So we got Sam! Mac looking line a genius. What next??

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BleedingGreen55, Apr 26, 2018.

1. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Thanks, LA. Rosen was my 2nd choice, but his injury history, lack of mobility and thin frame scared the crap out of me. I truly don't think he'll last in the NFL over 2-3 years. I really hope that I was wrong about Darnold. I don't hope that I was wrong about Mayfield, but hope that both Darnold and Mayfield will be the top two QBs of their generation.

2. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

He started 7 games as a rookie, went 4-12 and did pretty much what was expected, made mistakes as he started to get used to the speed of the game in the NFL.

His second year in the league he took off like he was shot out of a cannon, he passed for 4000 yards 28 TDs and 7 ints and led his team to the playoffs. He didn’t need 3 or 4 years to develope.

I believe that’s immediate when compared with how long some of these young guys need.

If Darnold starts 7 games this year and leads Jets to playoffs next year, I would consider that immediate from an NFL timeline.

;)

#122 Red Menace, Apr 27, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2018
  3. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

The NFL has now transitioned from a league where highly drafted QBs were ground up like sausage in a defense-dominated culture to a league where pretty much any competent passer will be a guaranteed 3000+ yds and 20+ tds.

Guys like Bortles, Goff, Case freaking Keenum? They would have disappeared quickly in the old NFL. This is a different NFL where you draft an asskicker under center and you move the needle.

I don't really like this NFL, but I like the Jets failing even less. They did a great job.

4. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Goff started 7 games last season but looked awful in the process and looked like a bust. IMO "immediate" means exactly that. He would have looked very good/great last year, not awful.

5. WayneG99

WayneG99 New Member

Goff also got a major coaching upgrade this year. Don't discount that.

6. FazeOne17

FazeOne17 Active Member

Rosens parents were figure skaters, and Darnolds grandfathers name was Dick Hammer aka Big Dick, and was the fuckin marlboro man, so we are already winning

stinkyB likes this.
  7. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

Anyone with a name like Dick Hammer, gets my respect

I cant wait to hear Joe and Evan on the radio today and Don LaGreca will have a heart attack rant because Gmen passed on Darnold

8. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

legler82 likes this.
  9. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

To be fair, Rosen threw a ton of picks as well. Rosen is more pro ready, but he has to learn how to give up on plays instead of getting crushed in the pocket. Darnold has great evasiveness and I think a lot of his highlight moments stem from when the pocket is collapsing and he's forced to evade.

Darnold needs to learn to not only calm down on the hero ball, but also needs to tighten up his mechanics.

I'm excited, but I gotta see what he does for us before going over the moon.

Also, in terms of passing on Rosen I think there's 2 factors
    1) Injury concerns
    2) Attitude

Darnold doesn't have those issues

10. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

The very little radio I heard today was basically just the Giants homer analysts whining about Barkley. Emotional drama queens, lol!

11. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Good shit right here.

12. chandler

chandler Well-Known Member

Awesome. But truth be told it does say a lot. Darnolds whole family seems to be athletically gifted

13. LF911SC

LF911SC Well-Known Member

Fixed

14. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

[​IMG]

grkmanga31 likes this.
  15. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

We can make that assessment right now. Rosen and Allen were available @6. Macc panicked. So there's that. Everyone knows we arent going anywhere with McCown starting.

16. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

They are gonna hold him back like a jockey throwing a horse race ay Yonkers racetrack.

17. wampa

wampa Well-Known Member

I don't think we rule out trading back up if one of the few premium players slips, but not at RB/WR. We are low on ammo, so it'd likely be as part of a players for picks deal. OL / Edge are preferred, but if someone is falling into the second half of the second round I can see putting together a package to get one of the few remaining more-premium guys in the class in those areas. Connor Williams, Will Hernandez, James Daniels, Harold Landry... I expect a lot of those guys to go early in the second, but if one or more falls, I can see us packaging our third and a fifth or something to snag them.

#137 wampa, Apr 27, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2018
    ColoradoContrails likes this.
  18. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

I genuinely believe that those three reasons are why Mac and Co. opted for Darnold over Rosen. It had nothing to do with politics and Woody being an ambassador for the Trump administration. Darnold has a thick frame and mobility like Big Ben, sure he has a weird throwing motion and inconsistent footwork but even with that he was still a 65% passer at USC. The Jets hit the nail on the head with this pick, they just need to emphasis ball security when in the pocket, that one hand on the ball BS won't fly in the NFL.

19. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

20. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

Love the confidence Darnold has. At first I was indifferent about the pick, but most of that could be chalked up to not doing any research on him since I didn't think he'd be there. Now I'm pumped and excited to see him play.