Since when is "playing hard" something to hang your hat on?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Longsuffering88, Oct 23, 2017.

1. Longsuffering88

Longsuffering88 Well-Known Member

Reminds me of the great Chris Rock joke.

"We'll at least he takes care of his kids"

Well duh, "You SUPPOSED to take care of your kids !!!!!!!"

What the F kind of snowflake world we live in where a coach and team gets praised for playing hard?

Is that it? Is that the new measure of success? Playing hard?

Man the bar has been set soo low for the SOJ, that we cheer for losers who play hard. Omg I can't take it anymore....

#1 Longsuffering88, Oct 23, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2017
    dogg, tbruner12, boozer32 and 2 others like this.
  2. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Happiness = Results - Expectations. Since we no longer have any expectations, we're happy with anything.

3. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

We've also seen teams quit on coaches, not only here, but throughout the league. The 2012 Jets come to mind. The Rams towards the end of Jeff Fisher's tenure come to mind.

This team very well could've rolled over and it would've been fine because it was expected that we'd suck.

Teams quit on coaches all the time. It's not far fetched to think that certain coaches do not motivate certain teams to play as hard as they can.

4. Longsuffering88

Or maybe these Jets haven't quit on
    Bowles because most still on rookie deals and have not been "paid" yet?

5. Jonathan_Vilma

Or maybe Bowles gets his players to respond and is a much more charismatic type of players coach than we see during his 7 minutes of talking during press conferences that we see?

I've never heard anyone talk badly about Bowles. Whether it's players he's coached, coaches or executives he's been around or just people that have been around him.

He deserves a lot more credit as a coach than he's gotten from us (me as well) in his tenure here. He struggles with game management at times.

He was making great in-game adjustments his first year here. He was bleh his second year in that department but the team was a disaster. He's coached a good team and is helping to develop the youth of the roster. It's obvious that he's at the very least a decent coach.

You're just nitpicking really. If the team makes you THAT upset, it might be time to find a new hobby.

I get pissed too. But not to the point where I 'can't take it anymore.' That's not healthy for you, bub.

TwoHeadedMonster likes this.
  6. Longsuffering88

Your post is logical, well thought out, articulate and smart

But I don't agree

LoL

Sorry. The evidence (wins and losses) and secondary evidence (gameplans, in game adjustments, vet nut hugging, and poor clock management) suggests Bowles is a BAD coach.

7. Jonathan_Vilma

Not really. We've overachieved to this point. We're an average team. We were predicted to have the worst roster in the NFL. The rest of the NFL is average right now. We're right in the thick of things.

Not too bad for a roster that some thought would be historically bad.

I'm starting to be in favor of continuity for continuity sake of your coach isn't blatantly bad. He's not blatantly bad. Bad franchises run through coaches like they're hookers on the strip. Good franchises give coaches a chance to build something.

He was given a roster with a two year window to compete. It failed as all the veterans went to shit at the same time and we hung our hat on a one year wonder quarterback. Now he gets a chance to really thoroughly develop a young roster. He deserves at least another year to see if all these young players can turn into something as a team.

NYJFOREVER likes this.
  8. twown

twown Well-Known Member

Dwayne Wade is now coming off the bench for Cleveland. Tyrone Lue said Wade came to him and said, "you're right, coach. If you put me with the second unit, I'll be featured more and be able to handle the ball more. Let's do it."

Lue said this shows that wade is a pro with "no ego."

This is what passes for "no ego" in sports today. Agreeing to a role change so you can be "featured more."

It's a very different world.

BrowningNagle likes this.
  9. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

That's how you caress the mental cock of the losers, so they can masturbate and feel good about the result.

10. Chrisiue

Chrisiue Well-Known Member

After watching Williams attempt to play two hand touch when tackling Revis just hanging out and Marshall quitting around game four last year after demanding the team bring back Fitz you can’t wonder why some of us are pleased that they are playing hard.

11. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

"Playing hard" is important, but there's a lot more to being a good coach than just motivating players. Bowles lacks in a number of these areas.

But also, let's see if they play hard after a few more losses and the playoffs aren't even a remote possibility. If he can keep them playing hard to the bitter end, that would be an accomplishment.

12. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

I think playing hard considering the absolute dumpster of a team we were last year is why fans are excited. Personally, I'm happy the team is playing hard and have also seemed to become a tight knit group who actually like each other, versus last year, but if we are going to retain a coach just because the team played hard for him we are going to continue to suck. Team played hard for rex too but we all saw how that turned out. We retained him for another year and he ended up getting canned the following year. I still see the same mistakes from Bowles and I think it's pretty safe to say that he will be a flawed HC going forward.

Jets will need to decide what route they want to go but if Hack or Petty aren't the answer and I have the cap space I have in 2018, I would get rid of Bowles, get an O-minded coach and draft a young QB. Then you can use free agency and draft picks to get that young QB some weapons. We need o-line help, and we need some more game breaking talents on offense.

13. oldrover

oldrover Member

My mind's eye... my mind's eye...

[​IMG]

Ahhh... :)

14. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Remember, this is the only fanbase that celebrated consecutive AFCCG losses as if just getting there were victories. Kinda like Bills fans celebrating 4 SB losses.

15. oldrover

oldrover Member

4 STRAIGHT Super Bowl appearances (losses). That is unbelievably difficult. Look at the Falcons. They lost one, and they're basket cases.

TwoHeadedMonster and Cman68 like this.
  16. STARoSCREAM

STARoSCREAM Well-Known Member

couldnt agree with this point more.

We all know a franchise doesn't turn around in 1-2 years. Not if you want to build a sustainable success. We tried that in 09-11 and it worked well for 2 years and its been a wreck ever since. Im not a Bowles fan nor hater. I'm ok with giving him a chance.

Having a young core that plays hard every game is important ESPECIALLY in a rebuild year. When we were predicted to be one of the worst teams in the NFL. Next year we can add a lot of talent via FA to bolster the roster.

And yes, I'm aware if we don't address the QB position then its all for nothing, but baby steps.

oldrover likes this.
  17. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Plus 10000
    Like Vilma posted they will give shoddy Toddy another year ..you watch

Suppose Bowles needs 2 or 3 more years to get better as a Coach...are we willing to wait?

Hmmm I've waited since 1969 for a SB and since 2009 for a playoff appearance..yeah right be patient

Higher an Offensive minded coach ...that would be ideal But the seats are filled and Waldo/Woody don't care

boozer32 and ColoradoContrails like this.
  18. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

JV. We just finished week 7. Still over half the season to go. It is too early to suggest this team won't roll over. They did last year and very well could do it again this year or look like 2012 Jets or Rams teams you mention by the end of the year.

the early returns in terms of effort has been good but its usually when the games get more meaningless and the weather colder that players start to quit anyway

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  19. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

The Jets played hard throughout 2012, winning even in December (fans complained about 'meaningless' wins, which sounds familiar again).
    They just weren't a good team, and Sanchez was straight terrible until benched for McElroy, who was also terrible.

2016 and 2008 were much better examples of players throwing in the towel on a season.
    I think with some dead weight removed from roster, Bowles is doing a much better job motivating the team this season tho.

20. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Unlike some Jet fans, you NEVER hear Bills fans even mention that ever happened.