So the fire Idzik goons got their way... happy?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by jetfannerd, Jan 1, 2015.

1. irishwhip03

irishwhip03 Well-Known Member

Firing Idzik was the only thing that justified Woody firing Rex.

To keep Idzik on to have him pick a coach would've set this franchise back 30 years.

2. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

They had to fire both. It's either they stuck it out with the both of them or they clean house. Lol at setting the franchise back 30 years.

3. Unhappyjetsfan

Unhappyjetsfan Well-Known Member

You make an interesting point. If I believed Idzik just made bad moves and was gearing up for 2015 for his big acquisitions ... I'd be pretty sympathetic and I'd probably wouldn't be upset if we let him have his third year. Alternatively, if he had made it clear that he was tanking the 2014 season and let everyone (media, fans, etc) know Rex was coming back next season no matter what our record was because the team was going to intentionally have no talent ... I would have understood that too (and would have advocated a third season). But I honestly believe this a-hole's plan was to tank the season, leave the team with no talent (so he'd have tons of cap room in 2015) and then use Rex as the scapegoat and blame the poor performance on him so he could hire whoever he wanted as HC. That's some sneaky lowdown shit so I'm glad his ass got booted out of NY by the fanbase against the owner's wishes.

FlaJet likes this.
  4. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Did you see the quotes from Casserly when he was hired to consult? He said that if you're not in the office you don't know how things went down. He's in a better position to know than we are but he doesn't make the assumptions so many here do. How about all the guys here who swore since spring that Woody Johnson refused to let anybody at the Jets negotiate a return by Revis? Turns out Woody would have done the deal.

You're right, "it doesn't take a genius to figure this stuff out."

5. The 1985er

Woody said back in October that he would bring back Rex despite having a losing season. We were told that 2014 was a rebuilding year. It's the reason why they had so many young guys in key roles. If you're attempting to win now then you don't go with as many young guys as we did. Woody fired everybody because he succumbed to media and fan pressure.

6. Unhappyjetsfan

There was no media and fan pressure to fire Rex, though. There was tons to fire Idzik, but the fanbase was/is pretty split on the Rex decision.

7. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Last Saturday on NFL Radio on Sirius XM a reporter said he was trying to confirm information that the Jets were considering leaving Ryan in place until a new GM was hired to see if the new guy wanted to work with him. Either his sources were mistaken or Jets brass changed their minds. I think I would have been willing to go that route particularly now that we see how thin the rank of replacements is.

8. Unhappyjetsfan

My guess is Rex delivered an ultimatum, knowing it would result in a firing. He wants in on some of these available jobs, and if he had to wait for a new GM to be hired (and then fire him), they would probably be filled and Rex would be out of the league.

9. The 1985er

They more than likely advised Woody to fire both. Which was the right choice.

10. GangGreenBlues

GangGreenBlues Well-Known Member

Not sure what any of that has to do with my point. You can reach some reasonable conclusions without knowing exactly what went down behind closed doors. When GMs are hired in the NFL, they lay out the plan to the owner. Since Idzik's plan was clearly to rebuild (which we can see based on his moves), and since it's highly unlikely that he would've told Woody one plan and then worked on implementing another, then it follows to reason that Woody knew of his rebuilding plan and signed off on it in terms of a high level plan.

11. FlaJet

FlaJet Well-Known Member

Idzick was a waste of 2 years. Getting rid of this fraud was the best and only thing we can say about this wasted season.

NYJetsO12 and TNJet like this.
  12. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

Did you even listen to the interview?its a pathetic 19 minutes of Idzik at his absolute worst.A lot of people belive that he would have kept his job if it wasn't for this

13. TNJet

TNJet Well-Known Member

let's ignore this post....

14. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

I think the OP needs a hug and some kleenex.

