So Ivory 'needed a rest'

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NYJFan10, Jan 3, 2016.

1. DaBallhawk

DaBallhawk Well-Known Member

Ivory I think had 1 carry for 60 yards in the first half. Gotta make sure you don't hand him the ball too many times.

2. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

On a play where I could've went for 60 the whole was so fuckin big. Ivory should've went to the house honestly but he is out of steam. It was also the only play the offensive line
    Did a damn thing

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  3. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

They overused him in the beginning of the season and they are covering for him since he is probably a lot worse off healthwise than we thought. We need Powell and hopefully someone else we get this offseason to contribute early and often. Ivory needs to be kept fresh probably shouldnt ever go over 15 carries in a game.

NYJetsO12, Br4d and Turbocharged23 like this.
  4. Jets4eva9011

Jets4eva9011 Well-Known Member

Ivory always seems to have durability issues, though.

Probably best to part ways with him honestly. He's going to want starter money, and to me, he's best suited in a platoon. Talented back, but durability issues held him back from being one of the best starting backs in the league.

5. JetsVilma28

JetsVilma28 Well-Known Member

Playing from behind, so obviously heavier pass.

But six carries?

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  6. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

How much he should be paid is debatable. I think there are very few runningbacks that can run like him and not get banged up like that. We really need a 3 headed monster to keep everyone fresh and healthy.

TNJet, NYJetsO12 and JetsVilma28 like this.
  7. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Ideally the Jets get Ivory to sign a deal that allows them to use him as a featured back in a true RBBC. 15 carries a game for him tops, less when they can get away with it, 10-12 carries for a rotational back, 10 touches for a 3rd down back, etc. Ivory could be the feature, there's nobody to be the rotational at this point, Powell could be the 3rd down back. Then after that you need a couple of guys who run the ball playing special teams so when the NFL's imevitable RB breakdowns occur it is next man up.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  8. rickjet

rickjet Well-Known Member

If FO and coaches knew that Powell and Ivory were banged up coming in, why
    didn't they come up with something better than Ridley 9 carries 29 yards, ??

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  9. jetlife21

jetlife21 Well-Known Member

Shelf life is short for RBs. I'd rather let Ivory go a year too early then give him a fat new contract he doesn't live up to. I'd look elsewhere in FA and draft but would bring Ivory back if there's not a lot of guaranteed money. I'd bring Powell back first who has less mileage and looked the better player down the stretch.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  10. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

They Lose and they were poorly coached. They win and they were greatly coached. It doesn't matter just the outcome. If Fitzpatrick hits decker for that TD instead of giving it to buffalo in the endzone the Jets win 24-22 and Bowles is. Worshipped as a great coach on here regardless of the Ivory shit and other stuff. At what point do we say these shit bag players deserve some blame? Let's blame those who don't execute for once

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  11. Toronto's Biggest

Toronto's Biggest Active Member

Because today's loss was so much on coaching decisions: not bracketing Watkins, poor roster management on the RBs.

Clean up both and Jets win this.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  12. Cidusii

Cidusii Well-Known Member

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  13. cbman13

cbman13 Well-Known Member

He's probably gone now...... My gut tells me Powell will be brought back and we will draft a RB early..... He's injury prone, but he should have got most of the carries that went to Ridley.....

14. mute

mute Well-Known Member

Lol wut? He was the only one doing something last year and he runs hard every play.

Sent from my LG-LS720 using Tapatalk

15. The_Darksider

The_Darksider Well-Known Member

He suited up for all 16, but didn't play against Philly at all and missed most of another (forget which one). His durability is absolutely a question, there's no doubt about it. He has never been able to stay on the field, and that's the reason we were able to get him from New Orleans when they had a glut of guys and opted to deal him instead of other, lesser backs.

16. The_Darksider

The_Darksider Well-Known Member

I don't know.....you could point to 20 different things not related to the coaching staff and say "if you cleaned those up, we would have won". we lost by 5, and missed a FG, they missed an extra point. So, 23-20 if those two gimmes are made.

Those 3 points could easily have been made up with:
    • better tackling
    • a couple of 3rd down stops
    • a 4th down stop at least once
    • not jumping offside on 4th down on the oldest football trick in creation
    • not dropping passes
    • not turning the ball over in FG range late in the game
    • scoring a TD after the Williams fumble instead of settling for a FG
    The list can go on, but I think you get the point. None of the above is necessarily related to coaching unless you want to put all responsibility for how players execute plays on the staff. And it's not just a simple matter saying that poor execution is a bad excuse - other than settling for FGs and a drop here and there, none of the above were problems for most of the season. We didn't see a lot of red zone turnovers, we didn't see a lot of poor tackling, we didn't see a lot of games where 3rd down (and 4th down) conversions were given up like candy on Halloween.

So, while I agree that the coaching staff had a bad game - so did EVERYONE else. This was a total team effort.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  17. DaBallhawk

DaBallhawk Well-Known Member

Chan was clearly saving Ivory for the playoffs. Those fresh legs would pay off bigtime in the postseason.

[​IMG]

18. macbk

macbk Well-Known Member

- per Cimini

19. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

I hear you--I think people should consider that every RB in the league has questions of durability. IMO, people discount Ivory's value more than they should due to their perception that he is less durable than an average RB. This perception is simply untrue when comparing him to other starting backs this year. I tried to give people a flavor of this by listing some but a little research shows this to be the case.

20. GangGreen1960

GangGreen1960 Member

To all of those guys telling us how we should let Ivory go: finding a replacement for him might be the hardest job in the postseason. In the end, Powell had only four dominant games. Nobody knows how he can perform in a feature role over the course of a season. He looks explosive on so many plays cause he comes in fresh unlike Ivory who played most downs over the course of the season. Lynch is out with an injury and he is probably the only RB who compares to Ivory considering power running and trucking. Which power feature back is still healthy at this point? Peterson is the only one that comes to mind and if you watch some of Minnesotas games you will realise that he misses a couple of drives every game for the last month with minor injuries. All the teams with a good running game at this point of the season split carries the entire year(or those with a bad running game but at least healthy backs). Cincinnati, Denver, Philadelphia, Kansas, Atlanta, New Orleans, Washington, Green Bay, Chicago, SD, Seattle, San Francisco split the carries between multiple rbs, cause they were forced to or had multiple good rbs. The Jets started to go away from Ivory not earlier than December. If we had featured Powell in September and October more often Ivory would probably still be fresh enough to play a majority of the snaps. Deangelo Williams, Gurley and Jonathan Stewart other than Peterson come to mind when you're talking about heavily featured 3 down backs. Both guys were injured today, just like Ivory. I think the problem is that at the beginning of the season the Jets fell in love with Ivory and run him too often and lately they fell in love with Powell and his receiving skills and thought they had to keep it going even without him so they featured Ridley. If they split the carries over the course of the season a tandem like Ivory Powell should offer a very good running game. Who should the Jets replace Ivory with? I don't want another Shonn Green. It's more a problem of using our rbs than their durability.

IDFjet likes this.