So. Let me get this straight. Todd Bowles now "lacks discipline"?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by DefenseWinsChampionships, Jun 12, 2017.

1. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

Bashing Bowles is the popular thing to do these days, so people pile on, and anything and everything gets blamed on him. Great HCs aren't born overnight and great QBs don't grow on trees. It's way too early to close the door right now after only 2 seasons, one of which was nearly a playoff year. I'm still reserving judgement until we see him lay the foundation for this young team.

2. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Ooookay.

Tell me - does any franchise have an [active player] that was [convicted] and [sentenced] for a [felony]?

Because i know one such franchise - but I hardly hear anything about that [discipline] problem from that team. I mean - A FUCKING CRIMINAL? That's like a whole new stratosphere.

3. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

No. It's not. If the years were reversed, maybe. His first half season was 5-3. His second half season was 5-3. His third half season was 3-5. His last half season was 2-6. That's going backwards. In anyone's book. At a time when things should have been coming together they were falling apart. Big time.

Just. End. Todd's. Stint.

Jets69 and boozer32 like this.
  4. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

Lol. Yeah, right. That's how it's done. Run a coach out because of a losing record a year after posting a winning record. :rolleyes: Weak troll job bro

5. Ralebird

Looks like you haven't been paying attention, Wally. It's not simply the W's and the L's, there are all those other things that his record is poor on - primarily getting his team ready to play every game. They've been discussed ad nauseum. How long do you want to ride on that 10-6 season followed by a debacle?

6. Walt White

No Raleturd, I've been paying close attention for a long, long time. Therefor I can tell bull shit right quick.

7. Ralebird

So the best you have to offer is another juvenile schoolyard retort?

Grow. The. Fuck. Up!

8. Walt White

Listen fuck oh, you're so full of shit you don't even realize it. You said yourself it's been blathered about ad nauseum and yet there you go blathering about it ad fucking nauseum. SMH GFY LOL

Just Enjoy The Season...if you're capable

FJF likes this.
  9. rohirrim665

rohirrim665 Well-Known Member

Ok, Im not exactly sure what your sentiment is here. I am actually glad they didn't fire Bowles this year because I believe there will be a lot more better options available in the next upcoming offseason, but anybody who thinks Bowles is the answer has got to give me some really good reasons. I will gladly eat crow if I am wrong, but the writing is on the wall.

#29 rohirrim665, Jun 13, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2017
    boozer32 and Ralebird like this.
  10. Perhaps he doesn't lack discipline behind the scenes. But what about an accountability issue??

When you take job to be a head coach in New York city part of that job is communicating with your fan base when capital level controversies arise.I'm not talking about roster moves, depth chart or anything like that. Legal,well being,player conduct & the like. It;'s not always easy w. so many factors & conflicts..but that's par of why he gets paid what he does.

when legal /locker room/effort issues arise there is an obligation to at least acknowledge & provide some sort of synopsis for which to move forward .With the exception of IK/Geno Bowles has downplayed nearly every issue that has gone on to the point of nihilism(It must be exhausting!). If he wants to handle things in house, let things play out, protect his players from certain scrutiny I don' think anyone has a problem w. that. But at least say something to the effect of "The issue has been addressed in house & we are moving forward". Hell that's all he needed to say to when the tardiness questions came up at the league meetings about Sheldon/Wilk. Even if he really believes what he told the media which he clearly does; Keep it in house. By saying the truth he comes across as soft & quite frankly empowers tardy minded players to continue the behavior in question.

He seems to want to protect his players. There's no issue w. that..but at least show a backbone & some level of disappointment when a guy acts like a bone head out on a Sat night regardless of whether he committed a crime or not. Accountability is aspect in question w. Mr. Bowles

boozer32, NCJetsfan and TonyFtLaud like this.
  11. rohirrim665

"Was nearly a playoff" is more like "was supposed to be a playoff." Week 17 was one of the biggest flops I have ever seen, and a piss poor coaching job that a drunkard in the stands could have coached better. Not to mention there were a handful of games we won by God's grace and the fleeting magic of Fitz. The team came out flat all year. Followed up by a season in which he totally lost the locker room. Losing the locker room they he did is a terrible sign. The team flat out quit on him. Not going for 2 point conversions when everybody on their couch knows they should go for 2. Worst of all the lack of adjustments on defense coming from a former DC, I mean Christ I can't believe I have to sit here and convince people of this stuff. I would have to see such an epic turnaround from Bowles for me to want to keep him past this upcoming season.

CBG, Jets69, boozer32 and 5 others like this.
  12. rohirrim665

Lol, huh??? What a weird thing to say. I guess this makes Andy Reid the worst coach in the NFL. I absolutely hate to use them as an example, but do you think guys are pulling shit like this on the Pats? Aside from Hernandez who is a total anomaly, players on New England know the organization won't put up with childish shit. With Bowles, these things are a "part of life" as he says. Whatever, I am giving the guy a chance this year to redeem himself but I am not holding my breath for a second.

13. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

News Flash: The next guy is probably going to suck just as bad.

The organization has already sunk two years into training this guy. Seems to me we can spend another two years finding out if he's learned anything, OR we can hire another dumbass and waste two years training him up to coach somewhere else while we start cycle over again.

14. DaBallhawk

DaBallhawk Well-Known Member

Cute story. Bowles had all the money in the world to build up a contender and he completely failed. He brought in HIS guys. Revis, Cromartie, Gilchrist. All gone now. All the other guys are gone now, as well. A complete failure. How many more shots does he deserve to build up a team that might be able to win a game? How many 100 millions more is he going to blow out the window before you're gonna step in? Keep reserving judgment until he actually has some success, even if it takes 10 more years. Don't expect other people to have as much faith in him. Bowles has been given more opportunities than other head coaches, that's a fact. And he's hit rock bottom right now. He is not a proven winner, either. Coordinators turned headcoaches usually get canned after one terrible season if they have been in the NFL for (more than) 2 years without making the playoffs at least once.

I'm not saying he should be fired, especially since there is not even a decent option to replace him with. But at least admit that they completely failed with what they tried to do a couple years ago when they blew all this money to build a contender. That usually is reason enough to fire somebody. But we're the Jets, nobody is stupid enough to actually want this job so what's the point of firing Bowles. You might as well give him another shot. If this were Dallas Todd would have been gone after a 3 game losing streak. With the Jets it's not even enough to field the worst roster in NFL history, they'll still hang on to you.

15. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Fixed that for you.

16. regan62072

regan62072 Well-Known Member

One of the best Southpark episodes!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

17. DaBallhawk

DaBallhawk Well-Known Member

That doesn't even make sense. Who brought Cromartie's washed up ass back again after we dumped him a year earlier? Probably the guy that coached him in Arizona, I think that was Bowles but I'm not sure. And who is responsible for the team getting into fights and legal issues off the field? Skipping practice and whatnot. The headcoach, not the GM. I know, Bowles had nothing to do with anything. And when we were doing well people gave him credit. Weird how that works.

18. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

Ok, one last time--Todd Bowles is probably a nice guy, but he is a very poor NFL coach. For the following reasons:

1. His teams look unready to play . Go watch the 2016 prime time games against the colts and Cardinals--the jets were sleepwalking right from the start--IT WAS EMBARRASSING. In the 2015 finale against the bills with the playoffs on the line I thought the jets looked flat from the get go. He simply does not instill the URGENCY these men need!

2.He makes terrible in-game decisions. Punting on 4th and 6 on the 40 in the 4th quarter down by 11 against an offense he had not stopped all day. Going for a ONE point conversion late in the 4th quarter up by 12 against the bills. Not yanking guys like Fitz after interception #5 or Revis when he refuses to tackle anyone. Halftime adjustments? What are those?

3. He lets the inmates run the asylum--players late for meetings, speaking out against the medical staff, players streaming videos before games,, locker room fights, players speaking to the media about other players--he does not know how to run or even address a dysfunctional locker room.

4. He sounds like an idiot at press conferences--Supposed to be the face of the team--are you kidding? Basically saying is ok for players to be late because "not everyone HAS an alarm clock." Constantly defending Ryan Fitz after 6 interceptions when the rest of the world wants him benched. Show me the last clip of Bowles saying ANYTHING insightful at a press conference. With Bowles as the face of your franchise, no wonder the jets stink. Name one team team that shivers seeing a "Todd Bowles led" team on their schedule . The stupid grin he always has at press conferences reminds of the last kid to make the high school varsity cut.

5. He has no long range plan. Like Keeping his DC from last year who is as clueless as he is. And, just watch he will start old man McNown and greybeard Forte most of the year--nice rebuild. Play Hackenberg damn it--See what he has--we are going nowhere anyway this year.

Woody will be stupid enough to give Bowles an extension soon though.

19. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

The team can learn anything further it needs to know this season. If he doesn't make major changes, adjustments and show signs of real growth and improvement, he's not likely to, whether we give him another year, or another 10. If you go any further into the rebuild with a coach that doesn't have it, you risk ruining the rebuild. Rookies learn quickly what is expected of them and what kind of discipline/culture/identity the team has. Once that gets established, it's very difficult to change that. This is the time that the team is trying to change its culture, to establish a new identity, so it would be foolish in the extreme to keep Bowles past this season if he doesn't show major growth/improvement.

tomdeb likes this.
  20. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

That post is utter nonsense and totally lacking in factuality regarding GMs. They are never fired after one season. The only reason Idzik only got 2 seasons is that it was glaringly apparent to all how incompetent he was and that Woody had made a huge mistake in ever hiring him.

I guess you also didn't read the LaCanfora article that basically spells out that the first two seasons lay at Woody's feet,not Mac's

#40 NCJetsfan, Jun 15, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2017