Sign Barnidge

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by AJT73, Apr 28, 2017.

1. AJT73

AJT73 Well-Known Member

Just released by the Browns. Him Sefarian Jenkins and a draft pick and we go from an awful laughing stock to a decent group of tight ends. Add in Barnidge's history with McNown I'd be good with that. Be good for the young qbs too to have an experienced tight end who can be a safety valve.

almbleamal likes this.
  2. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

He's 31 so he's not exactly part of the future but I'd bring him on board to help out whatever young QB we go with at some point during this season. Make life as easy as possible on them.

Royal Tee likes this.
  3. TouchyFeely

TouchyFeely Well-Known Member

Barnidge and Adam Shaheen in the 3rd.

Shaheen is 6'6 280 and runs a high 4.7. Converted WR who has the frame and strength to become a great inline blocker.

Only problem is some are expecting him to go in the second, if he drops to our first pick in the third we should jump on him.

matt robinson 17 likes this.
  4. Martin&theJETS

Martin&theJETS Well-Known Member

5. ChrebetCrunch

ChrebetCrunch Well-Known Member

Is Barnidge hurt? If he is healthy, he is an immediate upgrade to our TE corp. How much do you think he commands per year?

6. Ptflea2

Ptflea2 Well-Known Member

2 years ago, he and McCown had some decent chemistry = 79 catches, 1,000+ yards and 9 TDs. Hell, we haven't seen that kind of production from all our tight ends over the last 6 years combined.

Last year his salary was 1.5 mil

7. jetlife21

jetlife21 Well-Known Member

I'd definitely kick the tires but we absolutely still need to draft a TE. Barnidge/ASJ/Rookie TE would make us all set at the position.

8. DarrelleRevis.Human?

DarrelleRevis.Human? Well-Known Member

This makes sense for so many reasons.

• Allows us to focus on other areas of need in the draft
    • Offers the veteran experience and safety outlet for a young QB this season
    • This move would only slightly effect cap space and as previously stated not tie up a draft pick for this year
    • With a vet player like this in place it offers an opportunity to further evaluate a healthy ASJ, who could still be a option for the future moving forward

There was one TE in David Njoku who I had realistic expectations and hopes that we would draft. After he was selected I was resigned to punt at TE in the draft. I see no reason to reach on mediocrity for sake of "need", especially when you can invest a small amount of cap to fix the situation this year. A year that cap isn't going to be spent anyways. If we didn't have a 24 year old ASJ who's a physical specimen on the roster and hasn't been given a fair shake yet I would feel completely different.

#8 DarrelleRevis.Human?, Apr 29, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2017
  9. BamaDoc

BamaDoc Active Member

I would not mind drafting two TE on the third day especially if we can get one more pick. If two I would not as he will only delay development in a rebuild year. If we draft one, I could see it especially with ASJ having the suspension.

10. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

He's healthy, but according to the article I read about his release, following his 2015 season with the Browns where he had 1,000 yards and 9 TDs, he signed a sizeable contract. Of course, that's void since he was released, but he might still want big $s. If the Jets can afford him, I say sign him. He will help Hack or Petty as a safety valve.

ChrebetCrunch likes this.
  11. Jetsfansince95

Jetsfansince95 Well-Known Member

Make it happen Mac

12. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

This actually might make sense.. Hopefully Leggett can become a decent player, but I highly doubt he's a day one starter..

I think Barnidge would be helpful for anyone under center, especially if Hackenberg or Petty gets playing time

13. mr nyjet

mr nyjet Well-Known Member

the browns had the worse record in the league, and we are signing guys that they released/let walk ( this guy and mc cown)?

14. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I'd like the idea of bringing him on as he's a well-rounded tightend. I always liked the idea of two tightend sets for youthful quarterbacks. Give them two safeties nets along with the runningback and allow us to employ heavier sets in the run game.

I wonder how the new offensive coordinator feels about that. He seems to come moreso from a history of a spread system, which seems mind boggling if we're trying to develop Hackenberg (a pro-style quarterback).

Maybe Morton was brought in to tailor to the strengths of Petty? Or maybe I'm wrong about the type of system he'll run, but I'm just assuming so based on what the Saints had run in the past.

They must feel good about ASJ though if we're not pursuing him.

15. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

McCown had good rapport with him in 2015--seems like a nice fit here if in fact we want to maybe win some games this year.