Really? Look at 2018 FA:

Avery Wiliamson LB 26 signed by Jets not an impact player?

D Lawrence 26 DE signed by Cowboys

A Norwell 26 G signed by Jags

J Garrapolo QB 26 SF

J Landry WR 25 Miami

S Watkins WR 25 Chiefs

and just for laughs Robey -Coleman CB Rams 26 (tell me last weekend wasn't impactful.?? ahahahah)

Not saying there are good players who are couple of years older but with young there's more bang for your buck... that's all

18. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

Not sure you understand at all the point I was making. You seem to really over value all these guys badly or miss the fact that they have never been a UFA.

Lawerence was DRAFTED by the cowboys and has not yet hit the UFA market, if he does, its because he will have priced himself out of their cap room. His number last year was 17 mill.

Norwell is an ok guard, not great.

Garrapolo was traded for not signed as a UFA.

Landry is a good possession receiver, not a great game breaking guy by any means, not someone you have to game plan for, and many argued he was well over paid at 15 mill.

Watkins is on his 3rd team in 3 years, has one 1,000 yard receiving season that was 3 years ago, not exactly a great player there.

Coleman is a decent nickle corner and not much else, he's a better Buster Skrine and thats about it, if those are the types of guys you want to build around, good luck.

19. Ozymandias

Ozymandias Well-Known Member

Let's stay away from Rams DBs.

boozer32 likes this.
  20. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

If there is one thing I learned is how crucial it is to have sufficient back ups for the OL. For that reason, I don't think they will let Long go. He will in all likelihood be moved to Guard permanently and if outplayed in preseason be a strong back up in both positions.

#20 LAJet, Jan 25, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2019
    Harpua and 101GangGreen101 like this.