So the fire Idzik goons got their way... happy?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by jetfannerd, Jan 1, 2015.

1. TNJet

TNJet Well-Known Member

I didn't want Mevi$ back, but I also didn't trust Milliner either. We got a second chance after we screwed up getting a CB when Flowers was released, and Idzik blew that as well. Rex has no business being a HC with his clock mgmt. issues and the lack of discipline exhibited by the team in the form of penalties. He got 6 years and now it is time to move on. Idzik settled for partial control, and he got what he deserved because of his poor FA signings and draft picking. So now we move on.

Move on.

2. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

3. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

Do you really believe that Idzik did not talk to Woody about this. All major transactions go through the owner. I would like to hear Idzik's version of this story. And I heard the presser. Woody also said he didn't think he could work out a deal with Revis's agents.

4. FlaJet

FlaJet Well-Known Member

Especially since brady gave them extra cap money by renegotiating his contract..

5. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Your post is confusing. Are you really saying that Johnson had to approve all significant contracts but fired a guy for writing a contract he approved?

6. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Woodrow did not say that Idzik was fired because (whether only, primarily, or even as a major factor) he did not get Revis. Where does this nonsense come from???

Idzik got fired because the Jets were 4-12 and heading in the wrong direction. There are many reasons for that, and while signing Revis would have been a huge help, there were many other factors at work.

7. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

Exactly!

8. Ralebird

Idzik got fired because it was his job to buy the groceries and the pantry had big holes in it, the vegetables were rotting and the meat was rancid. His purse was loaded.

TNJet and NYJetsO12 like this.
  9. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

Getting back to Tannenbaum. All of those contracts had to be approved by Woody. Make no mistake about that. But they were his (Tanny's) idea. But Woody didn't have to sign off on them.

10. Ralebird

That's not how business works, even disfunctional business.

11. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

At the presser somebody asked Woody if any of this was his fault. And he seemed to be surprised by the question. Oh sure he took some nominal blame but basically brushed off the question. Idzik wasn't fired for not re-signing Revis. But Woody let him take the blame for it.

12. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

Boy are you wrong.

13. Ralebird

I'm sure I have a lot more and varied experience with businesses large, small, government, public and private than you'll ever have. We'll just have to agree to disagree.

14. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

There is no way that the owner doesn't sign off on big contracts and major trades. Sure it was Tannenbaum's idea but he knows exactly what's going on.

15. ajax

ajax Well-Known Member

Looking back, the biggest problem here is that Idzik & Rex were operating under different timelines. Idzik was in full rebuild mode by sitting on that salary space & being perfectly fine with young, unproven players all over the roster. Rex was coaching to win now because his job was on the line. Woody dropped the ball there because you can NOT have your GM & HC on different timelines when it comes to job security. If Rex is on the hot seat, then give Rex+Tanny one more season together and fire both of them. Don't do this mix, match shit because Idzik like any normal GM is thinking in the back of his mind that he'll get to select his own HC if Rex is fired. How can a HC & GM be under such different timelines while working together?

If Idzik had to look back, I think he'd say that he didn't realize Rex was coaching for both of them to survive this season. Otherwise he'd have spent a lot more cash even if it would cripple the team in the long run.

16. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

As for it being Idzik's fault that the cupboard was bare (it wasn't - and nobody thought before the season they were a 4 W team). He was in the middle of a short term plan something even Woody admitted. Part 1: regain fiscal solvency and out of cap hell-Accomplished. Part 2: re-sign your young star players and have cap space available to sign players including maybe a quarterback if one is available: partially done but not completed. Fired before job was done due to bad press and irrational fans.

The 1985er and ajax like this.
  17. Wahoo

Wahoo Well-Known Member

^^This is spot on. Rex should have been fired the day he stood at the podium and said "I've lost the locker room", basically saying that he could not fulfill the basic tenents of his job (try this - on Monday morning, go up to your boss and say "I can't fulfill the basic responsibilities of my job". Let me know what your boss' response is) . Since the team was in disarray and the personnel wasn't working out, the GM could have been sent packing as well. So because of Woody's infatuation with Rex's cult of personality and his failure to act decisively, we are at least 2 years behind where we should be, and starting from square one yet again.

18. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

Woody has always given the guys he hires the freedom to do there job,he's never gotten in the way of things in that manner .He isn't that kind of owner like a Daniel Synder ,Woody gets a bad rap but trust me we could do a lot worse

19. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

He has been involved in every major decision. He even went with Rex and Tanny for the interviews of Sanchez before he was drafted.

20. Unhappyjetsfan

Unhappyjetsfan Well-Known Member

This is a very astute observation.