Snoopy Bowl: Pre-Season Week 3 Jets at Giants Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by The Dark Knight, Aug 23, 2017.

1. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

Unless believing a guy is a solid back-up but not a quality starter has suddenly become a sign of disrespect, I have no idea what you are talking about. I know what Petty is; I want Hack to play not because he is better but because I'm still trying to evaluate him. I've expressed before that Petty is the only guy I would keep of the 3. With Petty we may be able to win 4-5 games, that might put us out of contention for everyone's savior, Darnold. I'm not even a fan of Darnold but for those that are is 4-5 wins worth it?

2. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

sound plan indeed...Especially with the worst oline in the NFL in front of him. Let McCown get his ass kicked for several games. Might as well get our money's worth..

3. tbruner12

tbruner12 Well-Known Member

To think that he hasn't went over how defenses disguise, especially with an entire red shirt year, while practicing against our above average defense, with Todd "disguise my blitzes" Bowles, is silly. If he doesn't have a pretty good idea how it works by now in his life as a QB, he probably won't ever.

4. PulseJet

PulseJet Well-Known Member

Why would you write this false post? Stir some shit up?

5. legler82

Wow ok

FJF likes this.
  6. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Point up my post saying Hack Hater please ?

Somebody else further up used Hack hater, though I am sure I have used it before myself at some point.

Though Hackbot is used in a condescending manner as was Genobot but tbh the likes of tbruner12 are running on pure hatred of the kid, you yourself not so much.

The best laugh is always looking underneath to see who likes your posts, it was no shock to see who liked yours lol

#566 K'OB, Aug 27, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2017
  7. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

If Petty could win 4-5 games with this team and CS, then he's a hell of a lot more than just a backup, and should be our starting QB going forward. Screw Darnold, he may stay in college anyway or tell the Jets he won't play for them.

IMO nothing can be learned or gained from playing Hack at this point. He's not ready. The only thing it will wind up doing is getting him or another player seriously injured and his confidence shredded. Play him now, and you might as set it in stone that you'll be cutting him next spring.

PulseJet and ColoradoContrails like this.
  8. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I actually agree with this as the best thing for Petty and the team, but I guess I just want Bowles and the CS to show me that they actually recognize QB talent. Again, not saying Petty is the FQB or even above average (although he might be, IDK), but it's almost like Bowles has purposely shut his eyes. Naming Petty as the starter would show me that he at least has some clue. That said, your approach is the saner, more logical one.

Cman68, tbruner12 and K'OB like this.
  9. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Yes, even if the Jets get a top 4-5 pick and can get a shot at a true FQB, that guy likely won't be able to start right off the bat - at best, MAYBE he could start somewhere during the season, if he's really that good. So we'll need someone to start, and Petty could certainly be that guy, and as you said, maybe he's even better than that.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  10. NCJetsfan

I hear what you're saying. IMO Petty deserves to start, especially considering the lack of respect they've shown him in the way they've handled the reps in the sham QB competition. I actually think they did Petty a favor and it lit a fire under him. He may have come on and played this well anyway, but I'll bet the extra motivation to show those dumb asses what they were missing didn't hurt.

I'm at that point I don't care what Bowles does or doesn't see. I want him gone the second the season is over. I'm about there with Mac too. If Mac can bring in decent OL or two in camp cuts and/or the OL gels, plays better and gives Petty a chance, then I might be willing to give Mac one more year, but if he doesn't fix the OL between FA and the draft next year and really focus on the offense, then I want him fired immediately following the draft. The sad reality is that we're probably stuck with both next year. If so, then my days following and rooting for this team are probably over.

As far as the CS. I think that Bates does recognize Petty's ability, but am not so sure about Morton.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  11. legler82

I say 4-5 because our defense and Petty is competent and seems comfortable in the offense. I feel we can win 4-5 games with McCown too; does that mean he is good and should be our starter?

No argument from me there.

Seems like we "learned" last night that his "confidence" was not "shredded" after struggling early and being thrusted back in unexpectedly late in the game. He's not ready based on what? The fact that he is not moving the ball behind poor line and playing with limited offensive weapons. If that is barometer than there are a lot of QBs that's not ready.

12. NCJetsfan

I can't see McCown even staying healthy long enough to win 4-5 games, much less actually doing it. I think that the only thing McCown really has going for him at this point is his experience in the WCO. IMO Pettys got a better, more accurate arm, and may be just as good a leader. With more experience, Petty could prove to be a lot better than McCown and to even be a quality starting QB.

It's one thing to not lose confidence after a half of poor play. It could be entirely another thing after playing poorly for 16 games, he takes a pounding like as PSU, and the Jets' offense struggles because of him and not vice versa. I didn't get to see the game, but based on what I read here from posters I trust and elsewhere, he's not recognizing blitzes and adjusting the OL, he's locking onto his intended receivers and not going through his progressions. Granted, last night he didn't have much time to go through his progressions, but had he recognized where the pressure was coming from and made adjustments, then he may have had plenty of time. He's also throwing the ball late and it's going to result in receivers getting hurt or in a lot of interceptions. In addition, a number of posters said that he didn't look comfortable or confident.

If he is struggling with his confidence or mechanics or the system, he's not gonna play up to his ability, and he's going to hold the offense back, and as you know, it needs all the help it can get. We need a comfortable, confident QB who can hopefully help the WRs by throwing the ball on time, to the right spots, and maybe throwing them open. We need a QB who can buy some time in the pocket and still go through his progression and throw the ball to the open man.

I want to give him every chance to develop, and I just don't think he's a guy that's gonna remain confident if he's out there struggling, getting pounded week in and week out, and throwing interceptions, or WRs are getting hurt and/or short-arming the ball for fear of getting hurt.

13. legler82

"I didn't get to see the game"... and we're done.

14. NCJetsfan

I expected no less from you. I don't see you refuting the claims that those posters made. That would have been meaningful, but I'll bet you can't. Just like several other posts where I solidly nailed you and you never responded.

15. legler82

What's there to respond to? You start off insinuating McCown may not be able to stay healthy as though Petty doesn't have his own durability questions in his thus far short career. Next you comment about a game you didn't see followed by a few negative hypotheticals and projections of Hack compared to positive projections of Petty. You "nailed" me...[pause]!

FJF likes this.
  16. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Yeah, I agree with you on all of that, except it won't be the worst season. It can't be. I have watched only 24 seasons, but some of those were much worse than this year will be. Like I have posted elsewhere, it can be fun watching young guys learn and progress. Now if it is just a mess and Bowles is a joke and they go 0-16, yeah it could be the worst. With low expectations, I am hoping for it to be better than expected.

17. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

So YOU are a FORMER MM supporter now.?????..I think you provided him with more excuses than I did lmao

tbruner12 and legler82 like this.
  18. legler82

The best thing MM got going for him nowadays is that he is not Idzik.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  19. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

If we have another season like the last one he will be.

20. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

Fake news

HomeoftheJets likes this.