Shouldn't Bowles AND Maccagnan be fired if the Jets Tank?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by The Dark Knight, Aug 10, 2017.

1. RuJFan

RuJFan Well-Known Member

Guess which finger im holding up

2. ChrebetCrunch

ChrebetCrunch Well-Known Member

I root for New York teams with the exception of the 76ers. I don't know why I chose the 76ers over the Knicks, but I suppose that I liked the team in red instead of blue.

Sam Hinkie dismantled the 76ers and stockpiled first and second rounders. The 76ers now have talented youth and a ridiculous amount of cap room for 2018. At the very least, the future looks very good for the 76ers. The Jets don't have any stockpiled picks, but we do have a ton of cap space in 2018.

It's a forgone conclusion that 2017 is going to be a miserable year. We'll win 3-4 games and get another high pick in 2018.

My prediction is that Mac is going to build a monster OL with the draft and free agency. I don't mind that he didn't draft OL for the sake of drafting OL. The worst thing you could do is draft guys who can play but have a low ceiling. They hog up roster spots. I'd rather wait for the right guys than keep taking shots in the dark, especially with the weak OL draft class in 2017.

If he doesn't build a monster OL in 2018, my trust of Mac will be lost, and we could start this process over with another GM and HC. I just have a gut feeling that Mike has a plan and he has been sticking to it.

NCJetsfan and Red Menace like this.
  3. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Are you really discounting that Denver had a HOF QB - albeit over the hill, but he still knew how to win?

Yes, you need a strong "D" to win a championship, but you also need to be able to come abck and score when the good teams you always face in the playoffs inevitably score on your "impregnable" defense. The Jets stubborn insistence that they can build a championship caliber team primarily with defense is idiotic.

4. ColoradoContrails

With normal teams this would be true, but with idiot Woody deciding to make Macc and Bowles co-equals, it's not. The dysfunction of this arrangement is dooming the Jets.

5. ColoradoContrails

You're vastly under-estimating how good Mahomes, Watson, Trubitsky are. In any case, all three are better than what the Jets currently have, nad would make a bigger impact than taking two DBs instead of one of them.

6. Joe Willie White Shoes

Joe Willie White Shoes Well-Known Member

What is all the whining about this roster and this season about? Are you all that short sighted? In 2014, the Jets were terrible, with an over his head Ryan as HC. The Jets beat the Titans in a meaningless game in week. Tennessee picks second the Jets pick 6th. TB was terrible that year also. TB picks Winston #1 and Tenn picks Mariotta #2. Now TB and Ten are teams on the rise with star QBs also on the rise. The Jets are on the same hamster wheel. The Jets need to suck this year and draft a QB with one of the first two picks in the draft. The Jets need to use the draft and the cap space to build an OL and add some skill players who are not 30-35 years old. End of story. Who cares if this team goes 1-15 if that means two years from now we have a franchise QB and a young strong OL with developing receivers??? Would keeping Decker and Harris and a few others and adding a better QB from FA than McCown so that the team wins 5-7 games make a difference? So for 4-5 weeks this season some of you can feel better about being a Jets fan by winning a game here and there? And then in 2019 its the same story all over again- no QB, fire the coach, team sucks etc.

This season is going to be long and difficult and full of losses. The only way to screw it up would be to win enough games so that SF, Clev, Buff etc have higher picks and the Jets are left taking a defensive player again while those teams have future QB stars. Stop belly aching and take a view longer than one season. If you don't like what the Jets are doing, don't watch, adopt a team for a season, or play fantasy football. But don't bash the plan, which is the best one the Jets have had in 10-20 years.

same old jets and NCJetsfan like this.
  7. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Maybe. Only time will tell. I didn't like what I saw from the three during their college games, if I had to add my two cents.

8. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

I mostly agree with this but the problem I have with it is I know it's not so easy to just get one of the first two picks, we don't even know at this point if there will be a QB worthy of drafting in the top 2, let alone 2 of them. We have like 6ish games against teams that could challenge for a top 10 pick and on any given Sunday a terrible team like the Jets can beat a team like that.

We were in position this last draft to choose a very talented QB and we passed for another defensive player. Now Mac needs to first hope we are in position to get a better prospect next draft and then hope there is a better prospect available. He gets either of those wrong and he should be fired on the spot.

ColoradoContrails and Red Menace like this.
  9. Jets_Grinch

Jets_Grinch Well-Known Member

I'm not discounting it at all. I still believe Peyton is likely the best to ever play the game but he was middle of the pack that last year. Rex beat that same Peyton as well as Brady on route to his second straight AFCC game with Mark Sanchez. That same 2010 Jets team probably goes to the Super Bowl if the D doesn't come out flat in the first half against Pitt. You can get in the championship picture with a great defence, then you need a top third of the league QB to close out the deal.

10. ChrebetCrunch

ChrebetCrunch Well-Known Member

Bowles and Mac are safe through the 2018 season. It is abundantly clear that this season is going to be a disaster. A GM who is worried about his job security doesn't start the 2017 season with swiss cheese for an OL. This was authorized by Woody before he left to be an Ambassador on Trump's staff. I'm fine with it, for as long as we make a splash in the offseason.

