So. Let me get this straight. Todd Bowles now "lacks discipline"?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by DefenseWinsChampionships, Jun 12, 2017.

1. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

LOL! I loved your line "I can't believe I have to sit here and convince people of this stuff." Truer words never spoken.

rohirrim665 and boozer32 like this.
  2. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Cromartie was likely Bowles. The rest is Maccagnan because unlike Bowles, he's in charge of personnel. The rest of your post is irrelevant.

While my post isn't entirely accurate, my point is changing the word Bowles to Maccagnan makes the post more accurate. Which is because DaBallhawk is bashing Bowles for things that are Mac's responsibility; going after Bowles for personnel is like going after Mac for game management. LaCanfora's article is entirely speculation; he doesn't know any more than you or I.

3. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Sorry, but your logic is flawed. All HCs have some input on personnel. This could even more true with the Jets where Bowles and Mac have been equals, and where Bowles needed specific types of players to make his D work. GMs don't have input into game management.

You still evidently haven't read the La Canfora article. Woody wanted to win now. He did not accept rebuilding in 2015. He campaigned in the media for Revis to come back and could have been charged with tampering. In all likelihood, he ordered Mac to re-sign Revis regardless of cost. Mac had to spend a lot of money to meet the NFL's requirements, and since Woody was demanding that the team be competitive, rather than rebuilding, Mac had little choice but to sign older, more expensive vets and hope that they could play well. He was smart enough to negotiate most of the contracts so that the team could get rid of the players in 2 years if they didn't play well. So you're trying to cast blame on Mac for moves that Woody obviously demanded.

boozer32 likes this.
  4. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

That all he ever does.

5. boozer32

I would rather hire someone that been through the wringer. They usually know their mistakes made and more importantly have a clue, something Bowles doesn't. Pete Carroll, Belichick, Vermeil, Kubiak, Ron Rivera, Mike Shanahan. It's extremely hard to be a first time head coach and juggle all those responsibilities. But seeing how Macc has run his drafts and free agency. Do you want him picking the next head coach of the Jets? I say yes because Bowles was forced on him and he should have the chance to hire his guy and sink or swim with his guy.

Jets_Grinch and Ralebird like this.
  6. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

That's not how the organization structure is created. This will never happen.

7. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

I think that was kind of my point.

The Jets have paid their dues training Bowles up, giving him two years to work through the HC juggling act. Now it's time for him to prove that he's learned something-- it shouldn't be hard to improve on what we've seen so far.

Otherwise, some other team will hire Bowles as a guy who has been through the wringer and get the benefit of the Jets' investment.

I understand your sentiment. The question is, "who is out there right now that's the next Carroll, Belichick, Vermeil, etc.?"

Ken Weisenhunt? Gus Bradley? Cam Cameron? Mike Nolan? Mike Pettine? Mike Smith? Mike Tice? Mike Munchack? Maybe somebody not named 'Mike'?

Jets_Grinch likes this.
  8. boozer32

Yeah except they have no talent now. So I don't understan what the Jets are trying to accomplish. Is it a rebuild, tank or they just sandbagging Bowles to get him out of the way. Could be all 3 since their messaging this whole offseason was a joke. I would go with Gus Bradley. I know he's another defensive coach but I like the defense he would run.

9. boozer32

You think the next Jets head coach is already on the staff? Tannenbaum picked Mangini and Parcells pick Belichick and Groh and I don't think Bradway picked Herm.

#49 boozer32, Jun 21, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2017
  10. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

I am intrigued by our offensive coordinator cause he's worked with some really good offensive minds. I felt like Parcells had far more control over the franchise, compared to the other GMs. Perhaps it might take someone of that caliber to relinquish that control.

boozer32 likes this.
  11. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

All those coaches you mentioned got better when their qbs got better

12. MoWilkBeast

MoWilkBeast Well-Known Member

Of course the elephant in the room is Woody. Cro, as you say was very likely a Bowles pick. Revis a Mac one? Not sure on that, what we are doing now an building through the draft looks more of a Mac MO to me. Revis, Marshall, etc seems far more an instruction from Woody to build a competitive team in response to billboards and planes to me. Short-term thinking which doesn't get us over the line and setting back real progress, but then that's what the Jets have been doing forever, or so it seems. Hoping this time it is different.

FJF likes this.
  13. boozer32

You can say they have compentent GM's too. No way would any of those coaches draft a basket case like Hackenberg. Maybe one of them takes a Dax Prescott.

14. boozer32

I like Morton also thought that was a good hire. His playcalling will be what I will be watching this year. I thought Gailey took to long to get the offense moving.

101GangGreen101 likes this.
  15. FJF

I have yet to hear hackenberg described as a basket case. What is the basis for this?

16. boozer32

His falling apart after Bill O'Brien left PSU. The horrible due to all those sacks behind his bad offensive line. The accuracy issues, the mechanics issues and the Jets babying like they are trying to reinvent him. Have you heard of any other team in this day and age trying to 6 million dollar man any player? Granted the OTA were mix but that was in pads and nowhere near full speed.

17. FJF

maybe basket case painted a different picture in my head as you meant. i wouldn't call him a basket case unless he was acting erratically .
    i mean he is a basket case because a good coach left and he regressed because of it? he is a basket case because his oline deteriorated?
    i don't know,i'm having a hard time putting hack and basket case in the same sentence.
    as to the jets babying him. maybe the jets are sadly in front of the curve on this. i say sadly because these qbs coming out of college are no where near pro ready and maybe there would be less busts if some of them were sat for a year to just be around a pro environment. this should have been going on for a while now. i am some what upset that management didn't snag another qb this year to put on the shelf to throw into the mix next off season. we've thrown too many qbs into the pool only to watch them drown, why not try the extreme opposite?
    the last qb we drafted and sat worked out all right.

18. boozer32

What QB did we sit for 3 years? I also wanted a QB picked in 2017 and thought it would have made more sense than signing some loser journeyman like McCown. Let Petty and basketcase duel it out and the 3rd guy sits and learns the playbook. Having Dark Cloud McCown around is only hindering these guys and also not giving the Jets any concrete evaluation. Everybody anointed Hackenberg after his freshman year so what happened. Was he too attached to his coach? Well in the NFL you will go through a few coaches and most of them might be bad. Can't handle adversity? That one certainly isn't a good trait for any Jets players.

19. FJF

Not following the 3 year question?

20. boozer32

When have the Jets sat a QB for 3 years. This year is the 2nd for Hackenberg and McCown has been labeled and paid to start. So with him being the tank master with the 2-22 record to back it up. Hackenberg path is blocked by him and maybe Petty. So come next year we will draft another QB hopefully the franchise one. So that means Hackenberg was drafted 2nd round and might not be "the guy" for the Jets for 3 years. The other question I meant to ask you. What QB we sat worked out for the Jets?