Snoopy Bowl: Pre-Season Week 3 Jets at Giants Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by The Dark Knight, Aug 23, 2017.

1. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Look on the bright side guys maybe Woody sell the team after this year...throws in the towel and buys some English Football team for shits and giggles

2. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I did. As I said, I was one of his major supporters. I really thought and hoped (maybe was blinded with hope), that we had finally found a good GM. He's definitely better than Idzik and better than Tanny in some ways, but that's not saying much.

3. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Well it certainly CAN be, if as you put it at the end, those conditions are met - and I can easily see that happening. How long will players play for someone who they can easily see is clueless? What Bowles has done with his "mix & match" lineups, his mishandling of the QB "competition", his lousy game and clock management would make even the most dedicated player question why he's risking injury just to fail week after week. Maybe Bowles has some hidden formula for motivating players, but if he does, he didn't have it before..I just don't have any faith in him, but I've been wrong before, so I hope I am now.

But even worse than going 0-16 - that would almost certainly get them the #1 pick - would be winning a few meaningless games, like going 4-12 and landing in draft purgatory where they have no shot at getting the QB they desperately need. My best case hope is for them to go 0-16 while trying hard to the end, and having the nucleus prove they belong and can be built upon. But the odds of that happening are about the same as them winning the SB. Most likely they're going to lose a lot and lose ugly and be a smoking dumpster fire at the end, and THAT is going to be very hard to stomach.

#583 ColoradoContrails, Aug 27, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2017
  4. ColoradoContrails

As much as I blame Macc for the state of the team - and he deserves it - I don't think he's necessarily a terrible GM. His problem is his lack of experience in a winning organization so that he could emulate that org. If the Jets could find a guy who did know how to build a winning organization to come aboard as Pres. of Football Ops and show Macc what to do, maybe they wouldn't have to start completely from scratch again. I don't know who that genius would be, but surely somebody out there has to know.

Cman68 likes this.
  5. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

remember when we got sporano and he had the not schotty thing going for him?

6. NCJetsfan

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2017/08/jets_snap_count_totals_and_observations_sheldon_ri.html

Jets snap count totals and observations: Sheldon Richardson dominant vs. Giants

By Connor Hughes

chughes@njadvancemedia.com,

NJ Advance Media for NJ.com

There isn't a lot for the Jets to hang their hat on coming out of Saturday night's preseason loss to the Giants as it pertains to the starters. The quarterbacks were dreadful, the line even worse, receivers and tight ends invisible.

Defensively, the unit struggled (understandably so) when the offense continually put them back on the field. When the first half ended, the Giants were up, 29-3.

But all that borderline ineptitude shouldn't hide the fact Sheldon Richardson played like a man possessed.

The fifth-year defensive end finished with two tackles and a sack in the first half, and another two quarterback hurries. It seemed anytime Eli Manning dropped back, Richardson was all over him.

His highlight play came when he demolished Giants starting guard John Jerry on his way to Manning, who then threw up a wounded duck. Jets cornerback Juston Burris won the ensuing jump ball with an interception.

The part Jets fans should be most happy with? Richardson had his success playing alongside fellow defensive ends Muhammad Wilkerson and Leonard Williams. The three played 26, 25 and 30 snaps respectively in the first half.

Here are a few more snap count observations, followed by the final totals:

WORKING HIS WAY OUT: The Jets traded cornerback Dexter McDougle to the Eagles on Monday in exchange for reserve safety Terrence Brooks. A somewhat surprising move. McDougle had a nice training camp, but the Jets do need safety help with Rontez Miles and Doug Middleton each dealing with injuries.

McDougle wasn't exactly stashed against the Giants, though. He played 36 (52 percent) of the defense's snaps, and another six on special teams. He had one tackle.

HEY THERE, ROOKIE: Jets rookie fifth-round pick Dylan Donahue played a ton against the Giants -- 45 percent (31) of the defense's snaps. He worked in with the nickel package as a pass rusher, then played running downs in the second half. He finished with two tackles and half a sack. He had another quarterback hurry.

The Jets like Donahue. A lot. If he continues this upward trajectory, he'll have a role outside of special teams on Sundays.

WHERE'S CHARONE PEAKE?: The Jets' seventh-round pick from a year ago played a sizeable amount against the Giants: 24 offensive reps, and another 12 on special teams. Just one issue: He was invisible.

The Jets desperately need receivers, yet Peake wasn't targeted once on his reps. That's understandable if you play five or six. But 24? If Peake makes the Jets' final roster, it'll be for his special teams play. At this point, that may not be enough to save him.