We are going to have eleventy billion dollars to spend in 2018, and I hope that we can move either Mo or Richardson for even more room and additional picks.

I trust the process.

Edit - I guess I already said the same thing only a few posts earlier.

11. sec314

sec314 Well-Known Member

I am so sick of losing, its gotten so old as we all know so saying we are going to rebuld and this is the way to go does not make it any easier, I am not ready for this crap. Last night was awful. I am so glad I gave up seasons and I guess at some point I am gonna do other things when the Jets are on and just watch the 4:25 game and red zone or I am going to sour on football all together. Not whinning just be honest, this shit HAS gotten old. Don't feel like wasting my time anymore. I feel like a moron.

Just because your plan is sound does not mean the execution will be successful. I just don't have faith in our 2 leaders to get it done. No evidence at this point that they are on the same page or can pull it off. And yes, I agree, they will be back next year regardless or else why would they rip this team apart and start over just to give it to someone else.

ColoradoContrails and Red Menace like this.
  12. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

I agree with your assessment, the plan is understandable and sound but I don't trust Woody, Mac or Bowles to accomplish it.

13. JethroTull

JethroTull 2018 Least Knowledgeable Poster

It's been a very bad training camp for both of them. They invested some significant draft capital in guys like Mauldin, Shell, Hackenberg, and Petty who have not performed well (outside of Bryce who has played well is past two times out against backups).

The Hackenberg pick is really going to kill him which I predicted going into this offseason. Even if he drafted a couple of good WRs and found a guy like Anderson they can't perform well with the worst QB since Ryan Lindley at the helm.

14. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I have been one of Mac's staunchest defenders, but those days are all but done. While your bolded sentence may be true with most GMs, most GMs who were trying to develop two young QBs and determine if they can be the answer going forward don't leave them vulnerable and with little or no chance of developing by having a shit OL in front of them either. Further, with a new OC and an offense that has by and large been ignored for over 10 years, the OL's play is crucial. Having a crappy OL gives the OL little chance to succeed, or the team to see what they have in the young offensive players they do have. The only thing imo that makes any sense is that this is the way that Mac truly is tanking. He knows that if the OL is shit the team will have no chance to win any games.

OL should have been one of Mac's top two priorities when he was hired. He knew that both Mangold and Ferguson would be retiring sooner rather than later. He knew they didn't have a quality RT, and that Winters had been mediocre. The only thing Mac has really done to help the OL was to sign Carpenter after he failed to sign the top two OG prospects in FA. This was not a good draft for OL, but last year was, and I think 2015 wasn't too bad, either. There have also been some pretty good OL available in FA that the Jets could have signed.

I'm hanging onto the Mac bandwagon by the fingernails on my pinky fingers.

If Woody truly authorized Mac's not doing anything substantial with the OL, then we might as well all go find another team to root for, because there will be no hope as long as that moron owns the team.

#134 NCJetsfan, Aug 27, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2017
  15. jerseyjay14

jerseyjay14 Well-Known Member

both should be fired mid season. give a new gm some time to form a plan, give him an interim coach and let him pick his guy in the offseason

Jets69 likes this.
  16. RuJFan

RuJFan Well-Known Member

Propose new GM and new coach.

FJF likes this.
  17. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

This should have already happened back when Rex was terminated. With Woody in jolly ole England now, maybe his lil bro has more football sense and stops with this bullshit Org chart that simply doesn't work for the Jets. If we're gonna roll with Macc as the GM, might as well let him choose his HC too and go with a different, more traditional chain of command.

Hell, what's the definition of doing the same thing over and over expecting a different result???

answer: The New York Jets.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  18. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

Didn't read through any of this, but if they do get fired, who will replace them? Nobody wants to dip one toe in to this franchise. Franchise. Like the Jack In the Box that poisoned hundreds with e-coli.

19. bigbucks24

bigbucks24 Active Member

Isn't Mac the one that "gave them zero"?

ColoradoContrails, FJF and Red Menace like this.
  20. bigbucks24

bigbucks24 Active Member

Couldn't A have a direct reflection on B and C? I mean, let's say that Josh is the best QB in practice as far as the things that the players see that maybe we don't. He gets them in and out of the huddle quickly. He calls the plays with confidence and authority. He throws to the correct receiver (though maybe not always accurately). He says the right things in the team meetings. He is respected by the team for the way he carries himself and the way he interacts with the other players.. He shows the leadership that the players see. They realize that he is the best QB for the job. You task Bowles with holding players accountable and leading the locker room. But you force him to play an inferior player by saying that he can only play Josh 2-4 games. Isn't part of holding people accountable playing the best player? Isn't leading the locker room partly playing the guy that gives the g\best chance for the team to win? No one in that locker room wants to lose. No one in that locker room is willing to lose just so the FO can get a good assessment of the QBs. They all want to win. They all have pride and big egos. No one is ok with losing. You are going to force him not to play the better player and then fire him because he lost the locker room because of it? E can also be added to the equation. You want inspired football, but you are going to tell the team that they don't get the best QB. They have to play with Hack or Petty, knowing he is not the best. I really believe that maintaining respect, controlling the locker room, and getting inspired play are in part because of holding people accountable. And the best way to hold people accountable is the play the best players.