Red Menace and TNJet like this.
  15. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Hey I watched that whole press conference and nowhere did Woodrow say he was for negotiating Revis's return. He in fact mentioned how he perceived Revis's agents were difficult to deal with. As the SNY guys noted afterwards, it sounded like Woodrow admitted that the Jets had given up on even trying to get Revis.

Sure he expressed a regret that Revis was on the Pats and that he would have been a good player to have brought back, but that's not the same at all as evidence that Johnson was for and not opposed to attempting to negotiate Revis's return.

16. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Yep. First of all I'd be very surprised if Idzik gets hired as a GM by anyone else. Imo he'd have to go back to some lower position on some team and show success especially in the personnel area in order, perhaps, down the road to be again considered, if that ever happens.

He showed very poor judgment and and lack of initiative in handling hte Cb position. He never had a real plan for dealing with it as his too many at the time defenders claimed. His critics were in effect vindicated when we saw the worst Cb play in memory, and even poor Qb play was not as huge a factor as that was in the trainwreck of the 14 season.

Next up was his handling of hte Qb situation. This was a bit more complex to me than Cb, since the Jets were not in a good position vis a vis the draft, in the sense that Smith was not a proven abject failure coming out of 13. And of available FA's, he did get Vick. But then by all accounts he in effect lied to Jet fans and misplayed the pre-season by contending there was a real Qb competition when there really was not one. I know his defenders say Vick was not really a better option than Smith - but how's that a defense of Idzik??? Vick is the guy he got. I for one, however, think Vick would have been much more effective if he'd been allowed to show he should have been the starter.

Next up was the disaster of failing to get a good receiver in the draft when there were so many he could have gotten.

I also think while the Harvin move had merit, it was too reactive and came too late to do anything good.

But overall i don't hink he had a real strategy for developing this team going forward. His defenders gave him too much credit for dealing with the cap space. Anyone can cut every player they can. The issue is replacing good players with better ones. He failed to do that.

Meanwhile the core vets are two years older with no real replacements behind them, and the Qb situation is going to be a huge challenge going forward. Idzik set this team back, and he should not have been hired in the first place.

FlaJet likes this.
  17. NoodleArm

NoodleArm Well-Known Member

@OP. While I appreciate the humane perspective, don't feel bad for Idzik.

Idzik is in this situation because of a decision that he made two years ago. At that time, he was offered the Jets' GM job under certain conditions. First, the timing was a major issue. There was not enough time for him to get his own scouting and financials people in place to execute the 2012 draft, so he was left with Tannebaum's people. Second, and more importantly, he would inherit Ryan as his HC -- an individual with greater say in the organization (and with the owner) than he would have. These conditions were not a secret. Idzik decided to take the job because he believed that despite those conditions, he could succeed. He was wrong.

On the outset, it is not immediately clear that the trio of Ryan, Idzik, and Johnson were ever on the same page. Idzik clearly was planning for future, "sustainable" success. Ryan wanted to win now to preserve his reputation and job. Johnson wanted... well, it's really difficult to tell because there is so little information out there. Yes, it is true that if all of Idzik's picks hit, the situation would have been different. However, Milliner, McDougle and Evans were injured. Smith, Winters and virtually all other picks haven't played to expectations. That exacerbated the disconnect between Idzik and Ryan, leading to the current reset.

Moving forward, it's in our best interests, as Jets fans, to hope that Idzik's legacy -- the picks and cap space -- turn out better than his tenure.

18. Wahoo

Wahoo Well-Known Member

To the OP, as I've said before, I'm not sure whether firing Idzik was the right move, but I can definetly understand why people wanted him fired. However, you state that his draft picks are "looking better every week". I'm having a hard time seeing that, could you explain what you mean?

19. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

Maybe he means the guys Idzik cut that were picked up by other teams are looking better each day ?or maybe he is privied to the rehab sessions and sees progress in guys range of motion? That's all I can think of,,,,maybe the OP can expound on what he meant ?

20. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

M
    Now who would Idzik have chosen that would set the Jets back 30 years. Other than re-signing Rex.