Since it's all but official that Cousins will be a FA.

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by TonyFtLaud, Jan 31, 2018.

1. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

Just curious what everyone thinks he will be paid as a free agent. I'm thinking with so many QB needy teams,
    Cousins will likely set the new mark for NFL contracts surpassing Stafford's deal.
    Something around a $ 55 million dollar signing bonus, $9 4million guaranteed , $62.5 million guaranteed at signing.
    $27.5 million per year annual salary.
    That's a big # but in line with the economics of the League.

FJF likes this.
  2. Patriot

Patriot Well-Known Member

Tony he could be a 30 million dollar a year QB, how sick is that? Hopefully he will not be wearing a Jet uniform or otherwise the Jets are really stupid!

3. TonyFtLaud

He won't get $30 million but he will get a little more than Stafford. It's inevitable. Every year the top FAs make more than their highest paid counterpart.
    I actually think Cousins would be a great signing, gives the Jets a long term answer at QB, allows them a ton of flexibility in the draft, possibly even a trade back scenario to add additional picks which can be used to solidify the o line or possibly stay put and take Barkley. Address the o line with both second round picks and add a WR or someone like Ziggy Ansah to add a pass rush.
    Still have plenty of additional picks and cap space to roll over to 2019.
    Keeps the rebuild on track and greatly improves the roster.

FJF likes this.
  4. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

I’d like the signing of Cousins if the Jets heavily front loaded the contract giving themselves an out after 2-3 years as well as drafting one of the 2nd tier QBs like Falk.

I’d probably prefer to draft one of the top QBs though.

5. TonyFtLaud

QB contracts are always guaranteed for the first 3 years. That's why the key money is the guaranteed at signing amount. The larger guaranteed amount is for injury. I'd expect the first years base salary to be fairly low with most built into the signing bonus giving more cap flexibility for which ever team signs him. Especially if Denver lands him as they don't have near the money the Jets currently have.

6. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Who cares...I dont

7. TonyFtLaud

Yeah you do.
    It would give you something new to complain about if the Jets sign him ;)

FJF likes this.
  8. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

There aren’t that many QB needy teams that won’t have an opportunity to draft one.

9. PickSix

PickSix Well-Known Member

If he's smart he heads straight to Jacksonville

10. TonyFtLaud

Arizona and Buffalo say hello.
    There are plenty of QBs, the cahance any of them becoming a top ten is slim. An aging team like Denver can't wait for a rookie to come into his prime or even to be ready to take the field. Cards don't even have a backup on their roster. The Browns can have the pick of the draft and will still throw a ton of money at cousins. Bills are another QB needy team. Every one of those teams has holes and could easily throw a ton of cash his way to avoid giving up a ton of draft picks to move up for a project QB.

11. TonyFtLaud

Jacksonville is stuck with Bortles next year. He had wrist surgery so his $19 million option is all but guaranteed.They only have about$16 million in cap space. Telvin Smith and Marcel Dareus ate up most of the cap they were expecting to have.
    I can't see them committing close to $50 million to the QB position.

12. PickSix

PickSix Well-Known Member

The contract would have definitely been guaranteed had he NOT had the surgery (it's guaranteed for injury). The option also kicks in if he is on the roster the first day of the League Year (4pm March 14). If his injury is cleared by then, that injury scenario goes out the window. Lots of time between now and the League year.

If not Jacksonville, then Minnesota is an equally enticing landing spot for Cousins, followed by Denver. Sure, there are lots of other QB-needy teams, but the guy will be 30 when the regular season starts, and being possibly his last big payday, he should be wanting to go to a team that is ready to win it all now.

13. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

This is why the Redskins are a joke. They should have just paid Cousins either last year or 2 years ago. Now they are downgrading their QB as a result and bringing in a 33 year old. My guess is that Denver pulls the trigger.

14. playtowinthegame

playtowinthegame Well-Known Member

Redskins were already a joke with Cousins. They couldn't beat good teams or win primetime games with him. Why pay 30 mill for that? Alex Smith gives them a better chance to win more games in the short term and more bang for their buck.

Patriot likes this.
  15. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

I still don't care anymore...especially since the Captain is Denver bound according to Colin Cowherd

16. Patriot

Tony you might be right but there are a lot of desperate teams out there. He will be over paid this is what is obvious.

Lets take a team like Jacksonville and the Jets. The Jets will have to pay more for Cousins to sign.

If the Jets sink a lot of money into Cousins that's money that could be used for other roster positions.

The smart GM move is to pay less for a drafted QB. It may not work but it has the most potential of return on investment.

I am not saying Cousins is a bum, but he will not be worth the money.

17. Patriot

The Captain is going where the money is, so if Denver they will need to go into the vault. Elway is smart, I don't see him throwing all his money at Cousins.

18. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

Except he’s not a free agent yet so there is no way there’s a deal between them.

19. Patriot

Its not about getting a good QB only. Its about getting a good QB and not paying an arm and a leg. Eventually after rookie contract is over whether it be 4 or 5 years, then its time to pay or franchise. Young QBs are always a better investment in the long run. Even if they are a bust, the loss is much less than an expensive bust with an older expensive player.

Spending money on a QB that is not even elite is foolish and at best leads to at best a playoff team that never goes anywhere. Why because this prevents you from spending the money elsewhere in the roster.

The
    (price you pay for a player)
    ------------------------------------
    (how good the player is)

is the most important consideration and defines the true value for a player from this ratio. The higher the ratio number the better for the team. Start developing a roster of players with excellent player value and then and only then can you be truly a potential championship team.

So before getting all excited about any QB for the Jets you need to consider my simple formula here.

playtowinthegame likes this.
  20. playtowinthegame

playtowinthegame Well-Known Member

Excellent post. That part I bolded is so true. Signing Cousins makes the Jets just good enough to be interesting, but they're never winning an AFC championship let alone a Super Bowl. With Cousins as their starting quarterback, they become the Bengals. Kirk Cousins would be to the Jets what Andy Dalton is to the Bengals. Todd Bowles will keep his job like Marvin Lewis. Jets would be in PURGATORY for the next 5 years minimum if Rain Man Mac signs Cousins.

Patriot likes this.