So we got Sam! Mac looking line a genius. What next??

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BleedingGreen55, Apr 26, 2018.

1. 1968jetsfan

1968jetsfan Well-Known Member

I can't say for certain, no I can't. But neither can you. And in my book I'd rather have 3 2nd round picks and one of either Darnold or Josh Rosen, win win either way. And there's a fair chance both would still be on the board since Elway has been building the Bronco's primarily as a defensive run first team. So to say they would have taken Darnold is, to borrow your phrase, Talking out of your ass" because you have no idea either.

But in terms of value and the fact the Jets have a ton of holes I'd rather have worst case scenario Rosen and 2 2nd round picks this year than Darnold and no 2nd round picks this year or next.

But again, it's all hindsight.

2. 1968jetsfan

Pretty much. I would have just done a pre-draft agreement deal that either team could have backed out of on draft day rather than dump all the chips before the market set.

boozer32 likes this.
  3. 1968jetsfan

Well according to reports the Browns said No to trading their 4th pick, or at least were asking more than the Bills (the only team trying to trade in to the 6) and the Colts also said no to trading back to the Bills spot because they really wanted Quentin. The Bronco's and Bills had a pre-draft deal worked out but they nixed that deal when Chubb was still on the board (most people expected the Browns to take him at 4). so its unlikely the Bronco's would have traded back given the way the draft fell.

in short, the only variable I would have worried about would be maybe the Bronco's taking Darnold instead of Chubb, but I really think Elway would have taken Chubb, by far the BPA and 2nd best player in the draft. But even if they had taken Darnold the Jets still could have taken Rosen who in my book was essentially equal to Darnold...worst case Rosen and 2 2nd round picks this year and a 2nd next year is greater than Darnold and no 2nd round picks this year or next.

4. 1968jetsfan

You may want to educate yourself a little bit....because teams were focused elsewhere, the Colts weren't trading back past 7 because of who they wanted to draft, the Browns refused to trade back when the Bills inquired, as did the Bronco's.

so we know that the only team that might have taken Darnold might have been Denver....but I think they still stay put and take chubb,

5. Franchize

Franchize Well-Known Member

If we could somehow get Isaiah Oliver. CB isn't a position of great need but he's my favorite cb in the draft

6. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

Don't know where you are getting your information but the Bills were working the phones like crazy as soon as we picked Darnold trying to move up to 4 or 5. The Bills and Bronco's had nothing worked out pre draft or they would not have been negotiating while on the clock.

7. 1968jetsfan

Multiple sources said the Bills and Bronco's had a deal worked out prior to the draft depending on who was on the board at the time for the Broncos. Source in this case was a reliable Denver source https://www.milehighreport.com/2018...ized-with-the-bills-but-decided-to-pick-chubb and i suspect they would have gone Chubb regardless as he was arguably the best player in the draft other than Barkley. They might have taken Darnold, but that would have landed the Jets with Josh and kept their 2nd rounders in play.

The Browns shot down the Bills trade offer, as I've stated previously, they were asking for more than the Bills were willing to pay. and the Colts were unlikely to trade all the way back to 11 where they likely would have lost the guard they coveted (and wouldn't trade out of 6 to go to 11 for).
    The Bills were locked on to Josh Allan anyway, I read or heard nothing of an interest in Darnold with them.

IMHO the worst case scenario of Rosen +3 2nd round picks is greater than Darnold less 3 2nd round picks...especially considering the quality of players who fell to where the Jets were drafting.

It's all academic of course, I'm not bitching about taking Darnold, Just was a hindsight observation. Although, as I've stated in other threads I do have reservations about Darnold, few starts, USC QB, Lots of turnovers....loads of talent, but little experience and from a school not known for turning out QB's....quite the opposite.

That said, Darnold was my #2 in the draft, i have no objections to taking him and I will root fully for him with the same 2 year grace period I give all rookies.

Just a purely academic argument.

8. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

Nothing to do with the thread and not derailing, but I finally figured out why your new avatar was cracking me up. Fourth one from the left a/k/a second one from the right.

[​IMG]

Sam Hammer likes this.