SNAP COUNT TOTALS
    OFFENSE

[offense snaps, percentage, special teams]
    TE Chris Gragg: 40, 56%, 4
    WR ArDarius Stewart: 40, 56%, 3
    QB Christian Hackenberg: 40%, 56
    OT Brent Qvale: 39, 55%, 9
    C Jonotthan Harrison: 38, 54%, 9

OT Ben Ijalana: 38, 54%, 3
    G Dakota Dozier: 38, 54%, 1
    G Ben Braden: 38, 54%, 1

OT Brandon Shell: 33, 46%, 2
    OG Brian WInters: 33, 46%, 2
    OG James Carpenter: 33, 46%, 1
    OT Kelvin Beachum: 33, 46%
    C Wesley Johnson: 33, 46%

WR Chad Hansen: 32, 45%
    QB Bryce Petty: 31, 44%
    TE Erik Tomlinson: 30, 42%, 15
    WR Robby Anderson: 30, 42%
    TE Austin Seferian-Jenkins: 29, 41%
    RB Bilal Powell: 25, 35%, 9
    RB Matt Forte: 25, 35%
    WR Charone Peake: 24, 34%, 12
    WR Chris Harper: 21, 30%, 1
    RB Eli McGuire: 19, 27%, 4
    WR Kenbrell Thompkins: 15, 21%, 2
    WR Frankie Hammond: 9, 13%, 9
    WR Jalin Marshall: 5, 7%, 4
    FB Julian Howsare: 4, 6%, 13
    FB Anthony Firkser: 4, 6%, 2
    RB Marcus Murphy: 2, 3%, 6

DEFENSE
    [defense snaps, percentage, special teams]
    LB Freddie Bishop: 43, 62%, 5
    LB Julian Stanford: 36, 52%, 16
    CB Marcus Williams: 36, 52%, 9
    S Ronald Martin: 36, 52%, 9
    CB Dexter McDougle: 36, 52%, 6
    LB Demario Davis: 33, 48%, 6
    S Marcus Maye: 33, 48%, 6
    CB Buster Skrine: 32, 46%, 7
    S Jamal Adams: 32, 46%, 6
    LB Dylan Donahue: 31, 45%, 11
    CB Juston Burris: 31, 45%, 10
    LB Darron Lee: 31, 45%, 9
    DE Muhammad Wilkerson: 30, 43%, 6
    DL Claude Pelon: 29, 42%, 1
    DT Sheldon Richardson: 26, 38%, 4
    DE Leonard Williams: 25, 36%, 4
    LB Spencer Paysinger: 24, 35%, 16
    S Shamarko Thomas: 23, 33%, 7
    DE Lawrence Thomas: 21, 30%, 13
    CB Darryl Roberts: 21, 30%, 12
    CB Xavier Coleman: 19, 28%, 8
    LB Josh Martin: 15, 22%, 15
    LB Frank Beltre: 14, 20%, 13
    NT Steve McLendon: 14, 20%, 5
    DE Patrick Gamble: 14, 20%
    S Robenson Therezie: 13, 19%, 8
    LB Jordan Jenkisn: 12, 17%, 8
    DT Mike Pennel: 12, 17%, 3
    DE Devon Still: 10, 14%
    LB Bruce Carter: 9, 13%, 8
    NT Deon Simon: 7, 10%, 3
    LB Connor Harris: 3, 4%, 6

SPECIAL TEAMS
    [special team snaps]
    P Lachlan Edwards: 8
    LS Tanner Purdum: 7
    K Chandler Catanzaro: 5
    RB Romar Morris: 4
    K Ross Martin: 4
    DB Derrick Jones: 2
    WR Gabe Marks: 1
    RB Jahad Thomas: 1
    OG Craig Watts: 1
    OT Jeff Adams: 1

The OL snaps are interesting. It looks like he is keeping units together rather than mixing players. For those who saw the game, is that accurate? If so, does one unit seem to be any better than the other?

It's starting to look like Charone Peake isn't making the team. He hasn't done much in TC or preseason games.

tiger8mush likes this.
  7. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

Starting to feel like he and Bowles just can't survive this year.

8. mr nyjet

mr nyjet Well-Known Member

"The part Jets fans should be most happy with? Richardson had his success playing alongside fellow defensive ends Muhammad Wilkerson and Leonard Williams. The three played 26, 25 and 30 snaps respectively in the first half." :rolleyes:

scoreboard? 29-3? well, take out the second round pick at qb, and it would only be 13-3.

on the other hand, it was a road game so the flight crew were spared having to witness the atrocity.

9. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

That didn't last too long. Remember when Bowles was supposed to be all the best parts of Rex but be able to put a discipline squad out on the field. Oh the memories.

FJF and grkmanga31 like this.
  10. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

1. Folks, haven't I been saying this for some time? It's McClown time - unless you want to see the young cubs thrown to the wolves. I don't enjoy watching gore shows.

