Small FA Wish-List

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by EcKo151, Mar 11, 2006.

1. EcKo151

EcKo151 Active Member

Ending the year $26 million over the salary cap...Most of us thought the Jets wouldn't be able to do anything when Free Agency started...

Few months later the Jets are $13-14 million UNDER the cap, and when Abraham is unloaded, the Jets will get another $8 million in cap space...

I sure as hell do not want to spend all of it only to get into cap trouble for 08', which the salary cap increases $7 million to $109 million. And we need to save room for the rookies, since #4 overall is gonna cost some jack.

Here we go...I'm not gonna want every big player just because the Jets have money, but rather be realistic and get some cheaper players...

1. Ted Washington. Since the Jets and Eric Mangini are implenting a 3-4 defense, they need a clogger. Though in his late 30's, Washington would be a nice/cheap addition to play 20 snaps a game or so clocking in at 360+ pounds. The major thing is trying to teach Sione Pouha to be a NT in a 3-4 defense, who is 325 pounds...It'd be a one-year/stopgap solution to implement the 3-4 while trying to guide Pouha...

2. Stephen Neal. Previously on the Patriots and a SOLID guard. Won't nearly as much as LeCharles Bentley(Browns) and would be a good addition, nothing major, just solid. With Pete Kendall's versatility to play C/OG...Neal could play LG while Brandon Moore plays RG...

3. Andre Dyson. This name is the most unrealistic...Though small, he has experience being a LCB but is much better suited for RCB. Has great speed and a nose for the ball. Does get burned quite a bit...Plenty of upside only being 26...Again, won't cost nearly as much as Charles Woodson, Ty Law, Will Allen, etc. etc. Also throw in Ahmed Plummer as a possibility.

Not a bullshit list where i'm gonna say go after Sam Adams, Julian Peterson, Darren Howard, CWoodson etc. etc. Just solid players who could fit the mold of a player Mangini would want.

2. AMJets

AMJets Well-Known Member

I like that list. I think Neal is heading to San Diego though, atleast that was the rumor on PatriotsPlanet. But all three of those players would be welcome additions.

3. californiajet

californiajet Member

that looks very realistic, then if we get #29 from the broncs (also the most realistic outlook) we could draft D brick and Manny Lawson in the first and have a lot of flexibility for the rest of the draft.

4. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

I like the Washington suggestion

5. vilmaisabeast

vilmaisabeast New Member

In the FA we should get
    1.Ted Washington
    2. Brad Hopkins

6. ThunderbirdJet

ThunderbirdJet New Member

Washington has reportedly balooned up to 380 pounds and is coaching in NFL europe.... not to mention he's 37 years old! I really don't understand why anyone thinks he's worth even the vet minimum.... he's been not much more than a washed up fat guy for a couple of years now. Bring him in as a coach, fine.... but as a player? NO thank you!

7. AMJets

AMJets Well-Known Member

He hasn't been "washed up", he's still done the job that he is supposed to do. Eat up space.

8. dabrowsk1

dabrowsk1 Active Member

I want to see Putzier signed. Then Kitna, but more likely it will be a trade for Ramsey. Don't want Washington or Neal. Rather see them draft Mangold or another rookie for Center. Wouldn't mind Mcginest, but I doubt it.

I have a feeling most of the rebuilding this year will be done through the draft, not FA.

9. PinPointPenning10

PinPointPenning10 Well-Known Member

I like it. Dyson was a guy we pursued last year and would complement Barrett either as a #2 or #3 if Miller starts. Neil is a solid guard that would allow Kendall to play center. And Washington is a perfect run clogger for a 3-4.

10. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

11. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

Here's a few guys to look at IMO. I added some CBs because Miller and Strait don't have too much experience and some experienced veterans are needed.

LJ SHelton OT Florida
    Terry Cousin CB Jacksonville
    Andre Davis WR New England
    Steven Neal OG New England
    Renaldo Hill CB Oakland
    Ted Washington DT
    Justin Hartwig C Tennessee
    Brian Finneran WR Villanova
    Grady Jackson DT Knoxville
    Kenytta Walker OT Florida