Sitting at 6 with these options.... What do you do?

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Murrell2878, Jan 28, 2018.

Tags:
  1. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I agree. And I'll concede that he might turn out great, but he also might be Hack 2.0. That said, the "rumblings" are that Macc likes him, and he fits what he supposedly likes in a QB. If they take him, I'll hope for the best, and hope that I'm wrong. I will say this: I'd rather they take a QB like Allen than any other position except Barkley.

legler82 likes this.
  2. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

I'm discussing college career numbers not just senior year, do me a favor and bring those numbers up.

Let's not leave out Allens college career either, he's being hyped as a top 5 pick.

My argument in favor of Falk is based on a complete assessment of the QB, I see you did not bolden any part of my argument with regards to his fundamentals and intangibles, the reason being is you know I'm right about him and you cannot dispute it.

I even acknowledged his weakness and that's his inability to throw the ball 66 mph.

So when your done looking up the stats of all of the hyped up top tier QBs you will also not be able to dispute them. I have done the research and the numbers don't lie.

I will wait for you to put them on before we respectfully continue this discussion.

#42 Red Menace, Jan 28, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2018
  3. Red Menace

I think the hype is too much at this point for Allen to fall. GMs fall in love with specific players and make an emotional attachment to them.

The combines might affect that a little but looking at what Mac did with CH shows how hard it is to break that attachment.

4. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

Think the problem with Falk is he threw a ton and he’s a passer.

Jets just let a guy go for wanting to pass more.

Would love Cleveland to take Allen.

5. Sundayjack

Sundayjack pǝʇɔıppɐ ʎןןɐʇoʇ

I could live with that. I absolutely LOVE Quenton Nelson. Falk? Sure, why not. Because I'm not a huge fan of any of the projected first round guys. Also would be thrilled with Sony Michel in round 2 or 3. If that kid can stay healthy, I think he could have a great career. Sort of like a Kevin Faulk.

Red Menace likes this.
  6. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

Scenario 1 - Baker Mayfield (and thank the football gods he was available)
    Scenario 2 - Mason Rudolph
    Scenario 3 - Yes, if they don't go QB at 6, then a top RB (Barkely or Chubb.) I don't care how many great OL's you draft, you need playmakers to get the Jets O recharged.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  7. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

Technically wasn't the slow start due to Mayfield who actually started the game? I think Allen was going to play in the 2nd half anyway because the North only had 2 QBs (Allen & Lee) once Mayfield left. Remember Mayfield planned to play only a couple of series and Falk was not at the game due to his friend's funeral.

Also, I don't get the North kept getting the ball back by default comment. Out of the 3 North QBs that played Allen was really the only one that was able to move the ball and score against the South defense. The game looked like it was on the verge of getting out of hand at the half. He brought the North back from a 2 score deficit handed the reins over to Lee down by only 2 and then they proceed to get blown out w/o scoring ever again.

8. westiedog1

For this game they instituted a rule that a team trailing by more than 20 points retains possession after a score. Also, a two minute warning in each quarter. They wanted to see how each QB operates a hurry-up offense.

9. legler82

Still confused by the comment. They were not down by 20; score was 21-3 and the 2 minute warning did not mean there was a change in possession.

10. westiedog1

Yeah, I'm confused too! However, at the end of the quarter there could have been a change in possession. The rules state that the winner of the toss (team A) receives the ball to start the game (if they don't defer). Then team B gets the ball to start the second quarter on their 25. Team B receives the kickoff to start the second half and team A starts the fourth quarter on their 25.

11. Ozymandias

Ozymandias Well-Known Member

I'd take Connor Williams in both scenarios.

Murrell2878 likes this.
  12. legler82

Yes but that not what happen on his 2 TD drives. He scored on the opening drive of the 3rd quarter. The South received the kick-off went 3 and out and punted. He got the ball and proceeded to drive the North down for another TD before getting pulled. Those scoring drives had nothing to do with any of those rules.

13. footballfundamentals

footballfundamentals Well-Known Member

Sony Michel is a first round draft pick. Nick Chubb is more like a second round pick.

14. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Gettleman had a really interesting comment the other day. He said the Giants had only had the 2 pick once and they took Lawrence Taylor with it. He also said the Giants would get the best value out of the pick that they could. I don't know what he thinks about Davis Webb but I would not be shocked at all if the Giants traded out of the pick or chose a consensus #1 prospect who dropped because the Browns took the consensus #1 QB instead of him,

15. Sundayjack

Sundayjack pǝʇɔıppɐ ʎןןɐʇoʇ

No one has to sell me on Sony Michel. Love that kid. I've followed that Sony since his recruitment. Chub too, but Sony was a friggin' monster as far back as 8th grade. I wouldn't hesitate to grab Michel toward the bottom of the first round. The idiot draft "experts" have both of them the 2nd-3rd round range, trending toward Michel first. Nick Chubb is talented, strong and has a crazy-good work ethic, but something about him was just never the same after he blew out his knee. Wouldn't surprise me if he breaks his ass to become a solid pro, though.

I wouldn't hate it if the Jets ended up trading down in the first round, picking up another 2nd round pick and taking Sony Michel toward the end of round one. Mostly because I'm not all ga-ga over the offensive talent in the first round. Every other Jets fan would probably go berserk, though. I like Sony that much. If you need a first down, he can get you a first down, both catching passes and running. My ONLY concern about Sony Michel is his dedication to football. It's not that he doesn't work, he just seems to have a little more celebrity in his personality. Playing in NY could be a distraction for his career.

Worst case of all, for me, would be if Sony Michel were sitting on the Board at the end of Round 1 - which isn't unlikely - and the Patriots snapped him up. They thrive on guys like him, and they'd probably love a guy to compete against Dion Lewis and James White as their contracts come up.

16. Red Menace

So they are taking Barkley?

17. westiedog1

The way I see it, there is not one franchise QB in this draft. However, there are 6 or 7 QBs who have a good shot at becoming franchise QBs. You don't draft a franchise QB, you draft a guy you hope will be a franchise QB.

101GangGreen101 likes this.
  18. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

That's the case every draft.

19. westiedog1

I give up.

20. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Yeah there are no sure fire prospects in this draft like Luck. Whatever team got Luck, more than likely would've taken them to higher heights. You take the QB that fits what you are doing and hope it works out. Tailor the offense around those skill-sets. There are about 6 or 7 guys that could become the guy. I agree. That's why I bang on the table for Jackson over a Mayfield because he certainly fits what we are doing, despite the naysayers saying he is just a running QB, he is actually very patient in the pocket and can make effortless throws down the field. Good leader too.

All Gas No Shake and westiedog1 like this.