Singer Prince Dead at 57

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by abyzmul, Apr 21, 2016.

1. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

wait... prince died? damn..

2. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Yup. Now if you can take a leak and get back to bed without stubbing your toe...

alleycat9 likes this.
  3. Sundayjack

Sundayjack pǝʇɔıppɐ ʎןןɐʇoʇ

Recovering from brain cancer surgery. I was up late doing my taxes.

4. joe

joe Well-Known Member

Sunday's Prince Lasagna Day.

5. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

Not buying it. Only the little people pay taxes.

6. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

Listening to something on TV right now, but I missed the beginning. Prince was addicted to opiods, but did not knowingly take Fentanyl. They were counterfeit pills. It was counterfeit Vicodin laced with a shit ton of Fentanyl. They can't trace the source of the drugs, so no charges will be filed. However, one of his doctors was fined a $30K civil penalty. Prince was lined up to wean off painkillers, but died before he could do so. Prosecutor naming Dr. names, but insufficient evidence to nail anyone with criminal charges. Prince was a private person, he didn't own a cell phone and there was very little digital imprint left behind. The conclusion is that one - or a couple of the other doctors mentioned - were just trying to help him out, and in an effort to protect his privacy, he somehow got a batch of fake shit that was stamped like regular Vicodiin. Ruled an accidental death, no formal charges, and the case is closed. Anyway, still weird.

7. NotSatoshiNakamoto

8. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

With my upcoming trip to Minneapolis falling, once again, on days Paisley Park is closed, I’m now 0-3 in the last 12 months trying to take the tour. My daughter is pleased because she is intent on going with me and doesn’t think I should see it without her.

9. jetophile

You are 0-3 trying to visit Paisley Park! It's those damn VLT Excel spread sheets! That's your problem! Maybe you'll work it out by 2028! Godspeed, you dummy!

Signed,
    -Mrs. championjets69 :mad:

JetBlue likes this.
  10. jetophile

I stumbled across this. Footage of a grade school Prince discovered by accident. Pretty cool and so worth the watch if you're a big fan:

https://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2022/04/04/prince-rare-footage-1970/

EDIT: I just wanted to add that his childhood friend's reaction is great as well as his wife's. Obviously the guy married his childhood sweetheart to top it off. It's very sweet.

#90 jetophile, Apr 5, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2022
    Satan likes this.
  11. Savatage

Savatage Well-Known Member

Pretty cool!

jetophile likes this.
  12. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Talent. So few people have it and it dripped out of every pore for him.

13. jetophile

The guy was wicked talented regardless of whether or not you care for his music. I would get a little middle-of-the-road sometimes just because some of his hits were beaten with a sledgehammer over my head after 'Purple Rain' (including the movie). Anyway, he was very groundbreaking and he was a kick-ass guitarist, which I think gets overlooked sometimes.

Who had the balls to wear makeup and a garter belt and go all Marv Albert on stage back in the day? LMAO. Wild for the time, and, uh, yeah, um, ballsy. I think it's kind of neat also that he stayed close to his roots in Minneapolis and really gave a lot to that community. @JetBlue would enjoy the video I'm sure.

By the by, 'Under the Cherry Moon' is a great song, but sorry Prince Rogers Nelson, the movie sucked.

JetBlue and Red Menace like this.
  14. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

The bolded was funny! When we were kids, one of our friends almost got beat up for saying Prince was more talented than Michael Jackson. However as we became more familiar with Prince and his skills, singing, song writing for others, playing multiple instruments, it was obvious our friend was right.

I could be wrong but I feel Prince doesn’t get the credit he deserves as musician.

In the video, it was the side look with the smirk that immediately gave him away, even without hearing him he was recognizable.

15. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

He would have been the Little Richard for our generation. The ageless talent who could go on stage and perform at the drop of a hat if required.

His death was like Robin Williams, a bolt out of the blue that took one of my favorite performers.

16. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

Damn you, Fentanyl!

17. jetophile

It's more like some of his doctors should be in jail for life. See an earlier post of mine. He got a bad batch.

18. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

Prince's brilliance as a musician is greater than the brilliance of his actual music. Under the Cherry Moon is a great example. Great song, extremely weak album. Even Prince wasn't happy with the album or movie according to the book "Prince and the Parade and Sign “O” the Times Era Studio Sessions 1985 to 1986" (which is an excellent listen or read if you want to understand his brilliance). I never liked the album, so I was pleased to learn that my response to it wasn't unusual.

He certainly had a stretch of brilliant music from '81 - '87 with Controversy, 1999, Purple Rain, Around the World in a Day and Sign O The Times. Parade is the only exception from that period, coming between ATWIAD and Sign O The Times. But, ultimately, his prolificness was both an example of his brilliance and his greatest enemy. He simply wrote, recorded and released so much music that it would have been impossible to have everything hit like that period of music. I also think his 93-96 output is also brilliant, with Come, The Gold Experience and Chaos and Disorder, which was possibly conceived as a single triple album and was what insitigated the writing of Slave on his face when Warner Bros refused to release it. Prince told them that was all the music they would get to fulfill his contract, broke it up into three albums and became a pioneer in the fight for artists ownership of their masters and online distribution.

19. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

I've had a few interactions with Prince... they were all awkward. :confused:

20. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

Like Kevin Smith awkward?

jetophile and JetBlue like this.