2. Trial by fire - sounds good. It's all fine and dandy except, I have two words for you: DAVID CARR. From the looks of his younger brother in Derek, I get the impression that, maybe it was the fault of Texans that did David in, not the other way around. I do not want Petty or Hack to be the most sacked QB in any given season.

3. Ok - on Mac. Why he did not address the OL when he had to spend the money in his year 1 is still a mystery to me. [He could have targetted a few of these: Rodney Hudson, C/Mike Iupati, G/Bryan Bulaga, T. Instead he shopped CBs. Either way I can't fault him for that - Jets CBs were disaster that year too.] All in all, this is but a year 2. If he ignores OL again come the draft time, he'll be on my shitlist as well.

#590 Zach, Aug 28, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2017
    matt robinson 17 and Cman68 like this.
  11. GreenWhiteandGold

GreenWhiteandGold Well-Known Member

So if Mac is to be relieved of duties when is the best time for that to happen? Obviously he can't go to the end of the season or can he? Presuming we are drafting early then don't we need our GM for the foreseeable future picking our next QB? It seems like the best time to let the axe fall would be now if there was any intention to do so. When does it become too late? Christmas, February. I presume if he's drafting next year then he will be here for quite some time?

#591 GreenWhiteandGold, Aug 28, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2017
  12. NCJetsfan

Actually, your point 3 isn't totally valid. He did try to sign Mike Iupati and one of the other top OGs (can't remember if it was Orlando Franklin or Clint Bolling, but think it was Franklin). Both said they wanted to stay out west and not come to the East Coast. Carpenter was his 3rd choice. have no idea why he didn't try to sign Boling, but maybe he was afraid that Boling would turn him down to and in the meantime he'd lost Carpenter. Mac also tried to trade up for Laremy Tunsil, but failed. Perhaps he could have given up more to get Tunsil. Perhaps he could have taken a flyer on La'el Collins. Whatever, he could have and should have done more to upgrade the OL sooner.

13. NCJetsfan

The scouts are all signed through the draft. There's no point in axing Mac now. The OL could gel once the starting lineup is set and they could play better than they are now. He could also sign a camp cut or two that would improve the OL's play. In addition, a number of his other picks like Lee could develop into really good starters. If so, and you had already fired Mac, you quite possibly could rue that decision.

I think the end of the season is the earliest possible time he could be fired. If Lee and other draft picks don't develop and if the OL proves to be a disaster, and gets every one of our QBs hurt or if the offense can never get untracked, then he quite possibly should be fired the second the season ends.

IMO the bottom line is that Woody doesn't really know enough to make the right decisions. He really needs to hire an experienced football man as President of Football Operations with an offensive background to create a vision, identity and set the course for the future. I'd tell him the decision/evaluation on what to do with Mac and Bowles would be his decision, but that I expected to see the focus for the next two years at a minimum on radically upgrading the OL and the offense or they both would be gone.

14. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

This is why I am not so keen on trashing Mac now. I remember how he literally cleaned the scouting department right after his first draft. [All the buddies of Idzik were cleansed. It was a bloodbath in a way.] So, in that regard, this draft was his first draft with 'his' scouts. Maybe we'll need more time to see how he fares. If anything, even with same Idzik scouts, Mac did get some useful players out of the draft, unlike the other moron. [Case in point: Mac didn't hesitate to pull the trigger on the best player of the draft when Leo fell in his laps. Idzik would walk away from a potential franchise QB even when the said QB fell in his laps. Go figure.]

So - we'll see how he handles the OL the next spring.

15. ColoradoContrails

Spot on!

As angry and frustrated as I am with Macc and Bowles and would like to see them fired out of revenge, it would be foolish to do so right now. If Bowles continues to show a complete lack of grasp on managing games, etc. then I would fire him mid-season. Macc however is a different case. Firing him now, or even mid-season doesn't help at all, and in fact creates a crisis that needs to be solved with haste - never a good thing. If Woody were smart - and yes, I know that isn't the case, but still - he would be actively looking for that Pres. of Football Ops right now, and bringing him on board as a first step and giving him time to evaluate everything before the end of the season, at which point if he decides to replace Macc and Bowles, there's time before the draft and FA to get his guys in place.

But as I said, I doubt Woody is that smart.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  16. BigSnacks54

BigSnacks54 Well-Known Member

It's been the same story with Hackenberg, dating back to Penn State. He's making the same mistakes, from a mental and accuracy standpoint and low and behold, the same excuses that were made for him at Penn State are being made again. What have we seen in the last two years that indicates he can figure it out? He's been horrible for much of his pre season action, apparently he's struggled at camp, and the biggest indictment? The fact that the coaching staff seems to believe that a 40 year old journeyman QB is leaps and bounds better than Hackenberg.

tbruner12 likes this.