So what's the plan at QB?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Hugogo, Sep 23, 2014.

1. 1968jetsfan

1968jetsfan Well-Known Member

My philosophy is until you have an established franchise QB you draft every year somewhere in the 2nd to 4th round and you keep the competition flowing until you find your franchise guy, MAKE someone win the franchise QB and not throw your hat on the rack with 1 QB and hope he works out.
    That said, it's nowhere near panic time with Geno, first 3 years are growing years for a QB....

2. pdxdrew

pdxdrew Well-Known Member

I live in Oregon and have seen Mannion dozens of times and he is a good college QB. But he's only as great as the talent around him. Last year he had Brandin Knight to throw too.

3. irishwhip03

irishwhip03 Well-Known Member

I dont love the kids game but in the projected 3rd round he has value. Much more than MM, who to me has bust written all over him..and Winston, if he comes out.

Just not a deep class at all in next years class.

Would much rather trade for an AJ McCarron or Mike Glennon.

4. pdxdrew

I actually want every fan, reporter and idiot draft pundit to rip Marcus. 1. He's only 20
    and he's just learning how to be a vocal leader with his players and Oregon has dick behind
    him. We missed out on almost every single dual-threat QB we recruited this year and if Mariota
    leaves.... goodbye Rosebowl chances.

5. BleedGreen89

BleedGreen89 Well-Known Member

.......Mannion isnt half the QB Mariota is......

6. irishwhip03

They can rip him but its not gonna hurt his draft value much. With all the questions surrounding Winston its clear that Mariotta is gonna be the first guy drafted and in all likelyhood a top 5 pick.

7. irishwhip03

Was I comparing the two? Its obvious to everyone that they are in different classes as far as college QB's go. I just think Mariota is not going to be a great pro. And to take him in the top 5 would be a wasted pick. Mannion in the 3rd round would be a solid pick.

But like I said before its a weak class. If were looking for QB come next April its not gonna be a fun time in Jet-land.

8. TouchyFeely

TouchyFeely Well-Known Member

QBs to watch this year, of various degrees of skill and potential.

Mariota
    Winston
    Mannion
    Cook
    Grayson (rumor has it a lot of scouts like him)
    Petty (worth it to watch him, potential mid round pick, bust with good numbers)

9. BleedGreen89

Winston is a grease fire. Arrest waiting to happen. Two other Pac 12 guys no one is really talking about that could be very good are Kessler, not that we want another USC qb and Taylor Kelly from ASU. I especially like Kelly as a dark horse. Reminds me of a Big Ben. Senior,bigger guy that can move but doesnt scramble too much

#29 BleedGreen89, Sep 23, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2014
  10. BigSnacks54

BigSnacks54 Well-Known Member

Meh Taylor Kelly is a product of ASU's pread offense, dude has looked terrible when he goes up against real defenses such as Stanford. If Geno flames out we'll end up with Hundley, and go through another five years of mediocrity. Hundely's inconsistent with his mechanics and just isn't accurate.

And as for Maroita he hasn't looked good this year from what I've seen, but he's still the real deal. Excellent pocket presence, he's fast as hell, good footwork, and a quick compact release. He's like Colin Kaepernick, but is a much more polished passer and has better touch.

11. BleedGreen89

their line is in shambles right now...he really carried them this past week and against Mich St

12. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

I'll tell you guys what the plan is. I am going to kidnap Chad Pennington and give him new shoulders and arms like the dude from The Winter Solider Captain America 2 movie. You guys think it will work?

13. BigSnacks54

BigSnacks54 Well-Known Member

Mariota missed alot of throws against Michigan State, and was sub par until the third quarter. But as I stated before he's still a stud.

14. JetLifeLo

JetLifeLo Well-Known Member

We sign brian hoyer and another quality WR in free agency!

15. pdxdrew

Two other QB's I like are Conor Holliday and Kenny Hill, both come from great quarterback coaches, Mike Leech and Kevin Sumlin.
    Holliday is a reach and probably won't be drafted till the 5 to 6 rounds, Hill is still a sophomore. Kessler won't shine until that tool of a
    coach, Steve Sarkisian, leaves Los Angeles.

16. BleedGreen89

Halliday is the definition of a gunsligder and the product of a Leech offense that literally never runs the ball. Our fans would go insane if he was our QB

17. PennyRoyal10

PennyRoyal10 Well-Known Member

I don't think Rex gets the chance to coach another rookie QB for the Jets...

18. pdxdrew

You just described Sean Mannion.

19. BleedGreen89

It describes many college QBs. Geno was one of them

20. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

'Cept they're 3-0 and leading their division and we're 1-2 and last in ours.

Weird, huh?